Topics

OnStep website

MikeyB

Greetings,

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but what is the OnStep Website?

I've got my MaxPCB2 working using Stellarium, Sky Safari, etc, but I'm confused about what exactly is the OnStep Website and how to access that?

Mike

Mihai Gavrilciuc

Hi Mike,

  There are no dumb questions here☺...

https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/3860

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 at 15:20, MikeyB
<mjblackam@...> wrote:
Greetings,

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but what is the OnStep Website?

I've got my MaxPCB2 working using Stellarium, Sky Safari, etc, but I'm confused about what exactly is the OnStep Website and how to access that?

Mike

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

Actually there is only the below reference in the Wiki (features page).

IP devices supported are either the ESP8266 for WiFi or the Teensy3.2/W5500 (recommended) for Ethernet. My OnStep "add-on" firmware gets uploaded to one of these and connects to OnStep via. a serial interface.  IP devices have both a command channel (for my Android App, Sky Safari, ASCOM, etc.) and a web server.

The "Website" is the web server at IP 192.168.0.1 and is accessed by any browser using  the IP as the http entry. You must be able to connect to OnSite of course. Ethernet or WiFi.

MikeyB

Hi Mihai,
Thanks for your reply. I guess what I don't understand is, for example the following quotes, that suggest there is a website to connect to, but I'm not sure how to do this, or if I mis-read the text:

"It's a good idea to also configure some run-time settings to tailor OnStep's behavior to your mount.  These settings are available in the Android App, Website, and SHC."
and...
The OnStep Website:

"If you have the WiFi or Ethernet add-on the website also provides the ability to set the date/time/location and perform a multi-star alignment working side-by-side with 3rd party applications."

iOS

  • The website
    With an ESP8266 WiFi attached the website can be used to operate special features of OnStep.  This includes the ability to set date/time/location and start tracking

Mihai Gavrilciuc

"The "Website" is the web server at IP 192.168.0.1 and is accessed by any browser using  the IP as the http entry. You must be able to connect to OnSite of course. Ethernet or WiFi."

  Just type into a browser bar the ip 192.168.0.1 and you'll be connected to the OnStep configuration Website...you need to have the connection via cable or wifi

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 at 15:51, MikeyB
<mjblackam@...> wrote:
[...]

Rafael Barberá Córdoba

Perhaps do you refer to the “web interface”. We refer to the webserver that runs inside the WiFi add on. It’s a separate program that runs in other processor (usually a Wemos D1 mini) and communicates with the main OnStep MCU via a serial interface. It shows as a “webpage” at address 192.168.0.1

MikeyB

Thanks everyone for responding.
I've got it figured now. Actually I had previously tried connecting to the IP address, but with my PC connected by USB. My desktop PC has no wifi card.
I just tried it from a laptop and all good.
Regards,
Mike

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 05:26 AM, MikeyB wrote:
I've got it figured now. Actually I had previously tried connecting to the IP address, but with my PC connected by USB. My desktop PC has no wifi card.
I just tried it from a laptop and all good.
Is there any possibility of connecting to the webpage via USB--now or in the future?  It would be a useful feature, as sometimes my configuration doesn't allow me to get there conveniently.  I routinely connect the OnStep controller to my laptop via USB.

Dave Schwartz

Perhaps on the MAXESP but it would be a unique configuration because the web server exists in the WiFi addon software and the only way to connect to it there is wirelessly.

Might not be a good idea though because OnStep is a real-time program and doesn't play well with others in a multiprogramming environment. That's why you'll probably never see a Raspberry Pi port of it.