RJ45 socket suitable for panel mount

Prasad

Recently, with the help of someone on this group, I was able to find the coiled cable with 8 cores and rj45 male connectors at both ends. Is there a source that sells panel mount variety female RJ45 connectors? I would like a few that I can fit on a 3D printed stepper motor housing.  My search of Digi-key and Mouser did not help.

Thanks
Prasad

Alexander Varakin

Prasad

The whole idea is to make use of the coiled cables that come ready with RJ45 male at both ends. AND, I do not want to cut the RJ45 connector on the cable.

On my first OnStep project I used military-grade connectors at one end and DIN connectors at the other end. Just copied Vixen GP motor end connectors.. The arrangement works are fine but I want to switch over to coiled cables.

Thanks
Prasad

On Monday, October 11, 2021, 07:20:14 PM EDT, Alexander Varakin <avarakin@...> wrote:

Barry

what is this "coiled cable?
is it ethernet cable? if so thats not a good idea for cables being moved with any regularity since the conductors are solid copper and will break with repeated flexing.
I was going to reply with the same suggestion Alexander offered. those are far better connectors for this application. you can get them with any number of pins.

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 8:04 PM Prasad via groups.io <ad_prasad=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
The whole idea is to make use of the coiled cables that come ready with RJ45 male at both ends. AND, I do not want to cut the RJ45 connector on the cable.

On my first OnStep project I used military-grade connectors at one end and DIN connectors at the other end. Just copied Vixen GP motor end connectors.. The arrangement works are fine but I want to switch over to coiled cables.

Thanks
Prasad

On Monday, October 11, 2021, 07:20:14 PM EDT, Alexander Varakin <avarakin@...> wrote:

Prasad

Barry

Inline image

Here is a photo of the cable. I was searching for the kind of cables used by Losmandy and I got a few of these cables. They seem to work quite well in cold weather. Somewhat like Losmandy and I put them in the freezer overnight. Next morning I found them almost as flexible as at room temperature.

As you can see they are ready with crimped connectors at both ends. I do not want to cut these connectors. Being coiled they are not cluttering. Extended length is good 4 to 5 ft.

Prasad

On Monday, October 11, 2021, 10:03:30 PM EDT, Barry <barrybeadman@...> wrote:

[...]

Alain K

Marco Lorenzi

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 11:11 AM, Prasad wrote:
Is there a source that sells panel mount variety female RJ45 connectors?
Cheap solutions are available on aliexpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000222076243.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32814557079.html
I buy most of the stuff I need on this platform and found generally the quality to be quite good and cheaper than ebay.
Marco

Marco

Prasad

Yes, this is perfect. Thanks

-Prasad

On Monday, October 11, 2021, 10:59:23 PM EDT, Alain K <kinlough.alain@...> wrote:

Prasad

This lead is also great. I have not bought anything from Aliexpress though.

-Prasad

On Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 03:27:57 AM EDT, Marco Lorenzi <lorenzi70@...> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 11:11 AM, Prasad wrote:

Is there a source that sells panel mount variety female RJ45 connectors?
Cheap solutions are available on aliexpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000222076243.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32814557079.html
I buy most of the stuff I need on this platform and found generally the quality to be quite good and cheaper than ebay.
Marco

Marco

Ken Hunter

I "Googled" RJ45 panel mount and came up with tiis link showing many

https://www.google.com/search?q=rj45+panel+mount&oq=rj45+panel+mount&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i512l4j46i512j0i512j69i61.7940j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

George Cushing

I've used 180° RJ jacks with panel tabs and epoxy for metal or styrene adhesive in plastic panels.

These 15 cent RJ-45 break out boards are great for making up the connections. With the jack, about a 50 cent solution.

I wanted to add good sized screw terminals to an OnStep R32 shield and the break outs did the trick. Just added male headers to the offset holes, a four position 0.20" screw terminal to the straight pin header and mounted the assembly in place of an RJ-45.