Topics

New Teensy 4.1

Jerry

Paul released a new Teensy, the Teensy 4.1, same processor as the 4.0 but in a Teensy 3.5/.6 form-factor and pinout. Adds stuff like ethernet, dedicated USB host, space for more memory. Cheaper too

https://hackaday.com/2020/05/11/new-teensy-4-1-arrives-with-100-mbps-ethernet-high-speed-usb-8-mb-flash/

Wonder how fast this guy would be?

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 10:18 AM, Jerry wrote:
Paul released a new Teensy, the Teensy 4.1, same processor as the 4.0 but in a Teensy 3.5/.6 form-factor and pinout. Adds stuff like ethernet, dedicated USB host, space for more memory. Cheaper too

https://hackaday.com/2020/05/11/new-teensy-4-1-arrives-with-100-mbps-ethernet-high-speed-usb-8-mb-flash/

Wonder how fast this guy would be
I've done some testing on the T4.0/MiniPCB2 and I'm not sure how fast it is but I was up to the point where it was at the edge of OnStep's timer design limitations.
In the HAL I limit the the Teensy4.0 to >= 1.5us step rates.

That's the good news, the bad news is that I compiled OnStep and uploaded to the T4.0 I have yesterday and it wouldn't boot.

Yet another thing to take a look at.  This is the problem with lots of supported h/w, lots of potential for things to go wrong and lots of my time to maintain/fix.

Howard Dutton

It's also not drop-in for the MaxPCB.  I see at least one critical issue to do with the location of the I2C ports.

Jerry

I went ahead and ordered one so I can be a test victim if you want.

-Jerry

Howard Dutton

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 01:18 PM, Jerry wrote:
I went ahead and ordered one so I can be a test victim if you want.
Too big of a hammer for this nail and it isn't drop in for existing designs.  I just can't get excited about it.

Jerry

That’s fine. I have other uses for it.

-Jerry

On May 11, 2020, at 1:37 PM, Howard Dutton <hjd1964@...> wrote:

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 01:18 PM, Jerry wrote:
I went ahead and ordered one so I can be a test victim if you want.
Too big of a hammer for this nail and it isn't drop in for existing designs.  I just can't get excited about it.

Curly

I’m just about to build a miniPCB2 and 4.0, am I to take it from this that the Teensy 4 will not work?
Thanks
Curly

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 12:19 AM, Curly wrote:
I’m just about to build a miniPCB2 and 4.0, am I to take it from this that the Teensy 4 will not work?
It did work so I'm sure some version of OnStep and the Arduino IDE + Teensyduino is functional (I never did extensive testing but others use it.)

Right now release-3.16 and the master branch and the current versions of the Arduino IDE/teensyduino don't work for me.

As for the Teensy4.0 it's still fine.  Bunch of worrying about nothing...  the NV memory got corrupted, probably was when using it in an SHC for a bit, and that was causing OnStep initialization to fail.  Wiped NV and it came right up.

BTW when looking back at my notes I did test at 1us (1MHz) step rates and it seemed to be ok.

Curly

Thanks Howard that’s good to know that it’s operating on the latest build.

Curly

On Tue, 12 May 2020 at 14:07, Howard Dutton <hjd1964@...> wrote:
As for the Teensy4.0 it's still fine.  Bunch of worrying about nothing...  the NV memory got corrupted, probably I was when using it in an SHC for a bit, and that was causing OnStep initialization to fail.  Wiped NV and it came right up.

BTW when looking back at my notes I did test at 1us (1MHz) step rates and it seemed to be ok.

Kelvin

I'd also like to try the Teeny4 with my miniPCB2. What are the recommended setting for CPU speed and optimization ?

-Kelvin.

Howard Dutton

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 06:46 AM, <kelvin.cloete@...> wrote:
I'd also like to try the Teeny4 with my miniPCB2. What are the recommended setting for CPU speed and optimization ?
I just use the defaults.

bjaffa Jaffa

Howard,

I had a Teensy 4.0 working and functioning with the W5500 Ethernet AddOn with the encoder pointing model working .
Unfortunately, I lost my arduino environment and had to reload both the arduino (1.85) & the teensyduino(unknown).
My reloaded arduino firmware is now 1.8.13 and the Teensyduino firmware is 1.53. OnStep 3.16o is functional
I upgraded my EthernetAddOn (1.12e)  but I cannot get it to work. Even the old EthernetAddOn  firmware does not work.
Having reviewed your Posts #20562 & #20566  it seems you were able to get Teensy 4.0 in a different application to work by clearing the NV.
I believe my issue relies with corrupted flash or incompatible arduino/teensyduino environment.
In the tools manager I do not see how to wipe the NV. Also can you tell me the arduino version and the teensyduino versions you were able to get the Teensy 4.0 to work?
Thanks Brent

Howard Dutton

I really have never used the T4.0 with the Ethernet Add-on so I can't comment other than to say that clearing NV is more of an OnStep thing.

It's beyond difficult to imagine the few settings stored in NV for the Ethernet addon causing trouble.  In-fact if you don't enable the Encoder support there are NO settings stored in NV, not one.

bjaffa Jaffa

When you got T4.0 to work with miniPCB2 do you remember the Arduino version and the Teensyduino version you used.
I have tried both with and without encoders enabled. The WifiBluetooth module functions properly.
I have run separate speed tests on the T4.0 so I know it is functioning & I can correctly ping the W5500.
If you can tell me what your Arduino and Teensyduino version you used for the miniPCB2 for T4.0 on your miniPCB it would be very helpful.

Thanks Brent

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 01:07 PM, bjaffa Jaffa wrote:
When you got T4.0 to work with miniPCB2 do you remember the Arduino version and the Teensyduino version you used.
Not really.  And it wasn't a one time thing its been flashed several times over the past months.  The most recent was not that long ago, perhaps 1 month back.

I have Arduino 1.8.13 and Teensyduino 1.53 installed currently so I will check to see that it still works though.

bjaffa Jaffa

If you could quickly just reprogram your EthernetAddOn with the Teensy 3.2 and see if it communicates with OnStep 3.16o, I would appreciate it.
I am building another EthernetAddon with the Teensy 3.2 just to see if it will work.
I am not sure how I got the EthernetAddOn (PCB 2.0) with the T4.0 but I did and it worked with high resolution A/B  encoders (311,296). I wish
I had not upgraded now as it was work perfectly and was using to test how OnStep versions/drivers  were working.
If I get T4.0 working again I will post it on the group so everyone knows what works.

Thanks,

Brent

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 02:15 PM, bjaffa Jaffa wrote:
If you could quickly just reprogram your EthernetAddOn with the Teensy 3.2 and see if it communicates with OnStep 3.16o, I would appreciate it.
I am building another EthernetAddon with the Teensy 3.2 just to see if it will work.
I have one, it's in my observatory across the state, so no I can't.  I do need to update it so that will happen eventually but then again it hasn't been that long ago that I flashed it last time.  One or two versions back.

MiniPCB2/T4.0 still works fine.  Flashed with the latest master branch just now.

bjaffa Jaffa

Thanks Howard,

In a few days I should have the EthernetAddOn with a Teensy 3.2 so I should know if it is the T4.0 or an environment issue.

bjaffa Jaffa

Howard,

I just wanted to let you know my latest testing on the EthernetAddOn:
I just built and tested an W5500 EthernetAddon (1.12e) with a Teensy 3.2 (Onstep 3.16o) and it functions correctly.  Arduino 1.8.13/Teensyduino 1.53
FYI: I know that before I had to update my Arduino/Teensyduino environment; I had a EthernetAddOn functioning with a Teensy 4.0.
I had to remove the T4.0 and replace T3.2. Prior to upgrade & environment changes it was functioning very reliably.
I can not reproduce it with my new environment nor I am not sure what versions the Arduino/teensyduino was.

Brent