Topics

Question on NEQ5 RA and Dec knobs

Sebastian

Hi,
I'm preparing my parts list for a brand new OnStep build on an SW NEQ5 mount. I've been struggling with the manual knobs ever since I bought the mount, cause they just don't seem to fit. Now that I'm searching for pulleys for my OnStep build, I noticed that all pulleys are 5mm, but the knobs on the mount are 6mm, according to my caliper.
Does anyone else have this mount and can check if yours is 5 or 6mm? Are there any GT2 6mm bore pulleys out there?? Any suggestions otherwise?

Thanks in advance,
Sebastian

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 10:16 PM, Sebastian wrote:
I noticed that all pulleys are 5mm, but the knobs on the mount are 6mm, according to my caliper.
Does anyone else have this mount and can check if yours is 5 or 6mm? Are there any GT2 6mm bore pulleys out there?
My motor shaft and worm shaft have different diameters.
It is 5mm on former, and 6mm on the latter.

I had no problem finding pulleys on eBay.

Here is an example of a listing where you can select 5mm or 6mm inner diameter.

But I only needed the two to be the same size (1:1, since my motor has a gearbox).
You can do the same.
For example, use this 5.18:1 motor, and use 20T to 20T pulleys.

Joe

I needed 6mm pulleys for my Vixen GP. Looking around for GT2 pulleys I only found 5MM and 6.35MM. I just bought the 5MM and drilled them out. They’re aluminum and very easy to drill.

Bas Prins

GT2 pulleys with 6mm bore can also be found on AlieExpress.

Sebastian

I want to stick to non-gearbox motors and the transmission ratios I've already defined since they are already tested and fully working for my setup.
My initial plans were to use a 16T, 5mm bore GT2 pulley on the motor's shaft, and a 40T, 6mm bore pulley on the RA axis, but I still can't find the latter one. Even 6.35mm is unavailable for the 40T range.

I'll keep looking for metal ones, but any advise on using 3D printed pulleys??

And one other question: is it ok to use 7mm width pulleys with a 5 or 6mm belt?

Thanks!!

Charles

maybe this can help : Teenastro Kit

Charles

Gesendet: Freitag, 22. November 2019 um 04:16 Uhr
Von: "Sebastian" <bahrt@...>
An: main@onstep.groups.io
Betreff: [onstep] Question on NEQ5 RA and Dec knobs
Hi,
I'm preparing my parts list for a brand new OnStep build on an SW NEQ5 mount. I've been struggling with the manual knobs ever since I bought the mount, cause they just don't seem to fit. Now that I'm searching for pulleys for my OnStep build, I noticed that all pulleys are 5mm, but the knobs on the mount are 6mm, according to my caliper.
Does anyone else have this mount and can check if yours is 5 or 6mm? Are there any GT2 6mm bore pulleys out there?? Any suggestions otherwise?

Thanks in advance,
Sebastian

otanbeauval@...

Hello,
I have the same mount as you (NEQ5) and
I finished the motorization of the AD axis. The axis of the motor is in 5mm and the axis of the mount is in 6mm. We find them cheap on Aliexpress:

GT2 pulley 16 teeth 5mm bore (for the motor axis)
GT2 pulley 48 teeth 6mm bore (for the mount axis)
GT2 Belt (138mm long is good with Nema14 for AD axis)

16/48 teeth seem to work well with que nema 14 400 step (in 1/16 step)
I did a 1 minute picture and stars are still pretty round.

otanbeauval@...

i bad it's a nema17 and not a nema14

George Cushing

Sliding clearance fit for for a 6mm axle is 6.6mm. For that you need a "G" wire sized drill bit.

Sebastian

I was about to give up when I posted this but with all the replies I just kept looking, and finally found these ones:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IMPM44O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XC9Z4W2/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Let's see how they go, crossing my fingers. I still need to find the belts, and figure out connectors and wires, but everything else is on its way :)

Thanks everyone!!

Sebastian