Topics

New SHC Board design

Jerry

I sent out to have some new boards for the Smart Hand Controller made. This design is intended to fit into the Hammond 1553TBK "T" pendant box and use the 2.42" version of the OLED display. It used through hole versions of the tactile switches since these are easier to align for the buttons.

Ill have red acrylic laser cut for the display window and cnc machine the case.

-Jerry

Looks interesting.  But the case will cost more than the components inside:
https://www.eciaauthorized.com/en/part/hammond/1553TBK

tnut55

Yes but it makes for a really nice build.  I like it.

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 8:32 AM, Richard Shagam
<rnshagam@...> wrote:
Looks interesting.  But the case will cost more than the components inside:
https://www.eciaauthorized.com/en/part/hammond/1553TBK

tnut55

I suspect you will have a minimum order on the boards and thus spares.  I would be interested in buying one from you.

Mark

Jerry

18 bucks? Worth it if I dont have to look at a screen the size of a postage stamp. The Teensy alone is more than that and the display is about $25.

I have 5 board on order, if they work the extras I dont need will be available. I also have MaxPCB2 and the standard SHC boards available and I also ordered new step/dir line driver boards with the MacroSHC board.

I have some red plastic ordered and will probably just cut them out on the mill. I can also machine the cases out if people need that.

-Jerry

tnut55

If your SHC works out OK and you end up with spares you'll part with, keep me in mind.  I might be interested in a MaxPCB 2 if it is current rev.

 I have a couple of MaxPCB v1.135 spares as well as 1 version before latest of SHC and STM32 boards.  The pace of innovation here is that the new versions appear a day after I place the order for the old version...lol.

Mark

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 10:36 AM, Jerry
<jerry.biehler@...> wrote:
18 bucks? Worth it if I dont have to look at a screen the size of a postage stamp. The Teensy alone is more than that and the display is about $25.

I have 5 board on order, if they work the extras I dont need will be available. I also have MaxPCB2 and the standard SHC boards available and I also ordered new step/dir line driver boards with the MacroSHC board.

I have some red plastic ordered and will probably just cut them out on the mill. I can also machine the cases out if people need that.

-Jerry

Jerry

Yeah. The maxpcb2s are latest. I kinda want to re-lay it out. But they work as they are.

The boards should show up next week and I’ll pop one together. I’m trying to figure out what I am going to do for button caps now.

-Jerry

<jerry.biehler@...> wrote:
18 bucks? Worth it if I dont have to look at a screen the size of a postage stamp. The Teensy alone is more than that and the display is about $25.

I have 5 board on order, if they work the extras I dont need will be available. I also have MaxPCB2 and the standard SHC boards available and I also ordered new step/dir line driver boards with the MacroSHC board.

I have some red plastic ordered and will probably just cut them out on the mill. I can also machine the cases out if people need that.

-Jerry

simpsonj@...

Please add me to the list of buyers once you've got it sorted!

Thanks in advance.

Jim Simpson

Jerry

I had better warn you guys, I use surface mount components. If you cant solder them I can put them in place for you.

-Jerry

John Scherer

I'd be happy to pay for one of these bigger SHC boards as well Jerry.  Put me on the list.  I sent you an email.

Butchf

I'd like to try the larger hand control also, add me to the list.

Jerry

Ok. Looks like I will need to order more boards if this works.

-Jerry

On Jan 30, 2020, at 8:03 PM, Butchf <butchf@...> wrote:

I'd like to try the larger hand control also, add me to the list.

Joe

Yep! Another buyer here

On Thursday, January 30, 2020, 11:08 PM, Jerry <jerry.biehler@...> wrote:

Ok. Looks like I will need to order more boards if this works.

-Jerry

On Jan 30, 2020, at 8:03 PM, Butchf <butchf@...> wrote:

I'd like to try the larger hand control also, add me to the list.

fetoma

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 03:15 PM, Jerry wrote:
I had better warn you guys, I use surface mount components. If you cant solder them I can put them in place for you.
I'll take one too Jerry if you are going to mount the components. What's your price for a fully assembled board?

Howard Dutton

Keep in mind...

The Teensy3.2 has limitations WRT catalog sizes running the SHC.  The SHC code compiles for the Teensy 4.0, which has enough flash for the full catalogs and room to grow also.  That's not saying the SHC will work on an T4.0 but it's a good idea to test it out.

Jerry

I have a 4.0 lying around. I can give it a try.

-Jerry

On Jan 31, 2020, at 11:18 AM, Howard Dutton <hjd1964@...> wrote:

Keep in mind...

The Teensy3.2 has limitations WRT catalog sizes running the SHC.  The SHC code compiles for the Teensy 4.0, which has enough flash for the full catalogs and room to grow also.  That's not saying the SHC will work on an T4.0 but it's a good idea to test it out.

Howard Dutton

That would be a good idea, shame to build such an amazingly nice controller and have it limited by the T3.2

Howard Dutton

I updated the master branch's SHC so it automatically brings in the large catalog set (as used w/ the ESP32) when the compile targets the T4.0

John Scherer

Edited

Jerry, can you post a link to the oled your using?  I see these but they seem more expensive than the ones you use:

Jerry

Edited

I looked at my schematic and it should be happy with T4.0. I did goof on the pullups for the ST4 input but I am not populating that anyway since it is not supported so it can wait till I spin a new board. Or just use internal pull-ups in the teensy. Buuut... The teensy is not 5v compatible on pins and I am guessing that a lot of stuff that has ST4 output is at 5v signal level so I would have to put level shifting in there anyway to be safe.

The listing where I bought the display has dissappeared off ebay. This is the same: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-42-inch-SSD1309-128x64-OLED-Display-SPI-IIC-Serial-Port-Blue-For-Arduino-C51/163680798772

Note, the display come configured for SPI, you need to move around jumpers on the back to change it to I2C mode.