Topics

Onstep Telescope+Focuser using together?

daniel@...

Hi Folks,

Is there an whay to use the ascom telescop and focuser driver together? My onstep controler has only one com port, so i can connect ascom either to the telescop or the focusser, not both. As an solution i programmed me an com-port hub, so i can connect 2 virtual com ports with the port of the onstep controler/focuser. The other 2 Ends of the virtual comp ports are the onstep telescop control und the focuser. Now i can use both and can connect the focuser and the telescope to ascom at the same time.
But is there an other easier way to solve this?

Greetings from Germany
Daniel

Howard Dutton

Not really, add a second serial port to OnStep or...

Eventually I'll add IP support to the ASCOM Focuser driver and the intention is for that to be the solution.  Naturally this requires the WiFi or Ethernet option to be installed.

Rob Kean

wait.... I'm confused....

total newb ignorance showing here ( haven't read the source code yet), but the MaxPCB has support for 2 focusers.  How are they controlled, if not through the same ASCOM driver?

-rob

Howard Dutton

Separate ASCOM drivers; one Telescope driver and one Focuser driver (which handles a single focuser.)  A single serial device can't be shared so Telescope or Focuser, not both.  For IP connections there is no such restriction but IP connections are not (yet) supported by the ASCOM Focuser driver.

There is also provision to send focuser swapping commands to OnStep so one driver can operate both focusers.  The Android App Focusing uses the swapping commands (to keep the UI compact.)  The Website will probably do the same (for consistency) when I finish coding it.

Rob Kean

OK, so there isn't a unified driver for both.

so, currently, if I want to use the MaxPCB for both telescope and focuser (1 or both), then I would need to connect to the focuser by COM port and to the telescope by BT or TCP?

-rob

Howard Dutton

Correct.

I already had a focuser driver (OnFocus, stand-alone focuser controller) so it was quick/easy to adapt to support OnStep.

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 1:00 PM, Rob Kean <rhkean@...> wrote:
OK, so there isn't a unified driver for both.

so, currently, if I want to use the MaxPCB for both telescope and focuser (1 or both), then I would need to connect to the focuser by COM port and to the telescope by BT or TCP?

-rob

Rob Kean

it would be cool if it could have a single, unified driver that could be selected for both telescope and focuser...  (like it registered as both for the ascom interface to recognize).  Since the commands are different for focuser and telescope, it would be trivial for the teensy to differentiate the target device.

I haven't delved into the ASCOM interfaces and sample drivers to any great detail yet, so I'm not sure if this is achievable or not.  (side note... it doesn't appear that your ASCOM drivers are open source... just the firmware and schematics... correct?)

thanks,
rob

Howard Dutton

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 11:50 am, Rob Kean wrote:
(side note... it doesn't appear that your ASCOM drivers are open source... just the firmware and schematics... correct?)
That is correct.

daniel@...

It Seems that my solution ist the only that works with only one USB connection. Here i try to demonstrate my solution:

    COM-PORT Hub                Virtual Com Port
    (Software Com-Port Hub)  (Software com0com)

    .Com1 X----------Virtual--------x COM2 (->Ascom)
    .     !             .
    .COM3 x----------virtual--------x COM4 (->Ascom)
    .     !              .                       USB Port
    .COM5 x---------------------------------O----------->ONSTEP/Telescope & Focuser
    .all Ports        .
    .connected!   .

    ASCOM
    COM2=ONSTEP Telescope
    COM4=ONFOCUS

If interested, I can provide the software "Com Port Hub" here. The Software "com0com" can be found here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/com0com/

stefacom1@...

Somewhere, anyone have test this solution ? i'm in same case (no wifi/ip connection)

Howard Dutton

Also remember my ASCOM Focuser and Telescope driver both support IP connections.

With either the Ethernet or WiFi addon this is a non-issue.

planetibo@...

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 08:07 PM, <daniel@...> wrote:
can provide the software "Com Port Hub" here
Hi!
I would like try your  solution with your developpement of the software "Com Port Hub".
Because, i try with com0com with no success...

thomas.westerhoff24@...

Hi @ all,
I'm also interested in that software if it really works.
--
Thomas Westerhoff
Kirchheim Observatory /Germany

planetibo@...

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 07:51 AM, <thomas.westerhoff24@...> wrote:
Hi @ all,
I'm also interested in that software if it really works

Hello,
There is this solution that I tested successfully last night.
http://com0com.sourceforge.net/

The right parameters for "com0com" and "hub4com":

COM3 is my Com port of CHG340-MKS Gen-L v2.0

-Create Virtual port with com0com :
   COM9 > CNCB0
   COM10 > CNCB1

-Launch hub4com
hub4com.exe --baud=9600 --octs=off --route=All:0 --route=0:All \\.\COM3 \\.\CNCB0 \\.\CNCB1

-Now, i can configure "Poth Setup" with the "Scope Connection" on COM9 and "Focuser Connection" on COM10.

And there's another, better way for those with Teensy's...

The latest master branch now has support for dual and triple serial.  Enable the option and OnStep will compile to use them.  Does exactly what the name implies puts 3x virtual serial ports on a single USB interface:

Alexander Varakin

Another way to fix this is to use Linux for connecting to OnStep.
Linux INDI driver can work with both mount and focuser using the same USB port.
There are several options for doing this:
1. Linux laptop/PC which does everything
2. Raspberry Pi (better 4, but 3 works too) which also runs everything, including Ekos/Kstars and you just connect to it using remote desktop
3. Raspberry Pi for hardware control and run Ekos/Kstars on Windows as a client

I run option 2 for few years now and very happy with it, very stable and no issues with roaming COM ports as very common with Windows.