Topics

sticky OnStep from Instein.eu

Ivan Berton

I buy from Einstein.eu and after about 1 month and no response i receive all ( SHC and onstep).

I had no response for 2 week on my question but after i had reply from Roberto that help me for connection to the stepper and to change the stepper driver from TMC2130 to TMC 5160.
Roberto send me even the source code and instruction to compile all even for SHC and resolve some problem of compilation.

I use this email instein.eu@... and the last was 15 may 2020.

Il giorno 18 giu 2020, alle ore 21:53, astroman <woodwardrijsewijk@...> ha scritto:

Hi Everyone, I was looking to get started with an OnStep controller and ordered a full ready made controller from Instein.eu and it hasn't gone very well at all. I see they're approved to distribute this system so I assume they're reputable and there are some recent difficulties which I can sympathise with but it appears I won't be getting a controller or my money back. I write this hoping someone in the community has some suggestion of what to do next or some direct way to contact them.

I ordered on the website so didn't realise just how bad the communication was. It took a month to get the order shipped, emails took over a week to be replied to. When it arrived there was just two stepper motors in the box. I reported this and over a week later I got a reply acknowledging an error but no further instructions. He said he would ask someone who he suspected received my order by mistake. I opened a Paypal dispute as the deadline was approaching and I heard nothing more. At this point the whole situation had been playing out for over 2 months. Apparently Instein agreed to issue a refund and Paypal would issue this once I returned the motors, this part is my fault but the deadline was only a week, I missed the emails from Paypal and they were buried. The first I saw of this offer was an email from Paypal saying the deadline expired and I don't get a refund. I'm sitting now with no OnStep, 210 euros out of pocket and not heard a peep from Instein in weeks.

Apologies that my first post to the group is a negative one. I've ordered the components and a PCB to make my own, so I should be up and running soon enough! I'm really looking forward to getting to grips with the OnStep, it looks a superb system!

Howard Dutton

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 01:43 PM, astroman wrote:
I see they're approved to distribute this system so I assume they're reputable and there are some recent difficulties which I can sympathise with but it appears I won't be getting a controller or my money back. I write this hoping someone in the community has some suggestion of what to do next or some direct way to contact them.
Well I hope Instein is just moving slowly and makes this right.

Also, while we have certainly recognized Instein and directed folks there (up until now) who were looking for a ready to go kit, I wouldn't say we "approved" anything.

Howard Dutton

I'm pinning this Topic, so users who stop by are aware of the situation.

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 04:43 PM, astroman wrote:
I was looking to get started with an OnStep controller and ordered a full ready made controller from Instein.eu and it hasn't gone very well at all. I see they're approved to distribute this system so I assume they're reputable and there are some recent difficulties which I can sympathise with but it appears I won't be getting a controller or my money back. I write this hoping someone in the community has some suggestion of what to do next or some direct way to contact them.
I can't comment on Instein because I have not dealt with them directly.

However, the statement that is highlighted above is a misconception.

OnStep is completely open source, free firmware, licensed under the General Public License.
Under this license ANYONE is allowed to distribute and sell that firmware any way they wish.

There is no approval process for anyone to sell OnStep (or any other open source product).
Nor there is a list of those who were approved and those who were not.

Mike

Originally, I thought the site (mentioned above) was the main onstep site as they appeared to sell the kit...  strangely enough... there was no link to purchase it.

Just checked the link and domain is now for sale...

Michael

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 05:56 AM, Michael wrote:
Just checked the link and domain is now for sale...
From over here, the instein.eu web site has a notice that, for disease reasons, they are refunding money to those who purchased their products, and hope to be back in business soon.

Mike

My condolences to all involved and I hope they will be back in business soon, their product did have good potential...

George Cushing

There is a group https://groups.io/g/InsteinOnstepDrive but I see no messages or other activity.

Pretty sure Instein's controllers were all Mega2650 based. If my experience with the success of the OnStep concept means anything. Instein could have easily got over-whelmed with orders.

I accepted Khalid's offer to take over distribution of the STM32 kits last August or September. Since then over 260 STM32 PCBs have left here. Most were complete kits may 20 PCBs only and a dozen assembled. Knowing China likes to go away for a month during Lunar New Year I had built up my parts inventory before Covid hit. But I went though that in about 7 weeks and the supply chains have only just started to function again. Just got a some pulleys order about 5 months ago.

I had also built up a small inventory of parts for the MiniPCBv2 as due to an error in a PCB order I had 150 PCBs for them. My mistake turn into a blessing as it gave me something to offer folks during the drought. As the Teensys come from PJRC a U.S. supplier, I can get an order filled in 3-4 days. I usually order 10 at a time. They last about the same number of days. Somewhere between 30-35 have gone out.

I'm shipping STM32s again, but keeping the RTCs in stock is touch and go. I have a pending order made May 13 from OZ with DHL shipping, don't have any idea where that is. Another pending since 6/23 that's still in China and one that was made 7/2 that's 30 miles down the road. so it's safe to say orders are arriving in inverse order of the dates they were made. Jia Li Chuang, which supplies the PCBs has never faltered to deliver in under 10 days.

vankarem77@...

I have been out for a time due to diseasse reasons and now im tryng to get things to work ok, also due to covid situation many parts has not arrived in time.
The controllers im making now are ESP32 based using Bigtreeth TMC5160 drivers, i dont have TMC2130 for now, but the controller is still not ready because i have and issue when moving RA axis at 1/2 of V max speed; RA axis take some minutes to recover IRUN set current but take too much time to recover IRUN set current when you use manual telescope movement at 1/2 Max speed.
For example, for IRUN = 600mA and RA state tracking the system (powered at 12VDC) current draw is 400mA but once you make a move on RA at 1/2 VMax, the system current draw is 1,2A when return to tracking mode.
My settings are;

TMC5160_VQUIET
DRIVER_IHOLD   300
DRIVER_IRUN     600
DRIVER_IGOTO    900

For all manual movements the system take some time to recover IRUN current setting but specially for 1/2 Vmax the system does not recover IRUN current setting for RA, dont know if it is a stepper driver issue or not.

Howard Dutton

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 06:13 AM, <vankarem77@...> wrote:
For all manual movements the system take some time to recover IRUN current setting but specially for 1/2 Vmax the system does not recover IRUN current setting for RA, dont know if it is a stepper driver issue or not.
First let me say that I'm glad to see you back and hope you're feeling better now.

I will investigate the issue but could you first let me know what version of OnStep.  Is this 3.16 or the master?

Ivan Berton

i have this stepper motor

103H7123-0740.jpg

are 2 A/phase.

If i use TMC5160 what can be the correct value for

power 12V or more?

TMC5160_VQUIET
DRIVER_IHOLD   ?
DRIVER_IRUN     ?
DRIVER_IGOTO    ?

thanks for reply

Il giorno 28 lug 2020, alle ore 15:16, Howard Dutton <hjd1964@...> ha scritto:

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 06:13 AM, <vankarem77@...> wrote:
For all manual movements the system take some time to recover IRUN current setting but specially for 1/2 Vmax the system does not recover IRUN current setting for RA, dont know if it is a stepper driver issue or not.
First let me say that I'm glad to see you back and hope you're feeling better now.

I will investigate the issue but could you first let me know what version of OnStep.  Is this 3.16 or the master?

vankarem77@...

I use a custom 3.16o on ESP32, works perfect with TMC5160_QUIET instead of VQUIET, i tested while ago, there is the same problem with 3.x OnStep versions.
With the TMC2130 i had same issue

Howard Dutton

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 06:31 AM, <vankarem77@...> wrote:
I use a custom 3.16o on ESP32, works perfect with TMC5160_QUIET instead of VQUIET, i tested while ago, there is the same problem with 3.x OnStep versions.
With the TMC2130 i had same issue
Wondering if IGOTO messes with the stealthChop current regulation and just shouldn't be used in VQUIET.  I will test.

vankarem77@...

Hello Ivan, that is an unipolar stepper motor, to work with bipolar drivers dont connect white and black wires, conect the other wires to the drive motor outputs as follows:
Orange  RJ45 Pin 1& 2
Blue       RJ45 Pin 3 & 4
Red        RJ45 Pin 5 & 6
Yellow     RJ45 Pin 7 & 8

You can google RJ45 pin out number assign.

For the firmware, i suppose you are using V3.16g with TMC5160 use this settings;

TMC5160_QUIET  (QUIET instead of VQUIET)
DRIVER_IHOLD   250
DRIVER_IRUN     500
DRIVER_IGOTO   1000

Driver IRUN should be set as low as possibble to maintain heat disipation low (without step loss), you can try higher setting for IRUN if you have step loss but i dont think.
Depending of your steps per degree configuration you will need to power the drive at 18VDC or 22VDC (max) if you want to get higher slew rates, you can start doing slews at 12VDC with no step loss and then
try 18VDC, in the config.h file you can find desired slew rate, wich is by default 1, you can change it to 1.25 to get 600x slew rate

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 06:43 AM, <vankarem77@...> wrote:
Hello Ivan, that is an unipolar stepper motor, to work with bipolar drivers dont connect white and black wires, conect the other wires to the drive motor outputs as follows:
Orange  RJ45 Pin 1& 2
Blue       RJ45 Pin 3 & 4
Red        RJ45 Pin 5 & 6
Yellow     RJ45 Pin 7 & 8
Probably half-coil mode is going to be better if you need to reach decent RPM's (normally the rated current, 2A in this case, is for driving these half-coils in unipolar steppers.)  Note: in full-coil mode this should be a 1.4A rated motor AFAIK.

You can google RJ45 pin out number assign.

For the firmware, i suppose you are using V3.16g with TMC5160 use this settings;

TMC5160_QUIET  (QUIET instead of VQUIET)
Agree.

DRIVER_IHOLD   250
DRIVER_IRUN     500
DRIVER_IGOTO   1000

Counter-intuitively it normally works out that IGOTO being the same as or lower than IRUN provides the best balance of performance.  Precise control of the stepper motor shaft position during tracking (which you may or may not need more current for depending on how much overall reduction the mount has) with the higher current IRUN... and a lower IGOTO for less mid-band resonance that tends to steal more torque than you gain once above about 40% power (for example 2A * 1.41 * 0.4 = 1.1A.)

Ivan Berton

If i use the Einstein.eu hardware changing the TMC2130 with the TMC5160, what firmware i have to use? 3.16g or i can test the latest 4.10e?

Il giorno 28 lug 2020, alle ore 15:43, vankarem77@... ha scritto:

[...]

I tested the above settings with TMC2130's and could not reproduce this problem with them.

The TMC5160 stealthChop and its register is different than TMC2130's though... when time allows I will check those too.