Topics

SHC, usage general quastions

clive@...

Edited

Hi,
Does the smart hand controller get UTC data from the onstep ( from the settings in sky planet...) or is it a separate entry via keypad on the SHC.
clive.

Argghhhhhh typo in title. :(

The SHC gets the UTC date info. from OnStep.

OnStep can get the UTC info. from any of a number of sources: SP, Web, Android App, DS3231 RTC, DS3234 RTC, or from the SHC itself (you can set the local date/time manually on the SHC which is then sent up to OnStep and converted into an UTC using the site's UTC Offset.)

Without this ability to manually set the local date/time an OnStep+SHC wouldn't be stand-alone unless OnStep had an RTC.  But since this feature is supported any OnStep+SHC is a stand-alone goto telescope controller.

SurfaceCleanerZ

Hi,
sounds very nice.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to use a switch for different speed settings (configurable in SHC etc.)? Like the µstic and Littlef* had.

Will you support serial GPS for location and time in the future, as Charles had in its TeenAstro?
The GPS should be built in the Onstep case (MaxPCB?) not in the SHC.

Very nice work!!!

Regards,
Stefan

Howard Dutton

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 03:38 AM, SurfaceCleanerZ wrote:
Wouldn't it be a good idea to use a switch for different speed settings (configurable in SHC etc.)? Like the µstic and Littlef* had.
A double click of the center button [shift] brings up the guide rate menu.  I assume that's what you mean, it's fairly quick and easy to change.  The telescope maximum slew speed setting is in the normal menus' too though.  Could always add an option to move guide rate control to the feature keys at the bottom of the keypad.  There's still work to be done with what those feature keys [F] [f] can do (I need to allow swapping focusers, rotator control, maybe the guide rate selection.)  Thinking about it I could have the [shift] double click swap between the available options on the feature keys with the display telling you what's up.  Yea, I like that.

Will you support serial GPS for location and time in the future, as Charles had in its TeenAstro?
This is something I'll take a look at one of these days.  It shouldn't be very difficult to add the feature.

The GPS should be built in the Onstep case (MaxPCB?) not in the SHC.
YES.

Very nice work!!!
Thank you.

Charles

Hi Howard,

For the different mode on the SHC, I used in TeenAstro the following design.
If you are in a page that is related to the Telescop, along press on shift opens the menu for the Telescop settings and command.
If you are in a page that is related to the Focuser (or what ever) then a long press on shift opens the Focuser settings.
idem with double click.
in my case it is easier as I have no field rotator. so the f F button are always related to Focuser.

Charles

Klaus

Hi Guys,

if i look at the PCB i see contacts for 6 Momentary Switches. I missing the SHIFT Switch.

Klaus

Howard Dutton

Klaus

if i look at the PCB i see contacts for 6 Momentary Switches. I missing the SHIFT Switch.
who can count :-)

Klaus

I order now the SHC PCB with 7 switches :-)

Klaus

--Oz--

I have the SHC pcb v1.03, i cant find the BOM, the BOM here
https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/Smart-Hand-Controller
has a teensy processor, my board shows ESP32S.
The schematic i linked to (teensy version) does not show the pullup resistor values, anyone know them values?

Links to BOM and Schematic for ESP32S PCB v1.03, please, TIA!

Prasad