Showcase: Built With OnStep

Rafael Barberá Córdoba

Ohhh. Impressive!

Best

tomofreno2000

Edited

Thank you!

Myself, I'm much more impressed with all that Howard has created with OnStep, Sky Planetarium, etc.

I added some photos of the UTA/spider/holder at CN. Also posted about checking orthogonality of the scope axes. Seems there is around 1.2 arcmin error in orthogonality.

Roman Hujer

My another conversion to OnStep this time GS-280 (old GSO) EQ mount for friends.

Roman

Khalid Baheyeldin

Great conversion, Roman, as always.

Added to the showcase.

Ant No

Very nicely made and fitted 👍

Ant👣

On 24 May 2020 20:25, "Khalid Baheyeldin" <kbahey@...> wrote:
Great conversion, Roman, as always.

Added to the showcase.

George Cushing

The GS-280 looks like a mount sold here as the Orion AstroView. Sort of an EQ-4 size.

mil-cha@...

Hi,
I decided to build OnStep controller for my SkyWatcher 20 inch dob. Waiting for parts from Ebay I am by sketching case for SHC. As soon as I will get all the parts and solder it together (and know the exact dimensions) I could post the slt files - if there will be interest

mil-cha@...

Edited

Still waiting for buttons for HC i gave Onstep First Light tonight. My Skywatcher Stargate 500 with broken original Electronic got tonight a new life. Onstep is more accurate than the original Synscan, the Stepper run more quietly. I am happy

The Board is MaxEsp3 with TMC5160's, the Config.h stepper driver section as follows:

#define AXIS1_STEPS_PER_DEGREE    56888.888 // AZ Axis 1:400 gear ratio, Stepper 0.9°(400 steps)
#define AXIS1_STEPS_PER_WORMROT      51200
#define AXIS1_DRIVER_MODEL  TMC5160_VQUIET
#define AXIS1_DRIVER_MICROSTEPS        128
#define AXIS1_DRIVER_MICROSTEPS_GOTO   OFF
#define AXIS1_DRIVER_IHOLD             OFF
#define AXIS1_DRIVER_IRUN             1000
#define AXIS1_DRIVER_IGOTO            1400
#define AXIS2_STEPS_PER_DEGREE    54179.41 // Alt Axis 1:1523,796 gear ratio, Stepper 0.9°(400 steps)
#define AXIS2_DRIVER_MODEL  TMC5160_VQUIET
#define AXIS2_DRIVER_MICROSTEPS         32
#define AXIS2_DRIVER_MICROSTEPS_GOTO   OFF
#define AXIS2_DRIVER_IHOLD             OFF
#define AXIS2_DRIVER_IRUN             1000
#define AXIS2_DRIVER_IGOTO            1400

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 07:13 PM, <mil-cha@...> wrote:
Onstep is more accurate than the original Synscan, the Stepper run more quietly.
We keep hearing this from person after person who converted to OnStep!
So thanks to Howard for his excellent work.

As for your conversion, can you please edit the message, and add the details?
Things like:

- What board did you use?
- Which drivers?
- How did you get the parameters to put in the spreadsheets?

I will add it to the Showcase page ones all this info is known.

Khalid Baheyeldin

Added to the Showcase page.

eric.remy@...

Funny, mine isn't there and the guy that bombed my build thread got the credit for it with on picture LOL.

mil-cha@...

Inclusive SHC with Illuminated Buttons. Mission accomplished

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 09:41 AM, <eric.remy@...> wrote:
Funny, mine isn't there and the guy that bombed my build thread got the credit for it with on picture LOL.
I dug up the old thread and added it to the showcase.

https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/topic/34103877

The thread is hard to follow though (too long). A final message in that thread with what you have now (motors, gear reductions, parameters, ..etc.) would be easier. If someone wants more they can flip through the thread.

tnut55

Not this thread but I noticed that when I attached a photo to a thread that had a photo already, the original photo went in crediting me.

That's not right and lesson learned.

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 11:13 AM, Khalid Baheyeldin
<kbahey@...> wrote:
On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 09:41 AM, <eric.remy@...> wrote:
Funny, mine isn't there and the guy that bombed my build thread got the credit for it with on picture LOL.
I dug up the old thread and added it to the showcase.

https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/topic/34103877

The thread is hard to follow though (too long). A final message in that thread with what you have now (motors, gear reductions, parameters, ..etc.) would be easier. If someone wants more they can flip through the thread.

mil-cha@...

Here  some pictures finished project

Butchf

Yes I'd like the files.

Kenric Ma

Hi,

This is my example of converting an old Meade fork mount to 'Goto' using OnStep.

New Zealand was in a complete lock down in April due to the COVID-19 pandemic. I found a 1985 Meade 2120 LX3 fork mount while cleaning my garage during the lock down.

The synchronous AC motor is not working anymore. Since I was stuck at home, I decided to revive it with OnStep.

I used a NEMA14 stepper motor for RA and added a 1:4 pulley chain with some 3D printer mechanical components and 3D printed carbon fibre parts.

For DEC, I used a 1:80 harmonic drive gear and a NEMA17 with 1:10 low backlash planetary gear.

The OnStep system consists of a Teensy 3.2, WEMOS D1 and LV8729 driver on a home made circuit board.

The original Meade hand controller is converted to a SHC(ESP32) with a tiny 0.96" display due to the limited space.

I tried my very best to preserve the original classic taste of the mount and I am quite pleased with the outcome.

Once again, much appreciated the effort of Howard and many others in this group for creating such a wonderful platform.

Cheers

Kenric
Auckland
New Zealand

Khalid Baheyeldin

Thanks for sharing your experience.
It is now in the show case.

George Cushing

So I should stop junking these mounts? Actually, I get about 6-8 requests for LX3 parts/repair every year. Meade also used this drive system on the MTS mount. I have one of those coming in for repair.

I've got three under the bench right now. The local observatory lost its lease and dumped its donated equipment on our club. The president showed up at my place and gave two complete LX-3 set ups. Both need recoated secondaries, which is par for the course.

The LX-5 and 6 both were DC mounts with stepper motors. Goto for these older forks always looked like a big job, so I have to commend you fro taking it on.

Kenric Ma

Thanks George.

It's a shame to scrap the mount as I have never used it. In those days you can't just buy the OTA so I bought the set and put the scope on a Takahashi NJP.

The synchronous motor is dead so either I fix it or dump it. It was done with just simple hand power tools and a 3D printer though.

Cheers

Kenric