My Skywatcher 150p on an EQ3-2 mount and OnStep STM32 Bluepill #EQ3

Frank

Hello,

i want to say thank you for this great community, software and support. I learned much due this project and teaches me to go "OnStep" by step ;-) There is still some fine-tuning to do, but the weather is currently very cloudy.

I converted a Skywatcher EQ3-2 Mount and created some own and some modified 3D Printer files to fit my requirements.

My Setup:
Skywatcher 150p telescope
Skywatcher EQ3-2 mount (aluminium tripod with some modifications to improve stability and prevent shaking)

2x Nema 17 / 200Steps
R.A. is using 20:60 Pulleys (160mm belt)
DEC is using 20:40 Pulleys (146mm belt)
TMC2130 with microstepping: 64 (GOTO 16)
STM32 on STM32 BluePill PCB (Wifi and Bluetooth) (soldered on a minimal setup)
Case bought on amazon: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B005DRPCBW
Old Nexus 5x as Hand Controller for initial setup after alignment. (Bluetooth)
12v battery pack 4.500mAh (place on the tripod middle shelf, to improve stability)
My iPhone for Skysafari

Printed parts:
RA and DEC motor mount
Brachet which is attached to the OnStep case (to attach the case with velcro)
Phone mount (with plotted "OnStep" Sticker)
Polar Alignment scope illuminator (from thingiverse)

My created/modified files attached.
Link to polar finder illuminator:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4419314

Thank you for all the support and the love which you are giving to this project. You rock!

Have a nice day and clear skies!

Frank

Dave Schwartz

A very nice job... congratulations!

Hello,

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4419314 <https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4419314>

Thank you for all the support and the love which you are giving to this project. You rock!

Have a nice day and clear skies!

Frank

Mike Ahner

Well done, Frank! Very nice, indeed!

Khalid Baheyeldin

Frank,

Thanks for sharing. It is now in the showcase page.

One question, how did you connect the Bluetooth and WiFi at the same time?
Which pins, ...etc.?

Frank

On Sat, Jun 5, 2021 at 08:52 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
Frank,

Thanks for sharing. It is now in the showcase page.

One question, how did you connect the Bluetooth and WiFi at the same time?
Which pins, ...etc.?
Hello Khalid,

thank you! I extended the RX and TX pins on the CP2012 module. There i connected a HC-06 bluetooth module for TX and RX. The GND is directly from the STM32 and J3 on the BluePill board gives me 5v to power up. The CP2012 still works and with programming/flash mode on the STM32, too.  No Code Change was needed. Maybe i will need to change the code to change the HC-06 name, but this is cosmetic for me and is only interesting if you connect the first time.

Thank you :-)

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 11:00 AM, Frank wrote:
I extended the RX and TX pins on the CP2012 module. There i connected a HC-06 bluetooth module for TX and RX. The GND is directly from the STM32 and J3 on the BluePill board gives me 5v to power up. The CP2012 still works and with programming/flash mode on the STM32, too.  No Code Change was needed. Maybe i will need to change the code to change the HC-06 name, but this is cosmetic for me and is only interesting if you connect the first time.
That works ...

There is a limitation of course, is that the microUSB port on the CP2102 module cannot be connected to USB (PC, Raspberry Pi, ...etc) as long as Bluetooth is connected too.

Frank

On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 05:54 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:That works ...There is a limitation of course, is that the microUSB port on the CP2102 module cannot be connected to USB (PC, Raspberry Pi, ...etc) as long as Bluetooth is connected too
Yes, but i am ok with that :-) i only need usb for flashing the stm32.

Francois94

Hello Franck , nice job !!
Would you mind posting a link for the 40/60T pulley ? I've already made some tests with 3D printed pulley , it works , but not that strong enough for "outside" use :-)
As clearance is a problem on this EQ3-2 mount , pulley size is quite important .
Regards.