Slo-mo handwheels on worm gear shaft

Tom M

Can anyone see an advantage/disadvantage in adding slo-mo handwheels to the worm gear shaft opposite to the stepper motor drive pulley?  In the early design stage, this would be easy to add.  Possibly in lieu of a separate hand controller?

Khalid Baheyeldin

The majority of OnStep designs are stepper motor open loop, and therefore, there is no
feedback from independent movements. In other words, if you add slo-mo directly to
the gear shaft, OnStep will lose where it is pointing, and will be inaccurate.

One way of overcoming this is to add encoders that give feedback to OnStep via the
Wemos WiFi module. However, this involves extra complexity (more wires, aligning the
encoders with the shafts, ...etc).

Tom M

Thank you Khalid.

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 5:25 PM Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:
The majority of OnStep designs are stepper motor open loop, and therefore, there is no
feedback from independent movements. In other words, if you add slo-mo directly to
the gear shaft, OnStep will lose where it is pointing, and will be inaccurate.

One way of overcoming this is to add encoders that give feedback to OnStep via the
Wemos WiFi module. However, this involves extra complexity (more wires, aligning the
encoders with the shafts, ...etc).

Tom M

Kahlid, is a power supply from a laptop suitable for powering the MINIESP3?  Its rated output is 19v at 3.5 amps.  I will be powering 2 stepper motors at 0.8 amps each.

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 01:02 PM, Tom M wrote:
is a power supply from a laptop suitable for powering the MINIESP3?  Its rated output is 19v at 3.5 amps.  I will be powering 2 stepper motors at 0.8 amps each.
I don't know specifically about the MiniESP3 (it is a custom board which someone designed). You need to check
either with the designer or the schematic for maximum current and such.

But usually, any other board can be powered from 19V, and 3.5A is usually enough for two motors (or three)
plus WiFi, plus whatever the board itself requires (which is not much anyway).

I use a laptop power supply myself which is 19V and maybe 4A. Much better than just 12V power.
Works well on a Blue Pill as well as S6.

Tom M

Thank you Khalid!  It is an  Alain Kinlough design from George Cushing.  George has already loaded a test config file.  I have studied the EASYEDA schematic and although it is detailed about the PCB inter-connections, it really doesn't show much information about the external connections, only indicating them as 1A, 1B, etc.  I am tempted to plug the controller into my PC via the micro connector on the ESPWROOM32 module to adjust the settings for my custom mount, but I am afraid of frying something. Likewise with the power supply.  I recall a warning on the Onstep.io site about flashing (adjusting settings?) without first unplugging the Onstep module from the PCB. Is this correct?  I am a newbie at this and I am not sure when/whether to insert the 3v battery..  I know it must have something to do with short term memory, possibly the config settings?    I am reading everything I can and trying to take it all in.  George has installed a jumper on the 2 pin J1 marked on the PCB.  Would this be a place where an on/off switch might be installed?  I am also having difficulties extracting the Onstep setup files on my computer which I have downloaded from Onstep.io site..  I get the following warnings when I attempt extraction:
image.png
image.png

Any advice or guidance you could give would be greatly appreciated!
Thomas

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 05:33 PM, Tom M wrote:
[...]
I know next to nothing about this board, so can't answer any of that.
Alain or George should answer here, or someone who uses the same board.

I am also having difficulties extracting the Onstep setup files on my computer which I have downloaded from Onstep.io site..  I get the following warnings when I attempt extraction:
Why is the OnStep zip file suffixed by an .exe file?
Where did you download that from? It could be a malware file.

George Cushing

I use my Ryobi ex-lantern PS set at 15V to test MiniESP3s I build. LV8729s set for 0.8A and 1.6A NEMA17s, WIFi, and SHC connected.

PwrSup.jpg

George Cushing

Alain pretty much just simplified Howard's MaxESP3 and adopted surface mount devices for the caps, resistors, RTC, etc. So you can assume what's good for the Max will work on the Mini.

George Cushing

I have posted my MiniESP3 response to Tom on my site for those who are interested.

Tom M

George,
I downloaded Arduino IDE v 1.8.16 but could not find the ESP(WeMos D1 Mini listed as an option.  Then I tried the Beta 2.0 version.  It had the Wemos D1 mini, but automatically installed version 3.0.2, not the 2.4.2 or 2.7.4 versions.  Recommendations?

Tried downloading the Onstep program from the Onstep Wiki site, but it is apparently corrupted and would not extract as I get the following error messages:
image.png
image.png

Recommendations for another source?

Lastly, I remember a warning on the Onstep wiki site that downloads to the Onstep controller SHOULD NOT be performed with the Onstep module plugged into the board.  Is this correct?

P.S.  When do you plug the 3v battery in?

Thomas

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 11:14 AM, Tom M wrote:
Tried downloading the Onstep program from the Onstep Wiki site, but it is apparently corrupted and would not extract as I get the following error messages:
I answered this in message #37109.

The proper download link is this 4.24.zip file, and definitely not an .exe file.

George Cushing

Use MaxESP3 for PINMAP.

George Cushing

The RTC battery can be inserted at any time. Except in the mailbox😨

John Petterson

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 05:15 PM, Tom M wrote:
Can anyone see an advantage/disadvantage in adding slo-mo handwheels to the worm gear shaft opposite to the stepper motor drive pulley?  In the early design stage, this would be easy to add.  Possibly in lieu of a separate hand controller?
Tom,

I know I am coming into this discussion a bit late, but there is one additional issue that Khalid did not mention that makes this choice difficult.  The stepper motors that are typically used for these mounts will resist motion, and the toothed belts won't allow it to slip so moving that scope using the handwheel with the power on will be difficult at best.  Turning OnStep off will allow those to work, but OnStep will not know where it is when it is turned on again. You would have to find some way to disconnect the motor from the mount to do that. Note that unplugging or adding a switch to the wires to the motor is dangerous (potential damage to the driver).

Some mounts (Losmandy is one example) use clutches instead of clamps to connect the mount to the drive unit so they can be moved manually by leaving the clutch slightly loose and pushing the telescope.  If you add the encoders this is a nice feature.  But I do not know of any easy way to add a slow motion handwheel to this linkage to be used while the OnStep is in use.

John

[...]

Having said all that - if you want them to be able to use when you are not using the OnStep, that is certainly a reasonable idea.  I did it on one Altazm mount and they work nicely to let me follow targets on nights I just want a quick look at something.

John

Tom M

George,

1)  Having some problems downloading Arduino IDE.  Which version should I use 1.8.16 or 2.0 Beta?

2)  Is it ok to use the Web Editor?

3)  When I plug in the MiniESP3 into my computer via the USB cable, my PC goes wonky, no mouse, no control, and I must manually shut it down and restart to get my PC back.  Is this normal?

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 11:42 AM George Cushing <stm32bluepill@...> wrote:
Use MaxESP3 for PINMAP.

Tom M

George,

I have installed the following packages from the Arduino site to the MiniESP3.  I believe they are correct, but apparently, no board has been selected as no compilation has taken place.  I would have thought the installation of these packages contained the board information.  I get: Compilation error no FQBN Provided.  The options for boards are in a drop-down menu only.  Some sound similar like WeMos D1 R1, Generic ESP8266 Module, Arduino, etc. but I don't want to choose the wrong one. Can I get some help here?

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 5:19 PM Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 11:14 AM, Tom M wrote:
Tried downloading the Onstep program from the Onstep Wiki site, but it is apparently corrupted and would not extract as I get the following error messages:
I answered this in message #37109.

The proper download link is this 4.24.zip file, and definitely not an .exe file.

Tom M

ESP32S is not listed