S6 + Dual Focuser success

Jamie Flinn

My new S6 build for EQ6 is seeing first light tonight – This is another coup for OnStep and I now have two focusers coming out of the mount and it is so much easier than to distinct drivers being used!

The OnStep APP has no issues – and thank Howard for your recent fix to the weird init NV issue – works flawlessly

Notice how one uses the INDI control panel to select your focuser – in EKO it remains the single ONSTEP LX200 – just choose your camera -

Other good stuff

  1. S6 V2.0 running TMC5160 for motors – TMC2209 for focusers
  2. Added a fan to suck any heat out of the board area but really not needed (I have a lot of fans and want to put them to use 😊)
  3. Have a bag of toggle switches coming so I can flip the BOOT 0 pins for flashing
  4. All operation is great – solving and slewing right now with no issues

In general it is a winner – Just need to figure out how to install STMCubeProgrammer on my PI so I do not have haul the laptop out to make changes on the fly

Thanks Khalid for all the help!

Sent from Mail for Windows

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 07:42 PM, Jamie Flinn wrote:
Just need to figure out how to install STMCubeProgrammer on my PI so I do not have haul the laptop out to make changes on the fly
You do not need that program.
Instead, install the package called dfu-util on the Pi (hopefully it is in the repos for the distro you are using), and use that to flash the S6.

sudo apt-get install dfu-util

Then use the command:

dfu-util -a 0 -s 0x08010000 -D $BINARY

Where $BINARY is the name to OnStep.ino.bin

Or use the bld script that is here.

Jesse Lichtenberg

Congrats! I've got my two focusers and rotator working well on the S6 now as well thanks to Howard's fix. I'm controlling them with the app as well as NINA for the time being.

And I definitely agree with Khalid on using the dfu-util program under Linux. Much, much more simple that way.

Jamie Flinn

Look at your bld script
# Installed using: sudo apt install stm32flash
STM32FLASH="stm32flash"

If I install the DFU-UTIL do I also need stm32flash seperately?

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 01:32 PM, Jamie Flinn wrote:
If I install the DFU-UTIL do I also need stm32flash seperately?
No, different boards use different firmware flashing programs.

For the S6, only dfu-util will work.
For the Blue Pill, only stm32flash will work.