MKS S_Gen L V2.0 32bit Board with TMC2209

I have an MKS S_Gen L V2.0 lying around along with TMC2209 stepper drivers.

In the onstep firmware, there is no native support for TMC2209 drivers, neither the S_Gen L V2.0

  • Will it be possible to run Onstep on this board? Can I use TMC2209 stepper drivers or only TMC2130 and TMC5160 are supported?
    (By using MKS GEN_L V1.0 as board name)
  • Can I use TMC2209 with Arduino Mega based Onstep?

Do I need to make major firmware changes for any of these?

Thank You

Absolutely.  That was my first build - MKS v2.0 with TMC2209.  Only issue is that you have to run them in fixed microstep mode by setting the jumpers underneath the drivers.  See my construction guide HERE:

Now, Howard has programmed OnStepX to use TMC2209 in UART mode.  Some have tested it, but you will have to go into the developer's forum...read the first article in the forum ARTICLE.

Of course you use the TMC2130s or TMC5160s in SPI and change the micro-step mode and current via software.

I went through your work and its amazing!

I'd like to seek more guidance from you. By any means can I have your email or any method to contact you?

Also I'd like to mention that I have S_Gen L V2.0 whereas your board is Gen L V2.1.

Thank you, but the amazing work is from Howard, the software wizard who created OnStep, and the many other long-time users who helped with development, testing and other add-ons/improvements.
My point of creating the construction guide was to help me remember what I did, and maybe it could help a beginner with their build.

The pictures in my guide show the MKS 2.1, but I used the 2.0.  They work the same.

You can email / message me by clicking on my name.

By the way, I am not sure if OnStepX will work on the MKS due to the slow processor.  If Howard reads this, he could confirm.

Howard Dutton

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 05:59 AM, Otto wrote:
By the way, I am not sure if OnStepX will work on the MKS due to the slow processor.  If Howard reads this, he could confirm.
Its not the slow processor but rather the lack of RAM resources that made me abandon the Mega2560 in OnStepX.

Thank you for helping out Howard.

I've an MKS S_Gen L V2.0, its a 32 bit board and close to STM32F411CE, but I have yet to try Onstep on it. Should it work?

By any means, can I get previous versions of Onstep to work on Mega?

(All my MaxSTM boards are dead and components are out of stock)

Yes, the MKS will work with 4.24.  I have it running 3.16 and works very well, but have not upgraded to 4.24 as I had no need so far.

I power mine with a 24V power supply.  If you use the TMC2209 drivers, be sure to set the jumpers to your desired microstep value.  You can also set to SPI mode if you use 2130 or 5160 drivers.

Also, be sure to update your config.h file as you will have all new boards / drivers / microstep values.

Otto

Howard Dutton

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 07:00 AM, Fleep wrote:

I've an MKS S_Gen L V2.0, its a 32 bit board and close to STM32F411CE, but I have yet to try Onstep on it. Should it work?

Not supported.

By any means, can I get previous versions of Onstep to work on Mega?

The Mega2560 is supported in versions of OnStep prior to OnStepX.
The MKS Gen-L v1.0 and v2.0 and v2.1 have pinmaps in OnStep.

@Howard @Otto

Should these drivers work? I'm going to order MKS Gen_L V2.1 :(
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKTaTKq

Howard Dutton

Read the Wiki for recommendations.

3D Printer and Engraver

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 09:51 AM, Fleep wrote:
@Howard @Otto

Should these drivers work? I'm going to order MKS Gen_L V2.1 :(
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKTaTKq
This WIKI has the driver details.  I used the Fystec 3.0 drivers successfully.