Topics

Onstep with STM32 blue pill for EQ5 #EQ5

Jochen.Siegfried@t-online.de

Dear fellow astronomers
Iam trying to modivy my EQ5 with onstep. I think I can need a little help. The hardware and the mechanical side is less of a problem. Much reading gave me at least some understanding.
I am sure that I will need a little help and guidance with this project as I do not know much about programming Arduino and comuter in generall.
Here are my components.

Skywatcher NEQ5 latest version bought without any electrics or motors - just the mount.
Stepper motors : Nema17 400 Steps /0.9 degree, 0.9 amps/phase Stepperonline 17HM15-0904S for both axis. Belt drive system 16/48 or 3:1 reduction. Worm is 144:1
Onstep with STM32 bluepill with DRV 8825 stepper drivers which I will replace with LV8729. I bought the PCB in May this year over ebay, readily soldered and put in a cardboard. The soldering looks good to me but I have not tested the board yet.

How can I test the board ? The vendor said it is flashed and programed. Even the WiFi would work ... the stepper motors did NOT come with it. I have bought them new. So I know that I have to ajust Vref ...
Would it be possible to test wit the Onstep Android App on my smartphone ? Or the PC with Stellarium ? Do I have to install Ascom on my PC for this ?

Starting from the beginning with the readily solderd PCB:
I have read the Onstep Wiki, watched many videos, know how to adjust Vref and so on but my problem is the software and the work with the PC in general (I am still using Win7 !).
My first problem is that I cannot change the values in the spreadsheet and I have no idea why that is ! I wanted to use Khalids generator which will then generate a config h for me, which I can then upload to the STM32 - if I undrrstood this right.
What is a stable version of Onstep today ?

Any help is highly appreciated !
Thank you very much !

Best regards from Germany
Ferris

andrea tasselli

Hi Ferris,

The likely reason why you can't modify the values in the spreadsheet is because Excel normally locks any file downloaded from the internet. It should also warn you that you cannot edit it unless you allow it to do it. By the way, what software are you using for opening the spreadsheet? Excel or LibreOffice? And don't worry about the windows verio, Win7 is perfectly fine for this (I have the same).

For the other questions follow the wiki for the BluePill step by step, same as I did. Your best bet is to install latest Arduino IDE, upload the latest OnStep stable release (3.16) and flash it as said in the wiki section. You can then test by using Howard's Sky Planetarium, after installing ASCOM 6.5 and the ONStep ASCOM drivers (1.0.6). Be sure that the flash switch is set on the "Run" position (nearest to the WeMos) when you do live test. Do not fret about the motors yet or the Vref. Just check everything is working as it should. Again, let the wiki be your guide in this.

Cheers

Andrea

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 04:39 PM, <jochen.siegfried@...> wrote:
How can I test the board ? The vendor said it is flashed and programed. Even the WiFi would work ... the stepper motors did NOT come with it. I have bought them new. So I know that I have to ajust Vref ...
Would it be possible to test wit the Onstep Android App on my smartphone ? Or the PC with Stellarium ? Do I have to install Ascom on my PC for this ?
The easiest way to test is with the Android App.
This will verify that the board works, despite the Config.h being for different gear ratio, ...etc.

Starting from the beginning with the readily solderd PCB:
I have read the Onstep Wiki, watched many videos, know how to adjust Vref and so on but my problem is the software and the work with the PC in general (I am still using Win7 !).
My first problem is that I cannot change the values in the spreadsheet and I have no idea why that is ! I wanted to use Khalids generator which will then generate a config h for me, which I can then upload to the STM32 - if I undrrstood this right.
You can use the generator if you did the spreadsheet.
See my earlier reply on how to make the downloaded file work.

But to speed up things, here are the values you need, since you already posted everything needed for me to do the spreadsheet:

400 step motor, 32 microstep, 3:1 GR1, 144 GR2 = 15360.0
Steps per worm rotation = 38400
Desired Slewing Rate = 3.0 deg/sec (you can change that later after you test).

You can use those values in the Online Configuration Generator, and a Config.h will be created for you.

What is a stable version of Onstep today ?
3.16 is the stable one.

Jochen.Siegfried@t-online.de

Dear Andrea

thank you very much for your quick respnse. Khalid has also helped me. The spreadshhet is working now ! I will give it a first try tomorrow. This group is phenomenal !! Your fast response really helps !

Thank you very much !

Best regards from Germany

Ferris

-----Original-Nachricht-----

Betreff: Re: [onstep] Onstep with STM32 blue pill for EQ5 #EQ5 #EQ5

Datum: 2020-10-13T23:39:25+0200

Von: "andrea tasselli via groups.io" <andreatax@...>

An: "main@onstep.groups.io" <main@onstep.groups.io>

[...]

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 7:12 PM Jochen.Siegfried@... <Jochen.Siegfried@...> wrote:
Testing my board: After checking Vref for the installed DRV8825 which should be 0.45 V I can connect the motors to the board. The stepper Motors have 4 cables: black, red, blue,and green. Which cabel goes where at the pins behind the stepper drivers ? I know that red is positive ......

No. It is not like that with bipolar stepper motors.

They way they work is that there are two electromagnets, and each has two wires come out.
This is called a 'phase'.

There is no directionality positive and negative, since the driver reverses the current on demand.

Start with the wires connected straight: first one to first pin, 2nd to 2nd, 3rd to 3rd, ...etc.
Then see if they work that way.
If the direction is the opposite of what you need, just reverse one phase, or select the REVERSE option in the configurator.

You may need to redo this process when you get the LV8729, since some drivers are that way, others are the opposite.

How do I adjust my LV8729 to 32 microsteps ??? With the jumper ?

No. Config.h will set the microstepping for you.

In one of your videos you say that you do not need the jumpers for the LV8729 ??? The installed DRV8825 have jumpers set .
You need to connect the J1 and J2 to have SLP and RST pins on the DRV8825 connected.

Once you get the LV8729, jumpers do not matter. They can all be left open.

George Cushing

Believe you are referring to this cable.

If the rotation is incorrect, reverse in in the config.h file.

Jochen.Siegfried@t-online.de

Hello Khalid,

sorry to bother you again.

I have done some more reading today and now I feel ready to power up the ready solderd  OnStep STM32  V1.8 I have bought from someone on ebay. As I said, the vendor told me that it has been flashe and the WiFi module would work ......

So - as you suggested - easiest way to check wether the board is working, is to connect it to the OnStep Android  App I have on my Android ten phone. But I am a bit confused how to do this ???

The app says: " connecting faild select bluetooth or IP adress using option menu ..."

As there is only WiFi on my board I have to use the WiFi option. So here the App says: "For WiFi enter IP Adress and port below (for example 192.168.0.1:9999)

next line says: BC:F2:92:07:B8:DB

So If I would hit the ACCEPT botton at the bottom and if the board would be powered up, it would connect to the Android App .... Is that right ?????

I assume, that I have to connect the two stepper motors to the drivers / board first ???

So next question would be how to check wether the board is working on the OnStep App ??? The stepper motors must turn ??

I also have Sky Safari Pro on my smartphone. So, can I use this App too ?? I read somewhere, that OnStep is using Lx200 protocoll an can be used with Sky Safari or Stellarium too (without Ascom and the Ascom driver) ???

Thank you Khalid !

Regards

Ferris

-----Original-Nachricht-----

Datum: 2020-10-13T23:55:18+0200

Von: "Khalid Baheyeldin" <kbahey@...>

An: "main@onstep.groups.io" <main@onstep.groups.io>

[...]

Ferris,

Same thing happened to me. Just go on your phone WIFI setup and chose OnStep from the list of available networks. Password is “password". After that go to the OnStep App and enter the IP address as it says just above the text field you need to fill. Press Accept and you’re done.

Andrea

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 11:18 AM, Jochen.Siegfried@... wrote:

I have done some more reading today and now I feel ready to power up the ready solderd  OnStep STM32  V1.8 I have bought from someone on ebay. As I said, the vendor told me that it has been flashe and the WiFi module would work ......

So - as you suggested - easiest way to check wether the board is working, is to connect it to the OnStep Android  App I have on my Android ten phone. But I am a bit confused how to do this ???

The app says: " connecting faild select bluetooth or IP adress using option menu ..."

As there is only WiFi on my board I have to use the WiFi option. So here the App says: "For WiFi enter IP Adress and port below (for example 192.168.0.1:9999)

next line says: BC:F2:92:07:B8:DB

So If I would hit the ACCEPT botton at the bottom and if the board would be powered up, it would connect to the Android App .... Is that right ?????

When you power on the OnStep PCB, do you see a WiFi Access Point called ONSTEP?
If so, did you connect your phone to that WiFi Access Point?

I assume, that I have to connect the two stepper motors to the drivers / board first ???

For initial testing (that the phone can connect and control OnStep), you don't need actual motors.
Later you will need to connect motors to test that they a) move, and b) in the right direction, and c) at the correct rate.

So next question would be how to check wether the board is working on the OnStep App ??? The stepper motors must turn ??

See above.

I also have Sky Safari Pro on my smartphone. So, can I use this App too ?? I read somewhere, that OnStep is using Lx200 protocoll an can be used with Sky Safari or Stellarium too (without Ascom and the Ascom driver) ???

Other people have successfully used Sky Safari. I don't use it, so I don't know.

Jochen.Siegfried@t-online.de

Hello Andrea

So here I have first results:
I connected the stepper motors to the board. I still have the original DRV8825 on the board. I switched the board on.

On the STM32 one LED was blinking and the other was solid although I cannot remeber which one was solid or blinking. There was a blue LED on the WiFi board and indeed in the WiFi settings it showed OnStep. As password I used password because I read that in the discription. Then opend the App which failed to connect. I have played around a little but there was no connection and the motors did not turn. Then I went to Sky safari pro used the LX200 classic and German Mount but again - no connection.

Then I toucht the Dec stepper which was ratter warm (at the cooling fins) then I thouched the Dec Motor and almost burned my fingers ..... !!!!!!

So I am completely lost now !!!

Is the motor now blown up ? Is the stepper driver blown up ????

I still have the brand new LV8729 that I could try !!!!

Only the Dec driver and the dec motor became hot - Ra stepper and RA motor was cold ....
Please help !!!

Regards
Ferris

-----Original-Nachricht-----

Datum: 2020-10-13T23:55:18+0200

Von: "Khalid Baheyeldin" <kbahey@...>

An: "main@onstep.groups.io" <main@onstep.groups.io>

[...]

Did you adjust the Vref on the drivers to match the motors at 40%?
See the Wiki on how to do this.

When you connected the App, did you make sure you use 192.168.0.1:9999 as the address?

From a browser on your phone, what do you see when you go to http://192.168.0.1/?

Dave Schwartz

Obviously the vendor did not adjust Vref on the drivers.

Disconnect the motors and adjust Vref before reconnecting them. There is a fairly good reference for the non-SPI drivers at https://www.solidrop.net/photo-2/lerdge-3d-printer-board-arm-32bit-controller-motherboard-for-3d-printer-control-mainboard-with-3-5-tft-touch-screen-kit-diy.jpg

The way I do the adjustment is to connect the negative lead of my voltmeter to any convenient ground point and then clip the positive lead to the metal shaft of a small jeweler's screwdriver. Then simply watch the reading on the voltmeter as you turn the adjustment on the driver until close to the desired value. You are going to have to determine your motor's current requirement either from a spec sheet that came with them of from an internet search. You should start with a target about 40% of what the formulas on the sheet above tell you. Adjust above that only if you are having motor stalling either now or after you get them connected to the mount.

Datum: 2020-10-16T17:28:42+0200
Von: "andrea tasselli via groups.io" <andreatax=yahoo.com@groups.io>
An: "main@onstep.groups.io" <main@onstep.groups.io>

Ferris,

Same thing happened to me. Just go on your phone WIFI setup and chose OnStep from the list of available networks. Password is “password". After that go to the OnStep App and enter the IP address as it says just above the text field you need to fill. Press Accept and you’re done.

Andrea

Jochen.Siegfried@t-online.de

Dave, Kalid ! Thank you for answering.

The motors I use are Nema17, 400steps, 0.9 Amps per phase. My power supply is 12V/5Amp. So I think Vref should be 0.45 amps ??? Is this correct !

So the Dec driver was not ajusted because RA was not heating up, although non of the motors was turning !

Can I adjust Vref with the drivers and all the other module still on the board ??

So, the OnStep App did nor connect to the board. Can I remove both motors and try again to connect to Onstep App ???? Can I split the problem. get the App to connect, then adjust Vref ???

I have no idea what this IP adress is all about !!
Khalid would you please explain. how to enter the Ip adress in the OnStep App ???

Sorry, for asking all these (stupid) questions ...

Thank you for all your help !
Ferris

-----Original-Nachricht-----

Datum: 2020-10-16T17:28:42+0200
Von: "andrea tasselli via groups.io" <andreatax=yahoo.com@groups.io>
An: "main@onstep.groups.io" <main@onstep.groups.io>

Ferris,

Same thing happened to me. Just go on your phone WIFI setup and chose OnStep from the list of available networks. Password is “password". After that go to the OnStep App and enter the IP address as it says just above the text field you need to fill. Press Accept and you’re done.

Andrea

Jochen.Siegfried@t-online.de

Khalid

I do not know where to put this 192.168.0.1:9999 IP Adress in ....?????

This OnSteb WiFi has no internet connection   ...... it says ...!

 I have just typed ://192.168.0.1/ in my Phones Firefox,  first there was a blank white page, then it said that, the web site is not responding ...... ??

I have no idea, what I am doing ..........

Help !!!

-----Original-Nachricht-----

Datum: 2020-10-16T20:03:17+0200

Von: "Khalid Baheyeldin" <kbahey@...>

An: "main@onstep.groups.io" <main@onstep.groups.io>

Did you adjust the Vref on the drivers to match the motors at 40%?
See the Wiki on how to do this.

When you connected the App, did you make sure you use 192.168.0.1:9999 as the address?

From a browser on your phone, what do you see when you go to http://192.168.0.1/?

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 02:26 PM, Jochen.Siegfried@... wrote:
The motors I use are Nema17, 400steps, 0.9 Amps per phase. My power supply is 12V/5Amp. So I think Vref should be 0.45 amps ??? Is this correct !
Depends on what drivers you are using. And you never want to be at the maximum.

Again, as I said, read this and follow the instructions there

https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/3862

Can I adjust Vref with the drivers and all the other module still on the board ??
Yes, but make sure you disconnect the motors before you power up again, and change Vref.

So, the OnStep App did nor connect to the board. Can I remove both motors and try again to connect to Onstep App ???? Can I split the problem. get the App to connect, then adjust Vref ???
They are two separate issues that have nothing to do with each other.
Solve one then the next. Unrelated.

I have no idea what this IP adress is all about !!
Khalid would you please explain. how to enter the Ip adress in the OnStep App ???
Please don't ask the question in repeated emails. These go to the inboxes of 1400 people ...

From the main screen, press the 3 buttons on top right, then Connection
Press on the line above the Accept button, and enter (or change) to be like this:

192.168.0.1:9999

Then press on Accept button.
It should connect in a few seconds, showing coordinates on the main screen.

Jochen.Siegfried@t-online.de

Dear OnSteppers

I cannot connect my Onstep STM32 V1.8.1 board to the OnStep App. I have bought the PCB readily soldered and the vendor said that WiFi would work and the board would have been flashed.

At the moment there are DRV 8825 drivers installed but I already have a pair of brand new LV8729 that I would like to use.

My stepper motors are Nema17, 400 steps, 0.9 Amps /phase.

My smartphone is Android 10 and I have downloaded the OnStep App from the google play store.

I also have Sky Safarie Pro on this phone too.

When I first powerd the board up it would not connect to the App an while I was trying the Dec Motor became very hot. Non of the motors was turning.

So obviously Vref was not adjusted properly by the vendor ....

So I switched off and disconnected the motors. Dec Motor was really hot !! Ra was cold - so was the Ra stepper driver !

I gave it another try with both motors disconnected and this time I checked the IP adress in the App. There was a very strange adress typed in, so I have replaced this with

192.168.0.1:9999

But the App would still not connect .... !

But there was something going on on the board though ......!

On the STM32 blue pill the little green LED was blinking and the little red one was solid on.

On the WiFi module the little ble LED was blinking.

The RTC module showed a little red LED

And the power module showed a little red LED too !

Now I am lost .... ! As I said I have no idea what the vendor has flashed onto the board nor do I know wether it was soldered properley.

But I must say, the solderuing looks good and all the modules seem to have been  put on correctly. The direction Pins do fit and as far as I can see everything looks fine !

Can someone translate the blinking LED or the LED in general. The OnStep WiFi shows on my phone but I cannot connect the App to it ...

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thank you to Andrea, Dave and Khalid who already supplied me with help and support !

Ferris

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 04:24 PM, Jochen.Siegfried@... wrote:

On the STM32 blue pill the little green LED was blinking and the little red one was solid on.

On the WiFi module the little ble LED was blinking.

The RTC module showed a little red LED

And the power module showed a little red LED too !

Now I am lost .... ! As I said I have no idea what the vendor has flashed onto the board nor do I know wether it was soldered properley.

It may be that the vendor never flashed OnStep on the Blue Pill board.
In that case, it will come with the default blink sketch which does nothing other than to blink the LED.

You need to use the spreadsheet to enter your mount's specific gear reduction, and come up with a microstepping value.
The create a Config.h file, possibly with the Online Configuration Generator, then use that to flash the Blue Pill.

Jochen.Siegfried@t-online.de

Would the fact, that the blue pil has never been flashe explain that I cannot connect the App to the WiFi ????

So, he only plashed the WiFi module and did not touch the STM32 .........

I have to try the programming ....

-----Original-Nachricht-----

Datum: 2020-10-16T22:29:34+0200

Von: "Khalid Baheyeldin" <kbahey@...>

An: "main@onstep.groups.io" <main@onstep.groups.io>

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 04:37 PM, Jochen.Siegfried@... wrote:

Would the fact, that the blue pil has never been flashe explain that I cannot connect the App to the WiFi ????

Yes.

You can confirm, or exclude, this possibility by several methods:

1. Did he ask you what the gear ratios for the mount are (pulley teeth, gear teeth)?
If he did not, then he probably never flashed it.

2. By connecting from the Arduino IDE Serial Monitor at 9600 baud and entering the command :GVP# and see if you have a response. If no response, then no OnStep on the STM32 module.

So, he only plashed the WiFi module and did not touch the STM32 .........

Easiest way is to ask him what he did.