Onstep EQ-5 not reaching NE-NW part of the sky

@Neoneno1

Hi all,

I am trying to fix an issue that's been bugging me for a few weeks now. I own an Instein/Onstep kit on a EQ-5 mount and since i bought it, i cannot slew correctly  on the NE - N - NW region.
Below i attached a photo where i coloured in RED the area of the sky where the telescope does not want to slew to and in blue, from where i am not having anymore issues.

Each time i try to slew on the red part, the mount slews on the wrong side of the pier, and goes inside a limit having the RA at 90. I do not understand what settings i need to change in order for the mount to understand that the RA is on the wrong side of the meridian .
I tried changing in Config.H the pier side from BEST to EAST and WEST, but that did not change anything.

Any ideas would be truly appreciated.

kevin_kevin_kevin@...

Hi, No idea if this is of any use as I am totally new to this group and have only played with a friends telescope i borrowed for a bit. it has an EQ mount on it and  after nievly pointing it at polaris with the polarscope and then i tried to set up the goto mount. i couldn't work out what was going on with it untill i was informed that the scope should be on the top when i aligned it on polaris, i had it on the side of the mount. i am used to az mounts where there is only one way to point at a star.  aparantly not with an EQ , Doh.

@Neoneno1

Hi ,

That is not the case for me. I have no problem slewing to targets in the S, E or W.
The problem starts when i try to go to targets near Polaris, N, NW or NE .

I made a short video showing the issue, where i slew to 2 targets in the W without problems and then i try 2 targets in the NW . Even the drivers know the telescope is not pointing right, but i presume it has something to do with some settings in the  limits.

Video : Video from Stellarium