Max series New Designs?

Attila Mikó

Hi Howard Dutton!

I am planning to rebuild an EQ-5 mechanic using OnStep. I decided on MaxSTM3.6, but in connection with the re-design of MaxPCB, would it be important for me to ask whether version 4.0 can also be expected from MaxSTM?

Thank you in advance for your answer

Attila „MokiA” Mikó

Eger, Hungary

Howard Dutton

On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 06:17 AM, Attila Mikó wrote:
would it be important for me to ask whether version 4.0 can also be expected from MaxSTM?
No.

My feeling is the MaxESP4 (unlike the MaxESP3) provides comprehensive functionality in the "Max form" and is easier to flash and work with.

Attila Mikó

When will MaxESP4 be available?

Or where can I find information about it?

On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 06:40 AM, Attila Mikó wrote:
When will MaxESP4 be available?
https://oshwlab.com/hdutton/maxesp4

This is OnStepX only h/w.  Cutting edge too, so not as safe a bet as OnStep/MaxSTM3.6.

Attila Mikó

The motor below that I would like to use is 2 amps.

https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/full-d-cut-shaft-nema-17-bipolar-0-9deg-46ncm-65-1oz-in-2a-2-9v-42x42x48mm-4-wires-17hm19-2004s1

Can such a motor be used with tmc2209 or can maxesp4 accept tmc5160?

On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 07:50 AM, Attila Mikó wrote:

The motor below that I would like to use is 2 amps.

https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/full-d-cut-shaft-nema-17-bipolar-0-9deg-46ncm-65-1oz-in-2a-2-9v-42x42x48mm-4-wires-17hm19-2004s1

Can such a motor be used with tmc2209 or can maxesp4 accept tmc5160?

Normally we don't run motors at 100% power and I'd expect a TMC2209 to do the job.

MaxESP4 is TMC2209 UART mode (or external Step/Dir/En) only.

ESP32 design greatest advantage is in cheap price and greet availability. But that availability is greatly doubted by using 0.9" pin header module (just like in MaxESP3). Most of 38-pin modules available nowdays are 1" wide between pin headers, and 0.9" can only be found on old stock from some suppliers. So I would suggest making more room on PCB for common 1" ESP32 module, perhaps even doubling up one pin header to make it compatible with both 0.9" and 1" ESP32 module.

Peter Boreland

On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 07:57 AM, Howard Dutton wrote:
TMC2209
Howard, why the TMC2209 over the TMC5160?  I'm using nema 23 motors.

I think because of similar performances, but TMC5160 are hard to find and far more expensive. There are very few people using NEMA23 and I don't know how many of them are pushing behind 2.5A.

Howard Dutton

On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 12:02 AM, Vladimir wrote:
ESP32 design greatest advantage is in cheap price and greet availability. But that availability is greatly doubted by using 0.9" pin header module (just like in MaxESP3). Most of 38-pin modules available nowdays are 1" wide between pin headers, and 0.9" can only be found on old stock from some suppliers. So I would suggest making more room on PCB for common 1" ESP32 module, perhaps even doubling up one pin header to make it compatible with both 0.9" and 1" ESP32 module.
The 1" is too wide.
My plan, if things work out, is to do a "minor revision" and build the ESP32 onto the board in SMT.

Howard Dutton

On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 02:00 AM, Peter Boreland wrote:
On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 07:57 AM, Howard Dutton wrote:
TMC2209
Howard, why the TMC2209 over the TMC5160?  I'm using nema 23 motors.
To support 4 sockets with TMC-SPI drivers would require 5 more pins that it does with TMC-UART ones.  Given how pin poor the ESP32 is that's a big deal.

Also, most users run NEMA17 motors and my feeling is the TMC2209 is the best StepStick driver available for most users based on cost, performance, and availability.

And then it's not just the TMC2209 that's supported, the TMC2226 should work also as I read they are basically identical, except it's rated for up to 2.8A peak, 2A RMS.

That leaves a fairly narrow gap for the TMC5160 before one is looking at external drivers, which this supports also.

If that's not good enough spend a bit more and get the MaxPCB4.

George Cushing

I've had no problems getting the 0.9" pitch ESP32s. Just improvise.

image.png

Peter Boreland

Howard, just to be clear, does the MaxPCB4 support the TMC5160 drivers?

Peter Boreland

Howard, also I am only looking at the MaxPCB4.

Howard Dutton

On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 08:56 AM, Peter Boreland wrote:
Howard, just to be clear, does the MaxPCB4 support the TMC5160 drivers?
Yes.

It can fully control TMC-SPI interface StepStick drivers in any socket.
It can fully control traditional StepStick drivers in any socket.
It can fully control TMC-UART interface StepStick drivers in any socket.

You can freely mix TMC-SPI and traditional StepStick drivers in the sockets.
You cannot, however, freely mix TMC-UART and other drivers (depends what driver/where/how and gets a bit complicated.)

Wally

Hi Howard, I really am interested in the ESP32 MAXESP4 variant.
I understand I need to use OnStepX codebase for the new ver 4 board.
How can I get a PCB? Do you have the PCB already available on a PCB manufacturer's site?

I have used sites Like DirtyPCB before for my own designs.

Wally

Here's a video of the ordering process for a MaxESP4.  I ordered with the common/available through hole components hand soldered, you can omit them but by the time you order/pay for shipping separately pretty sure it's best to just let them do it...

https://youtu.be/nPJ0RQVDIQk

Howard Dutton

And here's the link to the project:

https://oshwlab.com/hdutton/maxesp4

Chad Gray

When Howard calls the PCB design official I will be selling them on my website ( i was given permission by Howard).

I have a 14 year old son looking for a "job" so i thought this would be a great opportunity for him to learn about commerce, electronics, processing orders, working with people etc.  Of course I will be overseeing him to make sure everything will be successful.

We will offer a PCB only, with components (so you can solder yourself) and fully assembled (ready to use PCB just need drivers for the PCB).  No official prices have been made as the design is not final.  MaxESP3 is my first target for sale now.  Just need some more parts and copy/photography for the product page.

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 10:14 AM Howard Dutton <hjd1964@...> wrote:
And here's the link to the project:

https://oshwlab.com/hdutton/maxesp4

Wally

Oh fantastic. I will check it out.
I am hoping to get my hands on a MaxPCB4 board. I was about to draft up a PCB myslef, but the new version has just about all the bells and whistles and i figure I can help the project by testing it out.
Wally.