Topics

RA Jumps

Jay Murphy

Hello, been using Onstep for a long time and love it. I think mine might've been the first CGE build documented on the forum. It's developed a weird Tick in which it jumps backwards and forwards in the RA axis. It's very regular in magnitude, but seemingly random in frequency. it's every 2 to 10 minutes and not always in the same direction at first but when it goes one direction it'll go the other direction next. Any ideas where to start troubleshooting? It's done this for me on that last few builds.

Jay Murphy

Ive noticed that its not a smooth run forwards and back either, it's discrete steps.

Jay Murphy

Another thing from last night, it was doing it frequently when I was pointed to the east, but after meridian flip and I was pointing to the west it didn't do it once.

Jay Murphy

A possible mechanical source I've thought of is a small, homogenous grit that has gotten into the grease. One goes between the teeth, pushes the RA back a little, PHD2 guides the star back to its original position, the grit passes the wheel, it falls back to its original position, and then PHD2 guides it back. I'll give everything a good cleaning and see if that fixes it.