Problems Moving CGE Pro to Home

Stephen J McIntyre

I now have an operational CGE Pro and am running through some basic setup and testing. I tried to move the scope to “Home” but it just slews until it reaches a pointing limit. I tired this with the SHC and The Sky telescope controller.  I have wired the RA and Dec home switch sensors and tested that at least the signals reach the controller. I was expecting the scope to use the home sense switches to find the home position.

Am i missing something?

Mark Christensen

Stephan,

Since you've tested the switches I assume the closure is getting to the controller. So that points to software.

You need to set the #defines in the CONFIG.H correctly. First, to enable HOME. Second, to set the switch sense (HIGH or LOW).
Below is what I used on the three CGE Pros I helped my pals convert:

#define HOME_SENSE                    ON //    OFF, ON*. Automatically detect and use home switches. For GEM mode only.      Option

#define HOME_SENSE_STATE_AXIS1       HIGH //   HIGH, State when clockwise of home position, as seen from front. Rev. w/LOW.   Adjust
#define HOME_SENSE_STATE_AXIS2       HIGH //   HIGH, State when clockwise of home position, as seen from above. Rev. w/LOW.   Adjust
                                          //         Signal state reverses when travel moves ccw past the home position.

These are all located in the block labeled // SENSORS in the CONFIG.H file

Hope this helps.

Mark Christensen

Stephen J McIntyre

I think i have the config changes correct and match what you have.

I am wondering if the HOME_SENSE_STATE might be the issue. When it says "HIGH, State when clockwise of home position, as seen from front" is front standing to the north of the mount looking south?

Here are the changes to pins and config that relate to limit, home and pec:

Config.h changes
#define PINMAP                   MiniPCB2 //   OFF, Choose from: MksGenL2, MiniPCB2, MaxPCB2, MaxESP3, CNC3, STM32Blue,     <-Req'd

// USER FEEDBACK ----------------------------------- see https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/Configuration-Controller#USER_FEEDBACK
#define LED_STATUS                    OFF //     ON, Blinks w/sidereal tracking otherwise steady on indicates activity.       Option
#define LED_STATUS2                   OFF //    OFF, ON Blinks 1s interval w/PPS sync, steady for gotos, off if in standby.   Option

// SENSORS ----------------------------------------------- see https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/Configuration-Controller#SENSORS
#define HOME_SENSE                     ON //   OFF, ON*. Automatically detect and use home switches. For GEM mode only.      Option
#define HOME_SENSE_STATE_AXIS1       HIGH //   HIGH, State when clockwise of home position, as seen from front. Rev. w/LOW.   Adjust
#define HOME_SENSE_STATE_AXIS2       HIGH //   HIGH, State when clockwise of home position, as seen from above. Rev. w/LOW.   Adjust
                                          //         Signal state reverses when travel moves ccw past the home position.

#define LIMIT_SENSE                    ON //    OFF, ON* limit sense switch close to Gnd stops gotos and/or tracking.         Option
#define LIMIT_SENSE_STATE             LOW //    LOW, For NO (normally open) switches, HIGH for NC (normally closed.)          Adjust

#define PEC_SENSE                      ON //    OFF, ON*, n, sense digital OR n=0 to 1023 (0 to 3.3V or 5V) analog threshold. Option
#define PEC_SENSE_STATE              HIGH //   HIGH, Senses the PEC signal rising edge or use LOW for falling edge.           Adjust
                                          //         Ignored in ALTAZM mode.

Pins MiniPCB.h changes
--------------

// The multi-purpose pins (Aux3..Aux8 can be analog pwm/dac if supported)
#define Aux0                 19     // Status LED
#define Aux3                  4     // Limit SW, Home SW
#define Aux4                 22     // Status2 LED, Reticle LED, Home SW

// The PEC index sense is a logic level input, resets the PEC index on rising edge then waits for 60 seconds before allowing another reset
#define PecPin               23
#define AnalogPecPin         23     // PEC Sense, analog or digital

#define LimitPin           Aux0     // The limit switch sense is a logic level input normally pull high (2k resistor,) shorted to ground it stops gotos/tracking

#define Axis1_HOME         Aux3     // Sense home position (RA)
#define Axis2_HOME         Aux4     // Sense home position (Dec)

Mark Christensen

Did you modify the pullups on Aux3 and Aux4 as required? I seem to remember that at least one of these is tied to a :LED (Status1, I think).

Also, to allow both Home (RA and DEC) and LIMIT (RA) to both work I had to sacrifice the STATUS LED and then modify both the CONFIG.H and the VALIDATE.H file, which had a bug in it. All of this is Onstep 3.16 (speaking from memory) on a MiniPCB2. So the three CGE PROs and the single CGE I did with the MiniPCB2 did not have a Status light, which I find marginally usefully anyway, esp. with an IO pin-starved processor.

I'll dig back into my files to read what I did - it has been over 9 months since I had my hands on the CGE Pros that I modified for friends. I'm a G-11 man myself and operate portable. The CGE Pro is too much to move around.

Mark
PS: It can be made to work. However, it is an open question in my mind if HOME is really worth it - adjusting the microswitches to accurately place the axis aligned at the north celestial pole for purposes of initial alignment is very, very, difficult. And the SET PARK/PARK functions are more flexible and useful. But to each their own.

Stephen J McIntyre

I did add the resistor to either aux3 or aux4 as per the instructiond. This change allows the home sensor to replace a status led. Similarly, i did this to the aux0 status led so i could use it as a hard limit sense.

I agree that home sense has marginal value. I never did try to set it so it was accurate enough for alignment. It was just convenient to find home and the do an alignment. On my other mount, this is manual. I guess i included home sense since it is there.

Stephen J McIntyre

Turns out the problem was the Dec motor was going in the wrong direction. I turned on AXIS2_DRIVER_REVERSE in config.h and home sense now works and the mount now points to the correct coordinates.

The config.h settings specific to home sense then are:

#define HOME_SENSE                                 ON //    OFF, ON*. Automatically detect and use home switches.
#define HOME_SENSE_STATE_AXIS1    HIGH //   HIGH, State when clockwise of home position, as seen from front.
#define HOME_SENSE_STATE_AXIS2    HIGH //   HIGH, State when clockwise of home position, as seen from above.

#define AXIS2_DRIVER_REVERSE            ON //    OFF, ON Reverses movement direction