Topics

New CNCv3 having problems getting steppers to work #EQ5 #wemos

Mike

Hi all
I'm following the CNC V3 and Wemos R32 ESP8266 route as I have a history od using the ESP8266. I'm using this to automate a a skytee alt az mount.
to this end I have:
assembled the CNC v3 board
removed the enable resistor for 5v protection on a 3.3v pin
Wire wrapped the SPI connections from the TMC2130 drivers I am using to the board connections identified in the wiki (noting I had to remove the socket for pin IO0 since it was unused by the CNCv3 daughter board but socketed on the Wemos; located just above reset on the board)
Tested the SPI connections end to end for connectivity.
Powered the Wemos from the daughter board.
Enabled bluetooth and have a working connection and apparent controls and response through my Android phone interface ( noting that the mount type buttons seem to be disabled ) .
Used the configurator spreadsheet to specify the step rates and just enabled axis 1 and axis 2

The steppers I connected are from an EQ5 mount since it is very similar to the skytee/Omegon alt-az and have an internal 1:131.876 gearbox and phase resistances in bipolar connection mode of 15 and 24 Ohms respectively. I configured the goto current to 900mA@12v based on this. The boards don;t run hot at the moment but did when I tried them with other steppers I have.

I have no problems connecting over a usb cable to the wemos board and running arduino to upload.

Where I do have problems is getting any reasonable output out of the steppers . They sit and whine a lot and change tone on command over the bluetooth link but don't rotate.
I havent set the potentiometer on the TMC 2130 (could do with a guide to doing this) and the TMC version is FYSETC1.0. Is there a problem that they aren't version 1.1 or later  ?
I've also checked that the phase wires are arranged in pairs 1a/b and 2a/b.
I've backed off the configurator settings to reduce the number of microsteps to 2 to try to reduce the drive frequency to something below 1Khz to see if they are just being driven too fast but I cant set the configurator to microsteps:off due to a compiler error alert against doing so.

Where do I go next to debug this ?

Many thanks
Mike

Dave Schwartz

The TMC2130 V1.0 is your problem, if true. The V1.0 is the 'DIY' version that does not come with SPI enabled. I don't see specifically that you did this but there is minor surgery required on them in order to enable SPI and you can find the procedure easily on the web.

On 2021-04-05 5:01 a.m., Mike wrote:
Hi all
[...]

Thanks Dave. I''ve found some links on the web - they are getting harder to find I think and will give that a go .
I had not configured the TMC2130 chips to enable the SPI . That was news to me.
regards
Mike

Dave Schwartz

I hope that solves your problem. If you haven't already done so, don't forget to set the Vref either with the pot or by setting the motor current parameters with the pot on max for the appropriate axes before you connect the motors again. Usually the drivers are set with Vref = max from the vendor and if you power up like that with the motors connected you will often get a lot of heat and your drivers may go into thermal shutdown (or sometimes the fuse will pop... been there, done that).

On 2021-04-06 4:54 a.m., Mike wrote:
Thanks Dave. I''ve found some links on the web - they are getting harder to find I think and will give that a go .
I had not configured the TMC2130 chips to enable the SPI . That was news to me.
regards
Mike

Mike

Thanks Dave
1, I found the websites and added the CFG4 and 5 bridges and removed the SPI wire short to enable SPI
2, Identified the Vref pin and set the pot to 2.5V
3, reconfigured the steppers to the recommended settings on the configurator spreadsheet.

so I now have a working OnStep CNCv3 with TMC2130 v1.0 steppers.
I upped the voltage to 24V in order to get the best slew rates. I top out at 4.5 deg/sec using 200step/rev Nema 17 steppers and still only consume 250mA but using Synta EQ5 motors with their built-in 131:1 gearboxes, the slew rate is only 0.3 deg/sec and consumes 1A at 24V.

However I am finding the android app a touch flaky with the alt-az configured mount. I'll raise a separate message about that.
many thanks
Mike

Pedro Miguel Barbosa Moutinho Nunes dos Reis

On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 12:01 PM, Mike wrote:
Wire wrapped the SPI connections from the TMC2130 drivers I am using to the board connections identified in the wiki (noting I had to remove the socket for pin IO0 since it was unused by the CNCv3 daughter board but socketed on the Wemos; located just above reset on the board)
Hi Mike, could you post some pics of this? I need to go this route shortly it would be nice to have some visual aid :)

Mike

Sure , I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it here.