Reduction without pulleys and belts.

Jorge Oliveira

Guys,
if I don't want to use pulleys and belts, I can use those flexible couplers and connect the stepper motor directly to the axis of the RA and DEC, then as the reduction ratio is, it is 1/1, that's it.
 Then on the onstep calculator I put 1?

Jorge oliveira

Ken Hunter

The reduction is only partly to reduce the speed. More importantly it is to increase the torque of the motor to be able to drive the mount.
If you are not able to rotate the mount drive gear easily with 2 fingers, the stepper motor will not be able to move it either.

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 10:53 AM, Ken Hunter wrote:
The reduction is only partly to reduce the speed. More importantly it is to increase the torque of the motor to be able to drive the mount.
And another important reason for gear reduction is finer resolution.