Topics

SHC and Fysetc s6

Geoff Nichol

Hi , I have just changed my onstep motherboard from a MKS GEN L to a FYSETC S6. I'm  Using the latest master software  .SHC and  WiFi flashed as well.
Wow what a difference! .I can now use a stopwatch  to time GOTOs rather than an hourglass .
All now seems to work apart from the SHC
It powers up but does not connect
Config.h changes were just

 #define PINMAP                        FYSETC_S6
#define AXIS1_DRIVER_REVERSE          ON
#define AXIS2_DRIVER_REVERSE          ON
FYsetc SHC settings kept as MKS and wiring double checked..
#define ST4_INTERFACE                ON_PULLUP
#define ST4_HAND_CONTROL              ON
#define ST4_HAND_CONTROL_FOCUSER
What am I doing wrong?  Have I missed something?

P.S Thanks for all the work .Very happy to be following in the great and good's foot prints.

Dave Schwartz

Did you use a pullup resistor network?

On November 17, 2020 6:32:20 PM EST, "Geoff Nichol via groups.io" <geoff.nichol@...> wrote:
Hi , I have just changed my onstep motherboard from a MKS GEN L to a FYSETC S6. I'm  Using the latest master software  .SHC and  WiFi flashed as well.
Wow what a difference! .I can now use a stopwatch  to time GOTOs rather than an hourglass .
All now seems to work apart from the SHC
It powers up but does not connect
Config.h changes were just

 #define PINMAP                        FYSETC_S6
#define AXIS1_DRIVER_REVERSE          ON
#define AXIS2_DRIVER_REVERSE          ON
FYsetc SHC settings kept as MKS and wiring double checked..
#define ST4_INTERFACE                ON_PULLUP
#define ST4_HAND_CONTROL              ON
#define ST4_HAND_CONTROL_FOCUSER
What am I doing wrong?  Have I missed something?

P.S Thanks for all the work .Very happy to be following in the great and good's foot prints.

Geoff Nichol

hi if you mean a  pullup resistors on the sch yes. The sch was supplied to me ready assembled and has worked fine on the old MKS board running master branch and using ON_PULLUP . Re rechecked the wiring from the pin map all looks ok.?

Dave Schwartz

I meant the pullups on the controller side... the 2.2K resistor network (or discrete resistors) tying each of the 4 signal lines to 5V. All the OnStep PCBs have them and this is also how my ESP32 SHC is working with the S6.

On 2020-11-18 1:19 p.m., Geoff Nichol via groups.io wrote:
hi if you mean a  pullup resistors on the sch yes. The sch was supplied to me ready assembled and has worked fine on the old MKS board running master branch and using ON_PULLUP . Re rechecked the wiring from the pin map all looks ok.?

Geoff Nichol

Thanks for the reply,.
So if I understand you correctly a resistor network is required at each end of the cable . one in the sch and one on the S6? .

Dave Schwartz

No. The resistor networks inside the SHC are for the pushbuttons (the longer one) and the optional auxiliary (pass-through) ST4 port on the side.

The one for the signal lines is the one on the controller PCB where it will do the most good to suppress transients picked up by the cable to the SHC (which can act like an antenna to pick up noise).

On 2020-11-18 5:32 p.m., Geoff Nichol via groups.io wrote:
Thanks for the reply,.
So if I understand you correctly a resistor network is required at each end of the cable . one in the sch and one on the S6? .

Geoff Nichol

I see!. I assumed the resistor network  was all ready there. Sorry  .

Geoff Nichol

Hurrah,  resistors added SCH now working . Thanks Dave

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 03:34 PM, Geoff Nichol wrote:
resistors added SCH now working
Can you describe more how you wired all this for the S6?
Did you use a resistor network, or discrete resistors?

May prove useful for others.

Geoff Nichol

Hi, adding the resistors to the s6 looked to be quite fiddly.  I then realised that the shc has a unused molex connector . I commoned together one end off four 30 year old resistors ( that's why they are so huge ,small ones on order) .  Then half a female jumper lead soldered to each of the free ends. The molex connector even has a handy +5V connector.