SHC with 2.42 display

Chad Gray

Hello, has anyone made a reliable SHC with the 2.42 display?  My old eyes would appreciate the larger type on it.

I created a case for it.  The display is mounted to the top of the case not to the PCB.  So any wiring can be used to connect the display to the PCB below it.

Can i wire my teensy SHC to it?  If so i will wired it up and publish the STL files so people can print it themselves.

Thanks!
Chad

Roman

Hello,

very nice! It's a cool work!

Kind regards from Austria
Roman

Am 05.09.21 um 19:26 schrieb Chad Gray:

Hello, has anyone made a reliable SHC with the 2.42 display?  My old eyes would appreciate the larger type on it.

I created a case for it.  The display is mounted to the top of the case not to the PCB.  So any wiring can be used to connect the display to the PCB below it.

Can i wire my teensy SHC to it?  If so i will wired it up and publish the STL files so people can print it themselves.

Thanks!
Chad

Ken Hunter

Hi Chad...

My NEW SHC is set up for the 2.4 inch display. It has the reset line needed but
does not have the same footprint as the V1.03 SHC since it was designed for
my off-the-shelf case. PCB is 2.2 X 4.2 inches, has pads for 2.4 OLED.
I can drop you a PCB in the mail Tuesday if you'd like to assemble it and give it
a review.

What color buttons do you like? Mix / Match no problem. Even have buttons for
the 5-way joystick.

Ken

Chad Gray

That would be awesome Ken!  Let me send you my info via a DM and we can talk.

Chad

--
I am working on a CGE Pro conversion kit to OnStep
https://chadgray.info/cge-pro-bolt-on-stepper-motor-conversion-kit/

Anybody interested in making/selling copies of the circuit board (and maybe a parts kit)?  My eyes are getting tired of the small display of my SHC, too.  Or can the older ESP32 SHC (based upon SHC PCB, V1.03 et al) be hacked to support the larger screen?

tnut55

Yes, both the Teensy and EPS32SHC can be hacked to use the larger display.  It just requires the proper config changes and to run a reset wire from the proper microcontroller pin to the reset pin on the display.

I am not interested in making a kit but in addition to the above, you would need to print a case.  In the attached photo, the all black case is my original Teensy SHC, hacked for the larger display.  The green/black case is my ESP32SHC.

In the case of the latter, I took the original v1.3 (I think) board and changed it to add the RESET trace as well as the LED Utility lamp trace.  I also flipped the ESP to mount under the board instead of on top.

While both SHC's suit me, I think they are not suitable designs to give away as is.  My case designs are difficult, modify on the fly and if I were to do this again, I would use the ESP32 and lay a new pcb very differently than what I did the first go around.

Mark

On Monday, September 6, 2021, 10:37:05 AM CDT, Richard Shagam <rnshagam@...> wrote:

Anybody interested in making/selling copies of the circuit board (and maybe a parts kit)?  My eyes are getting tired of the small display of my SHC, too.  Or can the older ESP32 SHC (based upon SHC PCB, V1.03 et al) be hacked to support the larger screen?

Chad Gray

If it is mainly a wiring change and upload new software to the computer I think this case design will work.

Like is said earlier the display sits in the top of the case.  So it does not rely on mounting to the SHC board.  You just need to run the wires up to the larger screen.

On my screen below I believe I need to remove resistor 8 to change this to SPI mode so it will work with the SHC software.

image.png

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 1:26 PM tnut55 via groups.io <tnut55=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I have an improved SHC coming online shortly that supports the 2.4 inch OLED display.
Right now sample/evaluation units are being shipped and I'm waiting on replies before
offering them for sale. Be patient.

tnut55

Oh yeah...how could I forget that.  The DIYMore display needs to be converted to I2C as it comes in SPI mode.

On Monday, September 6, 2021, 01:00:03 PM CDT, Chad Gray <rchadgray@...> wrote:

[...]

Chad...

I believe the SDA and SCL signals are I2C, not SPI.

Chad Gray

That is why I am the 3D printer guy and you guys are the hardware and software guys.  :)

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 2:20 PM Ken Hunter <kb7hunter@...> wrote:
Chad...

I believe the SDA and SCL signals are I2C, not SPI.

Ken Hunter

CHad... Your Sample PCB in the mail this afternoon. Keep notes on the mods you make
so we can post them to the Group. I'll support you with the PCB's and you can supply
the cases for those guys that want/need the 2.4 inch SHC's.

(I'll take one!)

I just found an interesting set of switches on ALI. Going to check my PCB layout to see if
I can drop this into the PCB or if I need to relocate some switches. Bob Benward gave me
a push into the EasyEDA program and that would be a trivial mod for KB7H SHC V2.0...
Much easier to make a bigger hole than to precisely locate 5 smaller ones even though
I have already done the hard work of making a drill template for individual holes.

What do you think about these? (Sorry about the long link, how to reduce?)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001594194930.html?pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22:%2212000016719168059%22,%22ship_from%22:%22CN%22%7D&gps-id=pcStoreJustForYou&scm=1007.23125.137358.0&scm_id=1007.23125.137358.0&scm-url=1007.23125.137358.0&pvid=00b67ae0-c959-4c7c-ab69-cc5bf202adff&spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.smartJustForYou_6000289670442.3

Ken

Ken Hunter

Richard...
Email me your address and I'll trade you a PCB for a review.
Ken

Chad Gray

Cool!  I did not want to step on your toes with your current hand controller boxes. Wish we met each other earlier so I knew what you were working on.

I will send you an email.
Chad

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 8:08 AM Ken Hunter <kb7hunter@...> wrote:
[...]

OH and those buttons look awesome!

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 8:41 AM Chad Gray <rchadgray@...> wrote:
[...]

Arnaud V

Hi,
I have too a 2.42 display and that look better than my shc with little screen.where Can i find a link to that pcb to try...thank you
PS: what is the led for?

Chad Gray

The LED is the Utility light to read star maps and such things.

I have not found a solid way to wire these 2.4 screens up.  Can anyone help me out?  I have two screens.  I bought them a while back.

Kens board has the reset pin now also and i have that in hand.

I have the DIYmore screen and another one i found.  See this picture.  Instruction are all over the place.  Removing resistors...it am confused.

Thanks!

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 6:21 AM Arnaud V <arno.aka.vdb@...> wrote:
Hi,
I have too a 2.42 display and that look better than my shc with little screen.where Can i find a link to that pcb to try...thank you
PS: what is the led for?

Arnaud V

Ah yes good Idea for the led.there is more pin on screen than on pcb is that right?

Chad Gray

Yes there are more but all we need for OnStep is GND, VCC, SCL SDA and RST.

There are instructions out there removing resistors and jumping pads to get the screen in the proper mode for OnStep.

That is the part that I cannot find solid information on.
Chad

See there. there is a picture of wiring screen on esp32 : https://ww.thingiverse.com/thing:4694885