recommended board etc.

Martin Chapman

Hi all, okay, happy with my build so far using the MKS GENL V2.0, I would like to build another for my other mount, which I would like to use just for a DSLR and lens rig, with the possibility of capturing the ISS. I have seen a few comments saying the the GENL boards are not the best, for various reasons, which board(s) are regarded as the best at the moment, and why? And what would others recommend? Has anyone else built a rig just for this purpose?
Any advice is gratefully recieved.
KR.
Mart.

The Fystec S6 was second on my list since it has a faster processor than the MKS.  I have no experience with it, but Khalid and many others do.  It looks to be a bit more complicated to program, however, the wiki on how to do it is excellent (and well supported by the users on the forum).  It’s also just a bit more expensive than the MKS.

Martin Chapman

Thanks, Otto, I will look into that.
KR.
Mart.

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 1:16 PM Otto <olpar007@...> wrote:
The Fystec S6 was second on my list since it has a faster processor than the MKS.  I have no experience with it, but Khalid and many others do.  It looks to be a bit more complicated to program, however, the wiki on how to do it is excellent (and well supported by the users on the forum).  It’s also just a bit more expensive than the MKS.

In case you had not seen the chart comparing board capability / performance / cost and build complexity.  Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Martin Chapman

Thanks again, Otto.
Mart.

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 4:25 PM Otto <olpar007@...> wrote:
In case you had not seen the chart comparing board capability / performance / cost and build complexity.  Scroll to the bottom of the page.

John Petterson

Martin,
The advantages other boards like the S6 would have would mostly show up in slewing speed. I started with MKS based OnStep and now have all FYSETC based devices,  It is faster and the programming is pretty simple.

I recently sold a Celestron 9.25" scope to someone who wanted it to capture the ISS as his other scopes were not doing that job well.  He paid to ship it to the middle east near the Suez Canal, and I have seen the pictures he took with it.  I am not sure how well a standard camera lens is going to fare with that job, it will be interesting to see.

Martin Chapman

Thanks for the info, John, the ISS thing is just an idea, something to do with the other mount, though, I could always sell it to fund more stuff, I guess.
Cheers.
Mart.