My DIY rig seems to work... Sort of #EQ3

UndCon

Hello!

I have com a step closer to complete my DIY rig.

An old eq3 mount (or eq3-2)
An old Skywatcher Star traveler 102
A Raspberry pi HQ camera on a Chinese guide scope
An old Canon eos 40 d camera
A raspberry pi 4 running Astroberry.
A Teensy4 powered Onstep controller with shc

So what do we get?
A rig that starts doing platesolving in Ekos...even in the situation like this picture.

All connected with VNC from a laptop.

UndCon

Oh yeah, might have forgot something.

3d printed stepper motor mounts
3d printed pulleys
3d printed case for Onstep
3d printed case for Rpi Hq camera
3d printed case for raspberry pi4
3d printed lens protectors
3d printed bahtinov masks for all optics
3d printed adapter Cs->Eos (eos as guidescope)

David Summa <dave@...>

Hello,

Has anyone connected their OnStep successfully to ASI’s Air or Air Pro?  I’ve seen only a couple on the ZWO user site and thought of going this route.  I am looking to find setting that work.  I have not yet been successful even though ZWO added 2 OnStep configurations: OnStep Electronics and OnStep beta.

Regards,

Dave

I have com a step closer to complete my DIY rig.

An old eq3 mount (or eq3-2)
An old Skywatcher Star traveler 102
A Raspberry pi HQ camera on a Chinese guide scope
An old Canon eos 40 d camera
A raspberry pi 4 running Astroberry.
A Teensy4 powered Onstep controller with shc

So what do we get?
A rig that starts doing platesolving in Ekos...even in the situation like this picture.

All connected with VNC from a laptop.

Henk Aling

Just curious, what is the "sort of" part?

I've been thinking about OnStepping my Exos nano mount which also an EQ3 type.  This would lead to a proof of concept but probably a crappy system that I would never use.  It would be fun to get it working though and maybe fun to demo.  Also curious to see how you attached the motors, that's not trivial for my nano.

Congrats with your successful build though!

George Cushing

The D1 R32/Hujer Shield has been used on a few CG-4/EQ-3 and 3-1s. A CG-4 user sent me one of his first photos:

I've have some old Palomar images for Jupiter that don't measure up to this.