Topics

Smart Hand Controller - SHM - ESP32 - New 3D Case

Rockmover

As per my AP1200 post…I am "still" waiting for my 5 way button to arrive.....

Meanwhile however I printed Khalid/Schwartz 3D case for my SHC. First, I “really” like this board and how unbelievably simple this SHC project is! Hats off you guys for all your hard work. For anyone thinking about a SHC, it’s a simple and great upgrade to your mount.  Personally, I rarely even use a hand controller, but I wanted one for the AP 1200 mount…just because.

However, I am not sure how the 3D case that Khalid has would fit with the 6 pin connector on the bottom?  It seems way too small (I had to manually cut out the bottom of my 3D print for it to fit, see images below), or perhaps I ordered the wrong connector? Also, I understand why the front bezel was used, but to be honest I didn’t like the looks of it, or how close it was to the top button.  I also was not a fan of the round buttons, or the boxy look overall.  I do see there were a number of other cases, but none for the ESP32, I quickly started to wonder if I was using the wrong one or selected the wrong board. But as I have a couple of these boards now built and up and running there was no turning back.  Plus, I still wasn’t a huge fan of any of the layout I saw.  Certainty RomanHujer also has done some great work, and I liked his case the best (but it’s not for the ESP…or at least not from what I understand)?

So this last Saturday I set out to design a new one.  It's been cloudy here, so I figured I might as well get this OnStep project done (if I ever get that 5 way button).

My main objective was to have a flat front face.  I got something laid out that used a nice recessed cutout for the video screen.  I got everything to fit and the buttons working yesterday. Then I did some smoothing and tweaking last night and I think the end product looks pretty good.  I printed it off last night, and literally just printed the first new circle shaped button this morning. It fits good, but needs to be about 0.5 mm smaller to give a little bit more play.

Once I get my 5 way button I will finish this all up, and post it to ThingVerse. I will also make up a little video for YouTube on the whole SHC process. I think that is something that’s missing and it would have helped me with a lot of little things during this process.

Anyways, comments and suggestion welcome as this is all still in the design process….

Mike Wagner

I like this quite a bit. I built the Teensy based SHC, and I also had trouble with the way the case was designed, I had to tweak it quite a bit for a good fit. It does not have the connector at the borrom though you crimp on a cable and let it come out of the case. Another gent on here is working on a new board for that :)

Do your buttons snap on ti the switches? I ended up getting the normal hand control buttons and should have just printed some.

I was also thinking about moving the LED lamp from the bottom to the top, and giving some extra clearance around the buttons to allow them to glow, or have a red outline so oyu could see them better in the dark. I have some clear PLA - might work well for this even if it looks weird. Maybe I could print a clear inside to the buttons.

Also - not related but I really thought your belt mod for the G11 was clever, nice job!

Mike

Rockmover

Now that you mention it, I think I have some clear PLA around here as well.  I like that idea.

As to the LED, l don't have one on the ESP32 board, maybe that is only a Teensy feature?

Dave Schwartz

It is part of the SHC software on the ESP32, it just was not integrated in the PCB. It is easy to add... all you do is connect one side of the LED to a GND somewhere through a 470ohm resistor and the other side to GPIO13. I've done it on all mine and many that I have shipped out assembled.

On 2020-09-15 8:22 p.m., Rockmover wrote:
Now that you mention it, I think I have some clear PLA around here as well.  I like that idea.

As to the LED, l don't have one on the ESP32 board, maybe that is only a Teensy feature?

Alain K

Very nice job! I like it.

BTW, witch software have you use for your design?

Can we have access to your source ?

Alain.

Khalid Baheyeldin

Very good case design.
Hopefully, it is more ergonomic in actual use.

By the way, Dave Schwartz is the designer for the PCB and the case. What I did was port the firmware to the ESP32, and later created more accurate catalogs for it.

One thing of note: ever since Dave modified the center switch to be a joystick, I have never used the N, S, E, W keys, and even removed them from my SHC altogether. You push the center button up for N, down for S, and so on, and never remove your thumb from the center button unless you are pressing on the bottom two buttons. Very convenient ...

Rockmover

Final case design is getting there...

Everything is fitting together very nicely, now I am just playing a little with tolerances so it hopefully works for a range of 3D printers and minor construction errors for misalignment of the button when soldering the boards.  I may just post a few different versions of the buttons (tight button fit, loose fit, etc).  I am now printing the "final" board (LMAO) and then I will make up a video and wrap this up.

Rockmover

Finished up my second hand controller.

Here is a video to hopefully help out anyone getting started.
https://youtu.be/lwllMUxapzQ

Clearly instructions for flashing the ESP are on the SHC main page, but at least this give a bit of an overview for someone new but interested in making on of these.  At least I think I would have found this very useful a few weeks ago...

A couple final questions/comments on the ESP v1.03 board:

1. I actually never realized the 5way switch was optional.  Only after I got it installed and was able to enter the menu options did I look at the traces on the board and the lightbulb came on in my brain... However, in the end I actually didn't like the feel of it, so I took it out and put in a regular tactile switch.  I can see some people liking it, and I am going to put one on my 3rd controller, just to play with a little more.  But, for now my 3D case design is only for the tactile center switch.

2. On that topic, the 5 way schematic shows PIN 1 as the ground, but that is labeled pin 4 on the board.  Also the number order is incorrect on the board.  See the attached image below.

3. The tactile switches on EasEDA are linked to surface mount switches.  Are these the only ones available?  I am not an electrical guru, so I am sure someone else knows what/how to search for the right one in a heartbeat.  If through pin switches are available, please update the link for others so they can order the right ones.

4. There is an extra hole on the v1.03 board on the top capacitor.  Not sure why its there but it is confusing and just one more spot for errors.

Dave Schwartz

On 2020-09-18 1:09 a.m., Rockmover wrote:
[...]

Its not optional - you need a switch there to access the menus when you press it down. If you don't want the directional function, you could substitute a single action switch but it would take some wiring as single action switches are not pin compatible even if you could get the legs in the four corners into the holes.

2. On that topic, the 5 way schematic shows PIN 1 as the ground, but that is labeled pin 4 on the board.  Also the number order is incorrect on the board.  See the attached image below.
Corrected. The schematic symbol is now representative of the part with all the pins in the right places and labelled correctly.

3. The tactile switches on EasEDA are linked to surface mount switches.  Are these the only ones available?  I am not an electrical guru, so I am sure someone else knows what/how to search for the right one in a heartbeat.  If through pin switches are available, please update the link for others so they can order the right ones.
Corrected. Mouser (e-switch) part numbers for the through-hole single action and 5-way switches.

4. There is an extra hole on the v1.03 board on the top capacitor.  Not sure why its there but it is confusing and just one more spot for errors.
I don't see it.

Butchf

That was an interesting video, thank you for clarifying Dave

On 2020-09-18 1:09 a.m., Rockmover wrote:
[...]

Curly

The extra hole he is referring to is on the resistor array not a capacitor.

On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 at 18:41, Butchf <butchf@...> wrote:
That was an interesting video, thank you for clarifying Dave

> On Sep 18, 2020, at 10:37 AM, Dave Schwartz <Dave.Schwartz@...> wrote:

>> On 2020-09-18 1:09 a.m., Rockmover wrote:

>> Finished up my second hand controller.

>> Here is a video to hopefully help out anyone getting started.

>> https://youtu.be/lwllMUxapzQ

>> Clearly instructions for flashing the ESP are on the SHC main page, but at least this give a bit of an overview for someone new but interested in making on of these.  At least I think I would have found this very useful a few weeks ago...

>> A couple final questions/comments on the ESP v1.03 board:

>> 1. I actually never realized the 5way switch was optional.  Only after I got it installed and was able to enter the menu options did I look at the traces on the board and the lightbulb came on in my brain... However, in the end I actually didn't like the feel of it, so I took it out and put in a regular tactile switch.  I can see some people liking it, and I am going to put one on my 3rd controller, just to play with a little more.  But, for now my 3D case design is only for the tactile center switch.

> Its not optional - you need a switch there to access the menus when you press it down. If you don't want the directional function, you could substitute a single action switch but it would take some wiring as single action switches are not pin compatible even if you could get the legs in the four corners into the holes.

>> 2. On that topic, the 5 way schematic shows PIN 1 as the ground, but that is labeled pin 4 on the board.  Also the number order is incorrect on the board.  See the attached image below.

> Corrected. The schematic symbol is now representative of the part with all the pins in the right places and labelled correctly.

>> 3. The tactile switches on EasEDA are linked to surface mount switches.  Are these the only ones available?  I am not an electrical guru, so I am sure someone else knows what/how to search for the right one in a heartbeat.  If through pin switches are available, please update the link for others so they can order the right ones.

> Corrected. Mouser (e-switch) part numbers for the through-hole single action and 5-way switches.

>> 4. There is an extra hole on the v1.03 board on the top capacitor.  Not sure why its there but it is confusing and just one more spot for errors.

> I don't see it.

Dave Schwartz

That one is there because while the SHC only NEEDS a 7-resistor network array (8-pins) to provide the pullups for the switches, it will accommodate an 8-resistor (9-pin) part because when I was ordering in bulk from eBay I found that the 9-pin part was more easily available and less expensive.

<Dave.Schwartz@... <mailto:Dave.Schwartz@...>>
wrote:

>> On 2020-09-18 1:09 a.m., Rockmover wrote:

>> Finished up my second hand controller.

>> Here is a video to hopefully help out anyone getting started.

>> https://youtu.be/lwllMUxapzQ

>> Clearly instructions for flashing the ESP are on the SHC main
page, but at least this give a bit of an overview for someone new
but interested in making on of these.  At least I think I would
have found this very useful a few weeks ago...

>> A couple final questions/comments on the ESP v1.03 board:

>> 1. I actually never realized the 5way switch was optional.
Only after I got it installed and was able to enter the menu
options did I look at the traces on the board and the lightbulb
came on in my brain... However, in the end I actually didn't like
the feel of it, so I took it out and put in a regular tactile
switch.  I can see some people liking it, and I am going to put
one on my 3rd controller, just to play with a little more.  But,
for now my 3D case design is only for the tactile center switch.

> Its not optional - you need a switch there to access the menus
when you press it down. If you don't want the directional
function, you could substitute a single action switch but it would
take some wiring as single action switches are not pin compatible
even if you could get the legs in the four corners into the holes.

>> 2. On that topic, the 5 way schematic shows PIN 1 as the
ground, but that is labeled pin 4 on the board.  Also the number
order is incorrect on the board.  See the attached image below.

> Corrected. The schematic symbol is now representative of the
part with all the pins in the right places and labelled correctly.

>> 3. The tactile switches on EasEDA are linked to surface mount
switches.  Are these the only ones available? I am not an
electrical guru, so I am sure someone else knows what/how to
search for the right one in a heartbeat.  If through pin switches
are available, please update the link for others so they can order
the right ones.

> Corrected. Mouser (e-switch) part numbers for the through-hole
single action and 5-way switches.

>> 4. There is an extra hole on the v1.03 board on the top
capacitor.  Not sure why its there but it is confusing and just
one more spot for errors.

> I don't see it.

Rockmover

Yes, sorry resistor banks, not capacitors (I make this mistake in the video as well)!

As for the middle button, yes you obviously need it to get the menus, but I just used the same surface mounted ones I had.  I also only soldered one side as that is all that is needed. One issue however is that switch was then a little offset, so the hole for the middle menu button I needed to offset, and I made a lot bigger.  I was planning on just posting this modified one as well to Thingverse.

Thanks for updating the correct switch. I haven't check the link yet, but certainly have the right ones will make soldering these boards so much easier for anyone else.  It will also make the tolerance much better for anyone 3D printing the cases.

Bottom line is this is a super easy little project, and all the work that the TeenAsto guys did on this is amazing.

Rockmover

One last final note I'll mention on 3D printing is to set your "Wall Line Count" to something high like 50 for the buttons.  That way you get the cool spiral pattern on them (rather than the typical boarder and slanted infilling).

"Guilherme Vênere

Hello

I finally got all the parts to assemble my ESP32 based SHC and I like the design of your case a lot. Any chance this is available on Thingiverse yet, or can you share the STL?

Guilherme