Mks gen l v20

robert utecht

Hi guys just a quick question why does my motor, one of my motors get hot and the other gets warm I'm using 5160 divers at 12 volts, is it normal  I know that the drivers get warm also, what do I need to check.

Bob

Howard Dutton

Typically the Declination motor doesn't move often where the RA one does, TMC drivers have automatic stand-still current reduction.

robert utecht

Ok Howard then normal.?

Bob

On Tue, May 17, 2022, 12:43 PM Howard Dutton <hjd1964@...> wrote:
Typically the Declination motor doesn't move often where the RA one does, TMC drivers have automatic stand-still current reduction.

Mike Ahner

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 11:28 AM, robert utecht wrote:
one of my motors get hot and the other gets warm I'm using 5160 divers at 12 volts, is it normal
Hi Bob,

It's current to the driver that creates heat. What are your current settings for each driver? Perhaps you have it set too high?

robert utecht

Hi Mike everything on the config file is set to off.

Bob

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 05:12 PM, robert utecht wrote:
verything on the config file is set to off
There is the problem, Bob. Current for a TMC5160 must be set through the Config.h file, otherwise it defaults to max current to drive your motors. Because these drivers have the stand-still current reduction, your DEC is not running hot but it's warm and that shouldn't be happening if the motor is stopped. It suggests that even the reduced current is too much.

You'll must set the current in the config.h file with these lines:

/ *** = SSS TMC5160 you must set stepper driver current (in mA) w/ #define AXISn_TMC_IRUN (IHOLD, etc.)
// AXIS1 RA/AZM
// see https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/Configuration-Mount#AXIS1

#define AXIS1_DRIVER_IHOLD            OFF //    OFF, n, (mA.) Current during standstill. OFF uses IRUN/2.0                    Option
#define AXIS1_DRIVER_IRUN             OFF //    OFF, n, (mA.) Current during tracking, appropriate for stepper/driver/etc.    Option
#define AXIS1_DRIVER_IGOTO            OFF //    OFF, n, (mA.) Current during slews. OFF uses same as IRUN.                    Option

The wiki suggests starting at approximately 35%~40% and increase as needed until slews don't stall. Lower is better, suggested not more than 60% or so, however this varies for each setup. Stepper accuracy is better by using less than max current.

TMC5160 drivers are configured only thru SPI so you need to make sure you're MKS board is configure/wired to us SPI control for the steppers. I don't use this board, so I can't tell you how it should be configured, but you should find that in the Wiki or other threads.

Here's the Wiki for setting stepper driver current, the method is valid but your drivers won't have trim pots. Just use the config.h
https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/3862

Good luck,
-Mike

Mike Ahner

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 08:11 PM, Mike Ahner wrote:
TMC5160 drivers are configured only thru SPI so you need to make sure you're MKS board is configure/wired to us SPI control for the steppers. I don't use this board, so I can't tell you how it should be configured, but you should find that in the Wiki or other threads.
Here's the Wiki for discussing the drivers for MKS Gen-L
https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/28534

George Cushing

Yes, it says,
  • Allows driver setup (microstep mode, current, etc.) at runtime for all axes.
I assume this implies setting by the Android app or SHC.

Current is not optional. If not limited by this setting you will be using the driver's max current (3A) which will make short work of your motor's coils unless they are close to 3A max or 1.2A RMS.