OnStepX rotates RA only one way when connected to ASCOM

Simon Achmüller

Hi, I already reported this issue on github https://github.com/hjd1964/OnStepX/issues/24, but as Howard does not react, I want to sync with community if someone experience same issue.

Basically the problem is when controller is connected to the ASCOM driver (over serial interface in my case), the RA axis turns only one way, regardless of what commands are given to the controller. It rotates to the east, even if it should rotate west.

Even when you go to the Guide/Focus in the app, move west/east: motor rotates always in same direction, east.

Disconnect ASCOM and App works as expected.

Any experience/ideas what can be wrong?

Howard Dutton

On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 11:13 AM, Simon Achmüller wrote:
but as Howard does not react
I was waiting for a chance to duplicate your conditions more completely but my initial tests (using Sky Planetarium w/ASCOM and the Android App across built-in Bluetooth w/X running on an ESP32) showed no issues.

Howard Dutton

On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 01:31 PM, Howard Dutton wrote:
I was waiting for a chance to duplicate your conditions more completely but my initial tests
I did the check with Stellarium just now.  It too works correctly here.

Howard Dutton

While working on the X Wiki docs I tested an edge case STEPS_PER_DEGREE and noticed a guide problem.

So, I might have accidentally found and fixed this.

Simon Achmüller

Hi Howard, does that mean I should just try latest source code from the main branch?

Simon Achmüller

I just tested latest sources, behaviour is the same, turning only one way. I uploaded my config to the github issue.

Howard Dutton

On Sat, Jun 11, 2022 at 03:39 AM, Simon Achmüller wrote:
I uploaded my config to the github issue.
And I tested again using those, it's still working correctly here.

Simon Achmüller

What version of the driver are you using? My displays 3.11 in it's UI, downloaded recently from your website (http://www.stellarjourney.com/index.php?r=site/software_telescope)

Howard Dutton

On Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 01:45 PM, Simon Achmüller wrote:
What version of the driver are you using? My displays 3.11 in it's UI
Same.

Chad Gray

What debugging have you done?  Swapped drivers?  Does it follow?

Swapped wiring does it follow?

On Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 9:49 PM Howard Dutton <hjd1964@...> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 01:45 PM, Simon Achmüller wrote:
What version of the driver are you using? My displays 3.11 in it's UI
Same.

Simon Achmüller

I connected my port monitor to Serial2 and setup logging:
#define DEBUG                         VERBOSE //    OFF, Use ON for background error messages only, use VERBOSE for all           Infreq
                                          //         error and status messages, use CONSOLE for VT100 debug console,
                                          //         or use PROFILER for VT100 task profiler.
#define DEBUG_SERVO                   OFF //    OFF, n. Where n=1 to 9 as the designated axis for logging servo activity.     Option
#define DEBUG_ECHO_COMMANDS           ON //    OFF, Use ON to log command/responses to the debug serial port.                Option
#define SERIAL_DEBUG               Serial2 // Serial, Use any available h/w serial port. Serial1 or Serial2, etc.              Option
#define SERIAL_DEBUG_BAUD            115200 //

I attached logs from slewing to Vega from the App and Stellarium. Do not see any issue in the log as well, I'll validate that the issue is still there tomorrow, because now it just connected to a spare ESP32 board where I uploaded same firmware.

Discovered for myself that the ASCOM driver does not set the date and time on connect by default, and (for my hardware without time source) it seems like the OnStepX recovers time from the NV/last run, which does not seem to be correct time. So I have to pay attention to have this checkbox set.