Topics

NEW 32bit CONTROLLER BOARD FROM MAKERBASE. MKS SGEN L v1.0

Michael E. Burk

Yo Attention.

This is a brand new MKS SGEN L board, And comes in two flavors.
1st a 32bit MKS GEN L but upraded to a 32bit armcortex 1768 chip at 100mgh. Runs Marlin v2 or Smoothieware. I have not been able to find the pinout for this yet but I am looking. I just ordered it from amazon and will have it July 31.

2nd a 32bit MKS GEN L but upgraded to 32bit armcortes 1769 chip at 120mgh. Runs Smoothiewars. Makerbase is trying to cover all the angles.

Look to Aliexpress for more information.

Probably a 3.3volt Logic on both. I want a pinout!!!

Michael E. Burk

Imagine

Onstep, RA/DEC, 2 Focusers, 1 Rotator. 3 Dew Heaters, BME280. Noe where to put the WiFi?

Terry Fishlock

Links?  Wifi should be fine.

a.demenko2@...

Will this have a better Max Rate?

Michael E. Burk

Terry Fishlock

Thanks for the links, will these run arduino code though or does it need some sort of emulator.

Michael E. Burk

It is an armcortex chip. I think Howard, Khalid and Dave are going to have to get used to atomio and platformio. They do work fine I've used them to program SKR v1.1 and v1.3.

I think I like the operating environment better with them.

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 8:35 AM Terry Fishlock <telfish@...> wrote:
Thanks for the links, will these run arduino code though or does it need some sort of emulator.

Terry Fishlock

So no Arduino support, Onstep would then need to be completely rewritten?

Michael E. Burk

I don’t think OnStep will need to be rewritten

Marlin and Smoothieware were not rewritten

Atomio and platformio are just 32bit editors arguing has not kept up.

Michael E. Burk

Arduino and Atomio are texteditors. Kind of like notepad++ on steroids.

Khalid Baheyeldin

We discussed the LPC1768 boards, and others a while back, in this thread.

Bottom line: a lot of effort, for not much reward than what we already have.

Terry Fishlock

So what would need to be done to get this 32 bit option working, I see it has a Ethernet port and a sd card port which is interesting.

Michael E. Burk

Not much benefit?

Room for

3 dew heaters

RA/DEC

2 focusers

Rotater

Reachable SPI Buss

This would be a great addition for OnStep

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 12:26 PM, Michael E. Burk wrote:
Not much benefit?
Room for
3 dew heaters
RA/DEC
2 focusers
Rotater
Reachable SPI Buss
This would be a great addition for OnStep
Most of that exists on the MKS Gen-L and RAMPS (with a $3 RTC).

I looked into the STM32F4 boards (LERDGE X and S), and they have most of what we
need, but there is no support for I2C for that MCU.

There was also the MKS Robin, but it requires a proprietary bootloader, something that
obfuscates the binary. Pain in the behind.

If the SGEN was the same architecture as something we already have, then it would be
less effort. But a whole new architecture is way too much effort. It took months to do the
STM32, and then more months to iron out the bugs.

See the other thread I linked to.

Michael E. Burk

What would it take to port the hardware abstraction later that you wrote for the STM32 over to the LPC1768

Then we could have everything in OnStep on one controller

You are already ahead as you know what you have to have

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 12:47 PM, Michael E. Burk wrote:
What would it take to port the hardware abstraction later that you wrote for the STM32 over to the LPC1768
The main issue is that does not use the Arduino IDE, and requires a different tool chain and IDE.
And that means that we do not have all the libraries that work at present for the various things we need.

Starting from talking to the EEPROM, math, serial communication, I2C, SPI, RTC/Time, hardware timers, and
so on, so forth ... Every single include in the codebase and every library loaded in the IDE makes certain
assumptions that we have certain things.

With a new development platform, things will be different, and maybe non-existent (no support for this
chip or the other interface).

Until someone sits down and tries things out, we can't know if it is a months job, six months job, or just
plain impossible because we are missing X or Y.

Michael E. Burk

Okay i'm in

Khalid check this one out. SKR PRO v1.1 STM32F407ZGT6 32bit Armcortex 4 CPU?

https://www.biqu.equipment/collections/control-board-kits/products/bigtreetech-skr-pro-v1-1-32-bit-control-board

Corey Mooney

There is also the SKR mini with has STM32 and integrated TMC2209 drivers in a small package.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 07:06 AM, Corey Mooney wrote:
There is also the SKR mini with has STM32 and integrated TMC2209 drivers in a small package.

Nice find... and there's this one too:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33060590430.html?scm=1007.22893.125779.0&pvid=faa048d1-5be4-4910-a4cd-563b4d6357fd&onelink_thrd=0.0&onelink_page_from=ITEM_DETAIL&onelink_item_to=33060590430&onelink_duration=3.93019&onelink_status=noneresult&onelink_item_from=33060590430&onelink_page_to=ITEM_DETAIL&aff_platform=aaf&cpt=1564410627090&sk=AYNZbMb&aff_trace_key=a4055187040c4721b636d0408f2b84a4-1564410627090-07357-AYNZbMb&terminal_id=ee4d83658f2b449fbe778c4e80bb435d

These have the STM32F103RCT6 chip which is a close relative to the Bluepill STM32F103CB that we support.

The RC has 256KB flash and 64KB RAM vs. the CB 128KB flash and 16KB RAM, and the RC has more pins so this is a nicer device.  And OnStep compiles cleanly for the STM32F103RC so if the pinmap existed (not that big of a deal to create) and we were able to upload the firmware it could potentially work.

Corey Mooney

There is some hardware info on BigTree's Github.

I think this has some of the pinout, but at fist glance i'm not seeing the uC  to  stepper driver UART stuff.