Topics

Motors stalling on latest master after a year of no

Jay Murphy

I updated my firmware to get the updated heater controls. Now my motors wind up to an extremely high pitch and do nothing. I set up my config.h (version 4) the same exact way I had my version 3 set up.

Blue pill
S109 drivers

32 steps tracking
4 steps go-to.

It works if I put the go-to steps up to 16 but it's painfully slow and sounds terrible. I used to happily get 6 degrees per second slewing with the older build. Any idea what gives?

Khalid Baheyeldin

I don't know why this would happen just because of a version upgrade.

But you can try to adjust the current up by 100mA or so via the potentiometer.
See if that makes a difference.

Jay Murphy

The current is already plenty high. I found an older version and downgraded to 4.21d and it's working great again.

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 07:53 PM, Jay Murphy wrote:
I found an older version and downgraded to 4.21d and it's working great again.
Good that it works now ...

But it is still really odd.
I can't think of a reason why a non SPI driver would change its behaviour when the
firmware is upgraded.

Howard Dutton

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 04:55 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
I can't think of a reason why a non SPI driver would change its behaviour when the
firmware is upgraded.
There is common code... and the non-SPI case wasn't being handled as it should be by the pre-processor #ifdef's.

Should be working now.

Kedar

I am also using latest git master and seeing the inability of the motor to track but slewing works.
How do I downgrade to 4.21d? Or any specific release? I looked thru git log, and also grepped thru the source for 4.21 versions, but I only find matches in the object catalogue database.

Thanks/Kedar

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 09:14 PM, Kedar wrote:
How do I downgrade to 4.21d? Or any specific release?
Don't downgrade. There was a bug and Howard fixed it.
Download master again, and flash your controller, then try things out.

Jay Murphy

Thanks Howard, I'll get the latest master and see how it does.

Jay Murphy

Patch worked. Thanks again.