Dave Schwartz

The OCG is intended only to create a simple Config.h file of the common options in order to minimize the parameters that are more commonly forgotten or misspelled by beginners editing the file manually. It was never intended to support every possible variation of every possible parameter so there is nearly always going to be some parameters which still need to be edited manually for the more advanced features. WEATHER is but one of them.

Perhaps the OCG page should state this clearly in the text either before or after the form.

On 2020-09-16 8:03 a.m., GOBAUD Philippe wrote:
Hello Khalid and Howard and the list, in Onstep generator for version 3.16 stable  and 4 x  latest master version, I see that there is nothing planned for the BME280 sensor unlike the original config.h configuration of this versions, how to use OnStep generator with a BME280 sensor ?

great regards

Philippe

<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&;utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail> Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&;utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 10:19 AM, Dave Schwartz wrote:
Perhaps the OCG page should state this clearly in the text either before or after the form.
That is now done.

Dave Schwartz

Looking good!

On 2020-09-16 12:52 p.m., Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 10:19 AM, Dave Schwartz wrote:

Perhaps the OCG page should state this clearly in the text either
before or after the form.

That is now done.

GOBAUD Philippe

Hello,
Thank you very much Dave for the answer, I understand well that it complicates to add a lot of parameters not necessary at the beginning for the beginners, I asked the question because before the sensor BME280 was envisaged in OnStep Generator;
Khalid you just  added it, thanks a lot that great !!!

best regard
Philippe

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

Looking good!

On 2020-09-16 12:52 p.m., Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 10:19 AM, Dave Schwartz wrote:
>
>     Perhaps the OCG page should state this clearly in the text either
>     before or after the form.
>
> That is now done.

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 07:39 AM, GOBAUD Philippe wrote:
I understand well that it complicates to add a lot of parameters not necessary at the beginning for the beginners, I asked the question because before the sensor BME280 was envisaged in OnStep Generator;
The previous version of the OCG was written when there were many configuration files, one for each type of board.
At that time, the options were different SOMETHING_ON SOMETHING_OFF and so on.

With version 3.x of OnStep, the options had a consistent format SOMETHING ON or SOMETHING OFF.
So I did not bother for many months with the OCG for version 3.x.
However, after seeing many users struggle on this mailing list, even with the improved format, I rewrote OCG using a different approach: using a template Config.h, and tokens, and simply replacing the tokens.
This allowed supporting both 3.x and 4.x with minimal code.
And minimal code is not just out of laziness. Less code means less maintenance and less errors.
Along with all the above, I also simplified the form, so users don't get lost in a huge wall of text and values.
So that is the rationale for how things are ..

GOBAUD Philippe

Hello Khalid,
Thank you very much for all of these explanations and a big thank you for the wonderful work you do with Howard to help us move forward with our project. I took the stable version 3.16 and I added the BME280, it's also good to do the config manually, it allows progress.

Philippe