Topics

OnStep Android controller location setting and park operation and location anomaly

Dan Sawyer

Good morning. OnStep is a Blue Pill kit on a Meade 10 fork mount. The OnStep version is 4.1f. The latitude is 45 degrees 32 minutes North. In the location menu site one is set to the current coordinates and labeled 'home'.

Question 1. In the site menu when site 1, home, is selected there is an 'use current location' button. Does that button select site 1 or does it over ride and try to use the phone to determine the current location?

Question 2: When I select 'Park' from the park menu the current latitude is set to 47 degrees 31 minutes. Where is this value coming from? The current location is 45 degrees 32 minutes.

Thanks, Dan

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 01:32 PM, Dan Sawyer wrote:
Question 1. In the site menu when site 1, home, is selected there is an 'use current location' button. Does that button select site 1 or does it over ride and try to use the phone to determine the current location?
The "Use Current Location" button tells the app: use the GPS to get the latitude and longitude, and refresh the screen to show that.
It does not send this info to OnStep until you press the "Upload" button.

The above two steps make it very easy to set the location in OnStep.

Question 2: When I select 'Park' from the park menu the current latitude is set to 47 degrees 31 minutes. Where is this value coming from? The current location is 45 degrees 32 minutes.
OnStep requires that you select a park position before you can actually park the mount.

Read more about Parking here https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/5650

Dan Sawyer

The instructions from the wiki are:

Set-Park:  The first step in using the parking feature is to tell OnStep how you want the telescope orientated while parked.  Start OnStep in the usual way and do an alignment.  Once aligned do a goto to put the telescope in the desired orientation then press the Set-Park button.

The desired park position is pointing to the Zenith. The instructions are to enter coordinates, in this case sidereal time and latitude. Is there a short cut to specify these values? Accurate Sidereal time is difficult because it is a moving target.

On 9/12/20 1:22 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 01:32 PM, Dan Sawyer wrote:
The "Use Current Location" button tells the app: use the GPS to get the latitude and longitude, and refresh the screen to show that.
It does not send this info to OnStep until you press the "Upload" button.

The above two steps make it very easy to set the location in OnStep.

OnStep requires that you select a park position before you can actually park the mount.

Read more about Parking here https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/5650

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 11:22 AM, Dan Sawyer wrote:
The desired park position is pointing to the Zenith. The instructions are to enter coordinates, in this case sidereal time and latitude. Is there a short cut to specify these values? Accurate Sidereal time is difficult because it is a moving target.
I don't have a permanent setup, so I don't use this feature.

But it should be as simple as : a) slew to the desired position, then b) Press Set-Park.
There should not be a need to enter coordinates or stuff like that.