R1

marorte otero

Hi, I'm working on this, https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/26762
But the problem I have is with the arduino IDE, I wanted to install the ESP32 library and when I go to install it instead of showing the download bar I get it at the bottom left
java.lang.nullpointerexception. All the best

Drew πŸ”­πŸ“·πŸš΄β€β™‚οΈ

I am having some trouble understanding your problem. It may be lost in translation. Are you unable to install the ESP32 hardware in the Arduino IDE? The Wiki is a little misleading (I have corrected it), It is not a library but is hardware installed under the "boards manager".

Here is the relevant instructions from the Wiki:

You will need to have the ESP32 firmware installed. Under the menu File->Preferences open the dialog and add this line in the "Additional "Boards Manager URL's" text box: "http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json,https://dl.espressif.com/dl/package_esp32_index.json" (no quotes). The ESP32 firmware can then be installed from the Hardware Manager in Arduino IDE. Select the "tools" tab, go down to the "Board:" selection. The "Boards manager" will be the top selection. Click it and enter "ESP32" into the search box. Install version 2.0.0 . This is very important! Later version have problems with the serial port that the Wemos uses.

marorte otero

Hello Drew, good afternoon, what happened to me is that when I downloaded the library, it usually installed as shown in the image, but when I go to download it instead of getting the blue download bar as in the image, it appears in red this that I indicate to you has continued

java.lang.nullpointerexception

Drew πŸ”­πŸ“·πŸš΄β€β™‚οΈ

That is the ESP8266 you are installing. I do not see the ESP32 there, which is the problem.

The text for preferences has gone stale. I have corrected it in the Wiki. Thank you for finding this. Hope this gets you going. The corrected line is:

http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json,https://raw.githubusercontent.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/gh-pages/package_esp32_index.json

marorte otero

hi Drew, this is what I get when I go to install the library. All the best
Icona de Validado pola comunidade

Drew πŸ”­πŸ“·πŸš΄β€β™‚οΈ

The current version shown is 1.0.5 so go ahead and install v2.0.0. You should now be able to flash the ESP32 with the SWS firmware.

Drew πŸ”­πŸ“·πŸš΄β€β™‚οΈ

I should mention that the java error is often from a bad version installation. Installing the new version should correct the problem. Be sure you have a good internet connection. Sometimes this indicates that the IDE was not able to download needed files.

Drew πŸ”­πŸ“·πŸš΄β€β™‚οΈ

Always more steps to fix an Arduino IDE issue. I remembered this from when I had the problem before. Do this after you have corrected the "Addition boards manager URL's"

to recover a working installation you must delete once again the package_index.json with the cache folder and restart the IDE as usual.

Windows:

  • remove file C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Arduino15\package_index.json
  • remove folder C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Arduino15\cache

marorte otero

Hi Drew, thank you very much for the information, right now I am in front of the computer trying to solve the problem

Ken Hunter

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 04:33 PM, Drew πŸ”­πŸ“·πŸš΄β€β™‚οΈ wrote:

My edits are BOLD...
You will need to have the ESP32 firmware installed. Under the menu File->Preferences open the dialog and add this line in the "Additional "Boards Manager URL's" text box: "http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json,https://dl.espressif.com/dl/package_esp32_index.json" (no quotes).
Then save and exit the IDE.Β Restart the IDE by clicking the .ino file which allows the following to be done.

On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 03:29 PM, Ken Hunter wrote:
Then save and exit the IDE.Β Restart the IDE by clicking the .ino file which allows the following to be done.
Thanks, that was needed.

marorte otero

Hi Drew, everything turned out great, thank you very much for all the time dedicated to my cause.
Another question I have is if the esp32 module should be connected together with the esp8266 or only the esp32 is connected?

Drew πŸ”­πŸ“·πŸš΄β€β™‚οΈ

On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 04:34 PM, marorte otero wrote:
if the esp32 module should be connected together with the esp8266 or only the esp32 is connected?
I need a little more info on your setup. Typically, for the BGC (Bluetooth GamePad Controller) the Wemos ESP8266 SWS (SmartWebServer - Wifi) is replaced by the Wemos ESP32. The same SWS firmware is used, but the BLE capability of the ESP32 is used to connect to the BGC.

marorte otero

Drew, with your last message it has become clear to me what I was asking, my doubt was that I have seen tutorial videos that the esp8266 connected with the esp32, but you have already made it clear to me in the comment, I am going to solder the sockets to the module and test it. Thank you very much for all your time spent answering me, thank you from the heart. All the best