Topics

sticky OnStep from Instein.eu

Ivan Berton

I buy from Einstein.eu and after about 1 month and no response i receive all ( SHC and onstep).

I had no response for 2 week on my question but after i had reply from Roberto that help me for connection to the stepper and to change the stepper driver from TMC2130 to TMC 5160.
Roberto send me even the source code and instruction to compile all even for SHC and resolve some problem of compilation.

I use this email instein.eu@... and the last was 15 may 2020.

Il giorno 18 giu 2020, alle ore 21:53, astroman <woodwardrijsewijk@...> ha scritto:

Hi Everyone, I was looking to get started with an OnStep controller and ordered a full ready made controller from Instein.eu and it hasn't gone very well at all. I see they're approved to distribute this system so I assume they're reputable and there are some recent difficulties which I can sympathise with but it appears I won't be getting a controller or my money back. I write this hoping someone in the community has some suggestion of what to do next or some direct way to contact them.

I ordered on the website so didn't realise just how bad the communication was. It took a month to get the order shipped, emails took over a week to be replied to. When it arrived there was just two stepper motors in the box. I reported this and over a week later I got a reply acknowledging an error but no further instructions. He said he would ask someone who he suspected received my order by mistake. I opened a Paypal dispute as the deadline was approaching and I heard nothing more. At this point the whole situation had been playing out for over 2 months. Apparently Instein agreed to issue a refund and Paypal would issue this once I returned the motors, this part is my fault but the deadline was only a week, I missed the emails from Paypal and they were buried. The first I saw of this offer was an email from Paypal saying the deadline expired and I don't get a refund. I'm sitting now with no OnStep, 210 euros out of pocket and not heard a peep from Instein in weeks.

Apologies that my first post to the group is a negative one. I've ordered the components and a PCB to make my own, so I should be up and running soon enough! I'm really looking forward to getting to grips with the OnStep, it looks a superb system!

Howard Dutton

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 01:43 PM, astroman wrote:
I see they're approved to distribute this system so I assume they're reputable and there are some recent difficulties which I can sympathise with but it appears I won't be getting a controller or my money back. I write this hoping someone in the community has some suggestion of what to do next or some direct way to contact them.
Well I hope Instein is just moving slowly and makes this right.

Also, while we have certainly recognized Instein and directed folks there (up until now) who were looking for a ready to go kit, I wouldn't say we "approved" anything.

Howard Dutton

I'm pinning this Topic, so users who stop by are aware of the situation.

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 04:43 PM, astroman wrote:
I was looking to get started with an OnStep controller and ordered a full ready made controller from Instein.eu and it hasn't gone very well at all. I see they're approved to distribute this system so I assume they're reputable and there are some recent difficulties which I can sympathise with but it appears I won't be getting a controller or my money back. I write this hoping someone in the community has some suggestion of what to do next or some direct way to contact them.
I can't comment on Instein because I have not dealt with them directly.

However, the statement that is highlighted above is a misconception.

OnStep is completely open source, free firmware, licensed under the General Public License.
Under this license ANYONE is allowed to distribute and sell that firmware any way they wish.

There is no approval process for anyone to sell OnStep (or any other open source product).
Nor there is a list of those who were approved and those who were not.