Topics

Non goto HEQ-5

thaiacepilot

Anyone try to upgrade HEQ-5 non goto version with onstep? I have NEMA17 0.9 Deg and DRV8825 (Work very well on EQ-3 but now my equipments are overload)
Can I upgrade this mount like Synscan upgrade?(Motor,PCB and all electronic replace inside mount)

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 07:14 AM, thaiacepilot wrote:
Anyone try to upgrade HEQ-5 non goto version with onstep? I have NEMA17 0.9 Deg and DRV8825 (Work very well on EQ-3 but now my equipments are overload)
Can I upgrade this mount like Synscan upgrade?(Motor,PCB and all electronic replace inside mount)
Plenty of people converted EQ5 type mounts to OnStep. These include CG-5, Vixen Super Polaris and Great Polaris, ...etc.
In fact, it is the most popular type that people convert to OnStep.

You can find examples on the showcase page.

The only part that I don't recommend is the DRV8825. Use the LV8729, since they run cooler, don't have vibration issues, and are more precise. They should handle the 0.9A motors just fine.

George Cushing

Folks have done the HEQ-6 and the Tak EM/10 which has a similar configuration. The MiniPCB Ver. 127 is a good solution for and in the mount control board. https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/2E-MiniPCB

Howard Dutton

Scroll down to the bottom of that page to see my EM10 mount where the MiniPCB controller is behind the black plastic cover plate.