Topics

PEC Transfer Format

Julian Bauknecht

Hey, after trying for days i cant find a way to transfer PEC files from PECPrep to the OneStep. Could anyone give me a hint how the .csv file hast to look that Sky Planetarium expects and how its synced to the Mount without a Sensor?
regards and tyvm

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 06:35 PM, Julian Bauknecht wrote:
how its synced to the Mount without a Sensor?
I can answer that part only.
OnStep either starts the index from a hardware sensor, or by saving where in the PEC
curve it is when the mount was Parked the last time. This requires that you unpark
the mount the next time, and OnStep will know where it is.

If you do a Return Home or Home Reset, or power off the mount without parking,
the position in the index will be lost. Therefore a hardware sensor is better.

Julian Bauknecht

Ah ok, tyvm, but that would only work if i record the curve with the OneStep Controller itself, because then the curve is automaticly synced.That still leaves the problem how the Controller knows on which point on the curve it is at startup if the curve was imported via SkyPlanetarium.

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 07:55 PM, Julian Bauknecht wrote:
would only work if i record the curve with the OneStep Controller itself,
Yes. And that is not difficult. Just start autoguiding and record 5 times or so.

because then the curve is automaticly synced.That still leaves the problem how the Controller knows on which point on the curve it is at startup if the curve was imported via SkyPlanetarium.
It knows in one of two ways:
- if you park at every end of session, and unpark at the start of a new session
- if you have a hardware sensor (e.g. a Hall effect sensor + magnet)

I don't use SkyPlanetarium, so Howard has to answer that part.

Howard Dutton

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 04:55 PM, Julian Bauknecht wrote:
but that would only work if i record the curve with the OneStep Controller itself, because then the curve is automaticly synced.
No it still works fine just watch where the index is in SP and start the PHD2 recording session (no guiding just logging) right as the "virtual" index repeats.  As mentioned you must religiously use parking.

Quite frankly I wouldn't go to the trouble of an all-out effort like this without a real index sensor.  I'm just too chicken something would happen and I'd loose the index.  Just takes one slip-up or "event".  Hitting the mount or far out of balance (depending on how over-spec'd the drive is) or power trouble.

Howard Dutton

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 03:35 PM, Julian Bauknecht wrote:
i cant find a way to transfer PEC files from PECPrep to the OneStep.
Easy...

In PECPrep get your data via PHD2 log file import.  You can also use Sky Planetarium to export from OnStep's buffer into a K3CCD format file which can then be imported into PECPrep.  I use PHD2 logging since that's more accurate (raw data is always better.)

For a PHD2 log file:  Import with PECPrep, process as you see fit, select File->Save_EQMOD_Pec_File.

Sky Planetarium can import the resulting .txt file.  Be sure to select .txt format to see the exported file when importing into SP.

Julian Bauknecht

ah ok tyvm, so the trick that i missed is to start phd while the index passes zero. I am familiar with the process of recording PEC Data with PHD and processing it for eqmod. but eqmod uses a special timestamp and i didnt know how to sync it without it.
Yeah, i will install an Index sensor later, i think i glue a magnet in the gear that drives the Worm but i have to whait until after the acutall CoVid19 Sitaution because i dont have acess to the milling machine for modifing the Worm Casing of my old EQ6 atm, so i wanted to try it without a Sensor for the Moment.

Julian Bauknecht

perfect, i am already at the state where i have the EQMOD_PEC_FILE, i just missed that SP can read that file directly, since SP searches for .csv files if you dont change it, thats what i missed.
But even when i try to import the txt PEC_File from PECPrec nothing happens, maby the Wormperiod from the Controller and PECPrep dosnt match because SP shows the PEC Graph Box from 0 to 480 and PEC Prep generates a file from 0 to 480. I think i have to investigate more tomorrow, maby the pre programmed Period in the Instein EQ6 Board differes or something like that. I will report if i found a way.

Howard Dutton

Here's a trial run I just did:

Julian Bauknecht

tyvm, looks very good, but still dont know why it dosnt work for me. I think it has something to do with the Instein Onstep Controller, because today i tried to record a PEC File directly from the Webinterface, but PEC Status stays at: Record waiting for index to arrive for ever. I think best way is, i write Roberto from Instein directly regarding this Problem. Easiest way i would like to flash it for my self with the newest OnStep V3 then i could configer everything for my own, but i have to ask Roberto  for a Pinmap or measure it myself, because i dont think that a standard Pinmap would work with this board.