Topics

Onstep stm32 board testing advice

Hemendra Rawat

Unfortunately, the LV8729 drivers I ordered from Aliexpress are taking a long time to arrive. I have rest of the PCB completed with all the active components plugged in (STM32F303, RTC module, Wifi, CP2102 etc).

My question is, Can I do any form of limited testing of the board without the stepper drivers. For e.g. Attempting to flash the Onstep firmware on the STM32 and trying to connect my mobile via WI-FI just to test the board ? Does Onstep firmware work without the stepper drivers ?

Mike Ahner

According to the Wiki for STM32 Blue Pill PCB, you only a minimum of 2 additional modules: DS3231 RTC and the CP2102 USB to TTL module. Of course you also need the voltage regulator. Look under the section titled "Wiring".

-Mike

Dave Schwartz

Yes it will work without the drivers. When configured for those drivers, whether they are present or not, OnStep never gets any feedback, it's just twiddling output signals and hoping something out there catches them and does the right thing to a stepper motor. Whether that happens or not is immaterial. It will still respond perfectly well to both USB and WiFi and will report to a planetarium program as if it is actually moving a telescope.

On November 26, 2020 11:29:03 PM EST, Hemendra Rawat <hkr1990@...> wrote:
Unfortunately, the LV8729 drivers I ordered from Aliexpress are taking a long time to arrive. I have rest of the PCB completed with all the active components plugged in (STM32F303, RTC module, Wifi, CP2102 etc).

My question is, Can I do any form of limited testing of the board without the stepper drivers. For e.g. Attempting to flash the Onstep firmware on the STM32 and trying to connect my mobile via WI-FI just to test the board ? Does Onstep firmware work without the stepper drivers ?

It will still respond perfectly well to both USB and WiFi and will report to a planetarium program as if it is actually moving a telescope.

Or the Basic HC for that matter. Kill time by building this LED driver tester on perfboard.

Egge

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 05:29 AM, Hemendra Rawat wrote:
My question is, Can I do any form of limited testing of the board without the stepper drivers. For e.g. Attempting to flash the Onstep firmware on the STM32 and trying to connect my mobile via WI-FI just to test the board ? Does Onstep firmware work without the stepper drivers ?
what I totaly underestimated is the hardware around OnStep... fixtures for motors, stepper motors, cabels, connectors, power supply, case, pulleys, belts,... you can use your "wating time" to prepare all of this...

also flashing OnStep to your board without stepper-dirvers is a good idea... testing wifi-connection... you can test via web-interface (internet-exproler 192.168.0.1) or OnStep Anrdoid App... you also can install Stellarium and see if you can get the ascom-driver working... this is another important step forward... everything possible without stepper drivers... if all of this works, it is not much more work to insert the stepper drivers once they arrived and adjust Vref... then you are ready to go...

good luck