Topics

Instein box running OnStep 4.17k

"Guilherme Vênere

Hello

  This is mainly for owners of the Instein box. I think I have succeeded in updating mine to the latest master OnStep 4.17k. It required a few changes to add the Ïnstein pinmap and update some variable names to the 4.xx nomenclature, but i was able to successfully upload the sketch and connect with my SHC (see image)

image.png

I still need to check if the motors are moving correctly, but the issue I found so far is that i'm unable to flash the Wifi module with the latest code. I'm not sure if the changes to OnStep would affect the wifi reflashing, as the box has a switch to flash wifi separately from the main module. I might be doing something stupid there but still need to confirm. When booting normally, the web server respond but i'm getting empty pages every time

If i can fix this issue and confirm everything works with the hardware, i will send a pull request with the changes to Github and Howard can decide what to do, but i'll keep a copy on my Github too.

There's one thing though i don't know how to solve, and i may need help from someone more experienced in programming here. Instein require changes to two pins in HardwareSerial.cpp as mentioned in his custom code:

// - ADITIONALLY YOU MUST MADE A CHANGE on your HardwareSerial.ccp file code lines 10 & 14, this file is usually located on:
//     C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.1\cores\esp32\HardwareSerial.ccp
//     Change the lines "#define RX1 9" & "#define TX1 10" by "#define RX1 21" & "#define TX1 22" respectively.
//     This change is mandatory for this firmware to work and in this way, OnStep AUX port will work as second serial port an enable
//     a set of conectivity options: aditional wifi, bluetooth or USB, RF Link, ethernet or future serial devices.

Is there a way to overwrite these changes from OnStep code itself to avoid having to mess around with the library files?

Guilherme

"Guilherme Vênere

Hello again

I was able to fix the issue with flashing the Wifi module. The Instein custom OnStep uses a bridge between SerialA and SerialB on initialization to send the firmware to the wifi module directly without using the :ESPFLASH# command.

But now i'm facing an issue which i can't solve and i need some help. If I flash OnStep 4.17, the Wifi module won't work at all. It doesn't matter if i use the one from Instein code (based on 3.16 release) or the Wifi module from the master branch. However if I flash OnStep 3.16, both the old and the new Wifi module work fine. As a test, i tried to connect to the web server using TELNET on port 80, and i got the error below when i sent a simple HTTP GET request

image.png

Which indicates the server is running, but something in the backend is not. I suspect that the Wifi module is not able to communicate properly with OnStep, but i can't find where this code is. I'm looking at OnStep code, since this is the variable that breaks the server when I change.

Everything else seems to be working fine. I can connect my SHC and it reports the correct firmware version in OnStep, and I can connect to the box via USB, and even slew with Stellarium. It's only the Wifi module which is not working, neither the web server nor the control ports (9999 and 9998)

Khalid or Howard, any idea where i can look next?

Thanks

Guilherme

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 6:43 PM "Guilherme Vênere via groups.io <venere=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

It's me again

image.png

Yay! i did it! I forgot to add an initialization routine from Instein code to 4.17 code, and after that the Wifi module works again!

Now i just need to test the motors tomorrow during the day and if that works i'll have a fully working master branch for Instein OnStep!

Guilherme

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 12:01 AM "Guilherme Vênere via groups.io <venere=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Dave Schwartz

That's great! You may have found a way to bring all the Instein people back onto the migration path. Not sure if Howard is going to want to put this into his QA suite (that may become your task for now) but it seems they may be able to come in from the cold.

It's me again

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 12:01 AM "Guilherme Vênere via groups.io <http://groups.io> <venere=gmail.com@groups.io <mailto:gmail.com@groups.io>> wrote:

[...]

//
C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.1\cores\esp32\HardwareSerial.ccp
//     Change the lines "#define RX1 9" & "#define TX1 10" by
"#define RX1 21" & "#define TX1 22" respectively.
//     This change is mandatory for this firmware to work and
in this way, OnStep AUX port will work as second serial port
an enable
//     a set of conectivity options: aditional wifi, bluetooth
or USB, RF Link, ethernet or future serial devices.

Is there a way to overwrite these changes from OnStep code
itself to avoid having to mess around with the library files?

Guilherme

"Guilherme Vênere

Hello

Just an update on this, I tested my Instein box this weekend and everything seems to be working fine. Motors are tracking and slewing as expected, SHC was also updated to latest and communicate fine with the box, and i can connect via IP and USB from various sources (iphone with Redshift, Gotomote app, then Stellarium, NINA, PhD2 from PC)

There's only one more issue I'm trying to solve which is the requirement to change the HardwareSerial.cpp from Serial library file to map the RX1 and TX1 to different pins. I'm thinking of overwriting these two defines from pins.InsteinESP1.h like this:

// For Instein we have to remap pins RX1 and TX1 from HardwareSerial.cpp. Need to check if doing it here will work
// since HardwareSerial.cpp checks for them being defined before setting values
#define RX1 21  // for Instein box
#define TX1 22  // for Instein box

But i'm not sure if this will work or if it's an acceptable solution. I will try that later once i'm free. According to Einstein this change is needed to allow the AUX COM port on the box to accept serial TTL devices but i guess it also affects the comm between OnStep and Wifi modules? This is what it says in Instein's custom 3.16 branch

// - ADITIONALLY YOU MUST MADE A CHANGE on your HardwareSerial.ccp file code lines 10 & 14, this file is usually located on:
//     C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.1\cores\esp32\HardwareSerial.ccp
//     Change the lines "#define RX1 9" & "#define TX1 10" by "#define RX1 21" & "#define TX1 22" respectively.
//     This change is mandatory for this firmware to work and in this way, OnStep AUX port will work as second serial port an enable
//     a set of conectivity options: aditional wifi, bluetooth or USB, RF Link, ethernet or future serial devices.

Once i have this figured out i will send a pull request with the changes. If there are other Instein box users who want to test these changes out let me know

Guilherme

On 2020-10-18 4:09 a.m., "Guilherme Vênere wrote:
> [...]
>         mentioned in his custom code:
>
>         // - ADITIONALLY YOU MUST MADE A CHANGE on your
>         HardwareSerial.ccp file code lines 10 & 14, this file is
>         usually located on:
>         //
>         C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.1\cores\esp32\HardwareSerial.ccp
>         //     Change the lines "#define RX1 9" & "#define TX1 10" by
>         "#define RX1 21" & "#define TX1 22" respectively.
>         //     This change is mandatory for this firmware to work and
>         in this way, OnStep AUX port will work as second serial port
>         an enable
>         //     a set of conectivity options: aditional wifi, bluetooth
>         or USB, RF Link, ethernet or future serial devices.
>
>         Is there a way to overwrite these changes from OnStep code
>         itself to avoid having to mess around with the library files?

ybaransky

Hi - I have the gm8 version (controller+mototes+shc). it's been running smoothly and have been a happy camper. I intend to build some Onstep system for my other mounts, but still haven't. I would like to help (and also upgrade to get the spiral search feature), but I have never flashed an OnStep system before, so am a little hesitant that I would make a mistake and "break" my working system. So if you also agree to walk me through this in excruciating detail, I am in. thx
-yurij

"Guilherme Vênere

Hello

I tried finding a way to change HardwareSerial.cpp RX1 and TX1 pins from within OnStep code, which is a requirement for Instein box, but i cannot find a solution for that. I just created a pull request on Master with the other changes required to support Instein (my box is running 4.18b!) but without fixing this issue i'm afraid it will be difficult to have it accepted by Howard.

I tried with the default HardwareSerial.cpp but as I suspected the communication with the hand controller fails.

Khalid, Howard or anyone with more experience in Arduino programming, do you see any solution to that?

For now i left an #error message in Validate.InsteinESP1.h just to make sure any user change the value manually but i hope we can remove that in the future

Guilherme

On 2020-10-18 4:09 a.m., "Guilherme Vênere wrote:
> [...]
>         mentioned in his custom code:
>
>         // - ADITIONALLY YOU MUST MADE A CHANGE on your
>         HardwareSerial.ccp file code lines 10 & 14, this file is
>         usually located on:
>         //
>         C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.1\cores\esp32\HardwareSerial.ccp
>         //     Change the lines "#define RX1 9" & "#define TX1 10" by
>         "#define RX1 21" & "#define TX1 22" respectively.
>         //     This change is mandatory for this firmware to work and
>         in this way, OnStep AUX port will work as second serial port
>         an enable
>         //     a set of conectivity options: aditional wifi, bluetooth
>         or USB, RF Link, ethernet or future serial devices.
>
>         Is there a way to overwrite these changes from OnStep code
>         itself to avoid having to mess around with the library files?

Howard Dutton

I merged that Instein support.

I will change a few things.  First (already in the master) I removed the SERIAL_D_BAUD_DEFAULT line from Config.h, mostly Instein specific so doesn't really belong there, we can add a note in the Wiki instead.

Now if the Instein pinmap is enabled the ESP32 HAL #define's SERIAL_D_BAUD_DEFAULT  and also sets the proper pins so you shouldn't need to go hacking on the HardwareSerial.cpp...

Please test this first (after undoing the changes to HardwareSerial.cpp) then I'll take a look at making the custom ESP8266 flashing code more generic.

"Guilherme Vênere

Hello Howard

thank you! The change to ESP32 HAL worked!

image.png

I think we can remove the #error from Validate.InsteinESP1.h and the comment to change HardwareSerial.cpp from the example config now, i can send the pull request in a bit

Thanks again!

Guilherme