Topics

New (old) Teensy SHC with 2.42 display

tnut55

Nothing fancy, just the basic Teensy SHC with 2.42 display.

I used Howard's .stl case modified with a bump out and bezel to accomodate the larger display.

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 12:37 PM, tnut55 wrote:
Nothing fancy, just the basic Teensy SHC with 2.42 display.

I used Howard's .stl case modified with a bump out and bezel to accomodate the larger display.
Looks great!
I find that the 0.96" screen pretty much unusable.
The 1.3" which I have is usable, but larger is better.

Is the center button a 5 way switch? If it is not, then consider one. Once you use it, you never
want to use regular buttons ever again.

T.K

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 09:07 PM, tnut55 wrote:

Nothing fancy, just the basic Teensy SHC with 2.42 display.

I used Howard's .stl case modified with a bump out and bezel to accomodate the larger display.

Nice job. Bigger screen would be great.
But I would like to see more ergonomic designs.
I don't know why nobody has designed a new case.

tnut55

I just wanted a larger display and this was the path of least resistance as well as cheapest.

I already had surplus SHC PCB boards and most of the components on hand for the basic Teensy SHC, so a no brainer for me.

I like where Jerry is going with his project and Charles' new SHC looks nice too.

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 12:43 PM, T.K
<regulus.mj94@...> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 09:07 PM, tnut55 wrote:

Nothing fancy, just the basic Teensy SHC with 2.42 display.

I used Howard's .stl case modified with a bump out and bezel to accomodate the larger display.

Nice job. Bigger screen would be great.
But I would like to see more ergonomic designs.
I don't know why nobody has designed a new case.

tnut55

No, just standard SHC using mostly leftover parts from my first SHC build.  I always buy more than I need for these projects.

I'll wait for some of the other designs come to fruition before I build another.

<regulus.mj94@...> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 09:07 PM, tnut55 wrote:

Nothing fancy, just the basic Teensy SHC with 2.42 display.

I used Howard's .stl case modified with a bump out and bezel to accomodate the larger display.

Nice job. Bigger screen would be great.
But I would like to see more ergonomic designs.
I don't know why nobody has designed a new case.

Khalid Baheyeldin

Did you have to do any modifications to the display to get it to work?
Did you run wires from its pins to the PCB, or was it plug and play?

tnut55

You have to set the display to run I2C.  It comes ready for SPI.  There is a lot of confusion on what to do, i.e. add/move resistors.  The DIYMore website is more informative.  I found it to be very forgiving in that regard.  You probably just need to shunt the R3, R5 resistor pads.  But I shunted R5 and moved the resistor from R4 to R3 per the website.  There is another set of pads for R7 (CS) that I left open.  For I2C I don't think it cares.

There is a RES pin that must be connected to pin 23, ESP32 or pin 14, Teensy.  I had an older PCB so I had to connect directly to the Teensy pin.  The newer version Teensy boards provide this extra pin as well as connections for a utility led.

I used Onstep 3.17 I think.  It includes support for the SSD1309.

I tore my hair out until I finally figured out that my cheap laptop style 24vdc power adapter had significant voltage ripple on its ground.  I discovered this quite by accident when I could run the display off usb power but not adapter power.  When I switched to a meanwell 24ps I had, it ran ok.  Also, if I just touched the shield from a usb cable connected to my pc to the teensy shield and powered my STM32 BP using the power adapter the display would initiate.  But if I broke this ground connection, the display would start to corrupt.

I later put a scope probe on the usb shield of a cable connected to my pc and the probe tip to my power adapter ground.  The ripple was in the tens of volts.  I was very surprised.  How this interferes with the reset, I don't know.

Oddly enough, my regular SHC with a 1.3 display (no reset) tolerated this just fine.  Therefore I had no reason to suspect this power adapter.  So now I have another project, enclosing the meanwell power module.

I had some other connection problems of my own doing which complicated the troubleshooting and throuhout this ordeal, I managed to wire my first display with reverse polarity.  It still works but doesn't get very bright.

But in the end, that large display is very nice.

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 1:47 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin
<kbahey@...> wrote:
Did you have to do any modifications to the display to get it to work?
Did you run wires from its pins to the PCB, or was it plug and play?

Butchf

Do you have a diagram/pic of the wiring between the old shc board and the new display?

Butchf

Do you know if this will work with the esp32 shc ?

tnut55

Thomas Westerhoff used the SSD1309 in his ESP32 SHC.  Search SSD1309 and you find his thread.

On Wednesday, February 12, 2020, 10:51:41 AM CST, Butchf <butchf@...> wrote:

Do you know if this will work with the esp32 shc ?

tnut55

If you convert the SSD1309 to I2C operation, you only need to connect VCC, GND, SDA and SCL from the SHC pcb to the Display pcb as you would the other 2 display types the SHC supports.

Then you have to connect the RES pin to pin 14.  For the ESP32, this is pin 23.

I don't have the ESP32 version so I don't know what the pcb looks like but for the Teensy version, the latest board V1.12 has the extra pin available in the output as well as circuit provision for the LED Utility LED.

My board is the older V1.10 so I had to connect directly to the Teensy pin 14.

This is not Plug-N-Play in the sense that you connect the display directly to the SHC pcb since the orientation of the pins between the Teensy SHC and the display do not match.  You have to either run wires or provide a jumper cable.

I had to make a new case (modified Howard's design a bit) and raise the area for the new display to fit and accomodate the jumper wires.

You also need a version of Onstep that supports the SSD1309.  My version is 3.17.

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 09:56 AM, tnut55 wrote:
This is not Plug-N-Play in the sense that you connect the display directly to the SHC pcb since the orientation of the pins between the Teensy SHC and the display do not match.  You have to either run wires or provide a jumper cable.
If designing a low cost PCB w/EasyEDA the PCB would need to be rectangular (at the display width minimum) and so the case width for it wouldn't comfortably sit in my hand anyway.

You did exactly what I was planning to do but haven't gotten around to...  keep the existing PCB and modify the case.

Howard Dutton

Did you use a Teensy3.2?  Not sure if the 4.0 works but I'm sure to find out with the next SHC I build.

tnut55

Yes, I used the plain old Teensy 3.2.

One curious thing is that the environmental info displays (incorrectly since I don't have a BME).

I thought I had turned it off in the config.  But I spent so much time trying to find the issue with the power supply, I am taking a break from it.  I'll go back sometime later and see what I missed.

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 12:07 PM, Howard Dutton
<hjd1964@...> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 09:56 AM, tnut55 wrote:
This is not Plug-N-Play in the sense that you connect the display directly to the SHC pcb since the orientation of the pins between the Teensy SHC and the display do not match.  You have to either run wires or provide a jumper cable.
If designing a low cost PCB w/EasyEDA the PCB would need to be rectangular (at the display width minimum) and so the case width for it wouldn't comfortably sit in my hand anyway.

You did exactly what I was planning to do but haven't gotten around to.

Butchf

Very cool,
I have a case model already (the pendant case) from the other thread that was going to use the 2.42 display.  and I already have a SHC (ESP32 model)  I can make a cable to connect the display to the board and modify and print a pendant case so my current SHC board will fit it..  this sounds very doable.  great Idea :)

Don

tnut55

Yes, not hard to do.

But for me, it didn't go so easily.  My power adapter runs 3 Onstep controllers (Max, Mini, STM32) just fine including a basic SHC with 1.3" display that I use on all 3.  But it will not run the SHC with the large display and reset.  I was Einstein insane for several days...doing the same thing over and over expecting different results, primarily because I had no reason to suspect the power adapter.  A better power supply solved the problem.

On Wednesday, February 12, 2020, 3:56:28 PM CST, Butchf <butchf@...> wrote:

Very cool,
I have a case model already (the pendant case) from the other thread that was going to use the 2.42 display.  and I already have a SHC (ESP32 model)  I can make a cable to connect the display to the board and modify and print a pendant case so my current SHC board will fit it..  this sounds very doable.  great Idea :)

Don

Butchf

I read your report of that.  I wouldn't have expected that at all.  but I run my scope on a 12v Li battery with a 12 to 24 volt converter, so I'm hoping it will be smoother for me.

Don

George Cushing

The difference between radical and conservative change is that conservatives believe in one small step at a time avoids two steps back. I think Nothing Fancy is good solid step=8)

Aisling Lightworks

Looks great!

Ant No

Looks robust and very usable. Well done.

Ant👣

On 16 Feb 2020 21:50, "Aisling Lightworks" <stercust@...> wrote:
Looks great!