Topics

OnStep releases

alberto.annovi@...

Hello,
  I am new user of OnStep that came with a used VixenGP that I just bought.
I am very happy of OnStep. Thanks for it!

The OnStep is a MKS Gen-L with a D1 mini with OnESP 1.6.
I would like to control it using Stellarium. I see that this requires OnESP 1.8b.
I would like to update to a release containing OnESP 1.8b or higher.

I looked around for a while. I have found in the page only the link to release 2.22 (https://github.com/hjd1964/OnStep/archive/release-2.22.zip) that includes OnEsp 1.7x. I have seen release 3.0h named here (https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/5-Connecting) but without a link to the zip file. Also in github I am unable to find the release.
Could you please recommend which code to use?
I would prefer to use code from a release rather than the most recent code in github.

Thanks for your help,
Alberto

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 02:22 PM, <alberto.annovi@...> wrote:
I looked around for a while. I have found in the page only the link to release 2.22 (https://github.com/hjd1964/OnStep/archive/release-2.22.zip) that includes OnEsp 1.7x. I have seen release 3.0h named here (https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/5-Connecting) but without a link to the zip file. Also in github I am unable to find the release.
Could you please recommend which code to use?
I would prefer to use code from a release rather than the most recent code in github.
Version 3.x is now in the 'master' version. It does not have a release tag.

Download it from here.
https://github.com/hjd1964/OnStep/archive/master.zip

The configuration is a bit different. You edit a Config.h file (not Config.something.h), but the
parameters are much easier to understand and change.

Joao J Neves

Em ter, 14 de jan de 2020 17:26, Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> escreveu:

[...]

Thank you!

Soon, I will be trying the newly compiled OnEsp 1.11l from 3.0h.
While I try this out, is it safe to keep the OnStep disconnected from the motors?
Or shall the load from the motor need to be always connected?

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 02:44 PM, <alberto.annovi@...> wrote:
While I try this out, is it safe to keep the OnStep disconnected from the motors?
Or shall the load from the motor need to be always connected?
The motors need not be connected all the time.
If everything is powered off, there is no load to the motors.
If you move the motors manually, the capacitors on the MKS Gen-L should
protect the board.

alberto.annovi@...

After I bit of trial and error with the serial speed and swap, I was able to get the recompiled OnEsp version up and running.
Thanks