Topics

Onstep on ESP32 & Stellarium - Help needed

raabe.stefan@...

Hi!

Today I got may telescope camera and the seeing is great. Webserver and mechanics works fine, but I'm not able to control the teleskope with Stellarium.
I use OnEsp 1.12i (OnStep 3.16q), Stellarium 0.20.4
The connection is via USB to the ESP32 and seems to work somehow, so I think Computer (linux) and Onstep could communicate.
Protocol is set to Meade LX200.

After a fresh reboot of the onstep this happens:
If I connect in stellarium, nothing happens, just the status goes from disconnected to connected.
If I disconnect, the steppers getting a short pulse but are still not powered.

I click homeposition(reset) on the onstep website (via wifi on PC)  it stays the same.

then:
If I click Align: 1 Star (on the onsteop website), the steppers get energized.
If I connect stellarium to onsteop. stepper are still energized.
If I disconnect, steppers get unenergized.

If I disconnect and connect to fast again, the esp8266 webserver looses the connection to onstep.

I tried several hours but no succes. no movement control possible via stellarium.
What should I try or do?

I'm new to astronomy, and I did not completely understand what homeposition, alignment or sync means or what it does and in which order I have to use it.

------
Another thing: In the library tab, I can chose one of 15 numbers, then it show "Working..." for a second, then it says chose catalogue has no name, and I cant choose anything (see attachment). What are the steps to use the library?

btw:
A strange thing I noticed after a onstep reboot, but probably not related (I reboot both, the esp32 ü 8266 at the same time): At Align: there is just the 1* Button, not the two other ones. (see attachment) If I hit F5, it stays the same. If I choose the Tab "Status" and then go back to the control tab, the all 3 alignment possibilities show up.

Thanks for help and advice,
Stefan

raabe.stefan@...

Hi,

I tried again several setups, also via wireless (where I also can succesfully connect), but no succes.
Is it worth to try another software like Kstars or an INDI-Setup?

Is there a logfile or debug information available where I can see if Onstep is receiving information?

As I understood, Onsteps goto-function can be used without external software, because it has inbuilt cataluques. This does not seem to work in my setup - please see the screenshot.

Thanks, Stefan

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 03:42 AM, <raabe.stefan@...> wrote:
I tried again several setups, also via wireless (where I also can succesfully connect), but no succes.
Is it worth to try another software like Kstars or an INDI-Setup?
I use KStars, and it works perfectly with OnStep/Ekos/INDI.
But I have two boards that are different from your boards (Blue Pill and FYSETC S6).
Both work without issues, through USB and WiFi.

Is there a logfile or debug information available where I can see if Onstep is receiving information?
You can enable DEBUG VERBOSE in the Config.h file, and watch what is happening from Arduino's Serial Monitor
or a terminal program (I use picocom).

However, this is the same USB port that is being used to send commands to OnStep, so if you do that it will not work properly.
But if you connecting over WiFi, you can watch what is happening over USB.

As I understood, Onsteps goto-function can be used without external software, because it has inbuilt cataluques. This does not seem to work in my setup - please see the screenshot.
OnStep does not have any catalogs by default. The catalogs are in OnStep's client programs (SHC, Android App, planetariums).

You can add a limited number of custom items to the user catalog, and that is the page you are seeing (user defined objects).