motorizing my mount.

Mike Ahner

On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 04:13 PM, Dave Schwartz wrote:
The math isn't that complicated and I'm sure that OnStep on a fast processor could run the three motors needed on any telescope where you would even consider OnStep for a controller.
Already does, fast processer seemingly not required. Check under "Rotator and focusers"
main@onstep.groups.io | Wiki

I was curious about the discussion about alt-az camera rotators, so Dr. Google led me to this website:  https://telescopemount.org/alt-az-mounts-for-long-exposure-astrophotography-camera-rotators/
Interestingly, a commercial camera rotator mentioned in the article costs more than my entire GEM-based astrophotography system--and certainly more than most Dobsonian telescopes.  See https://optcorp.com/products/moonlite-nitecrawler-2-axis-worm-drive-rotating-focuser-3-5-in-format
I haven't thought at all what a DIY rotator would cost in complexity, time, ability, or dollars, but I'm happy with to stick with my second-hand Onstep-upgraded GEM.

Khalid Baheyeldin

PHD2 does not do Alt-Az mounts, as far as I know (RA and DEC are all over the place,
and it has different parameters for each axis).

So even though an Alt-Az mount with a derotator can do short exposure (several
seconds), it cannot be guided for long exposure.

Add to that the lack of precision in parts, unlike a high end equatorial with a worm
wheel  and proper bearings.

So again, keep your expectations low, since that is not how the vast majority does
imaging.

Alain K

Hello guys,

You must seethis artiche on guiding Alt-Az with PHD2

Guiding the Panther Alt-Az mount with PHD2 - Telescope Mounts Explained

Khalid Baheyeldin

Alain,

That is a great find.

There was a user on AstroBin that used a 16" Goto Dob to
get great results.

But as I said, it is a lot of short exposures, and probably solves
field rotation in Deep Sky Tracker.

https://www.astrobin.com/users/ellu/

The closer to the celestial pole, the better the results.

Glenn Sammes

I have been using an old Meade DSI imager fitted with a 25mm x 140mm FL (ex finder) scope and PHD2 on a home built Dobby mount.

The configuration settings in this guide got me going properly.

STM32 blue pill / TMC2130 for the OnStep side.

Agreed it is well worth consideration.

Cheers,

Glenn.

You must seethis artiche on guiding Alt-Az with PHD2

Guiding the Panther Alt-Az mount with PHD2 - Telescope Mounts Explained

George Cushing

OK, developers get to work on that mirror warping program😀