Topics

Stepper motor housing for Vixen GP

John Scherer

I've uploaded a re-modeled stepper motor enclosure for the Vixen GP mount to Thingiverse.  My problem is that I don't own that mount,   Its one I designed for a new member here, Joe.  I'd love others here with one, to give it a try if you can, and let me know of any issues.  It's based on the mount Geoff has on Thingiverse, just with thicker walls.  Joe, I'll be seinding yours on on Monday!

Khalid Baheyeldin

One concern here is that it is totally enclosed, and therefore heat dissipation can be an issue, depending on the motor specs, and what Vref is set at.

Prasad

That is also my experience. I did my OnStep to my GP mount two years ago and I left the NEMA 17 motors open. I have seen noticeable temp rise on motors. Both my motors are APM brand Japan made, not China and so, I believe they are quite efficient. Enclosing may not be the best plan. Of course, my experience may not apply to better motors.

Recently with new TMC2130 drivers they run super silent. Very happy.

Prasad
Eastern PA

On Thursday, November 28, 2019, 11:51:37 AM EST, Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:

One concern here is that it is totally enclosed, and therefore heat dissipation can be an issue, depending on the motor specs, and what Vref is set at.

Joe

Thanks John! Thanks for all the time and effort you spent helping me out, they look great! It’s really encouraging how kind and helpful everyone has been. I’ll be sure to send assembled photos so you can update the Thingiverse, I’ll also let you know about the performance.
The motors are .9A, not sure where they are made. I’m using the 8729 steppers @ .8A, but also have a set of 2130s I’m not planning on using at the moment. Late last couple nights I used it quite a bit and the motors really barely got warm, also my slew rates are currently on the slow side. I’ll keep a close on on the temps, I do have a heat gun. At what temp do you see heat as an issue?

Also thanks Khalid!, on day #2 your advice about only using the web page to select 3 star alignment only went well. I used to do some web design, perhaps a style sheet can be added to format the size of that page for different devices?  I was able to skew to stars from both east and west with a 24mm EP. I think I have a little slop in the mount that can be tuned out and the brackets John made will help the slack I have in the drive system, no way to adjust tension with the way it is now. The upper DEC on The GP bracket that John redesigned has a slot that fits square into the mount and can be adjusted. I’m not sure about how much tension is needed on the belts. Some more of my issues may be caused from belt drives that aren’t really that square.. Any tips for performance would be appreciated! This whole process has been a challenge and rewarding.  I’m enjoying it!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

John Scherer

I’ll add a second design to the Thingiverse files, o e where the sides of the motor are cutout, to reduce heat

John Scherer

I updated the Thingiverse design to include a design with 2 of the 4 sides opened up.  Should be enough but I'm no expert.  If anyone has ideas, let me know.

Joe

Edited

Inline image

John, this is a new machine with default settings... I bought the ender 3. Any ideas? It’s Just string that doesn’t stick. I have the temp up, bed temperature up and 10% fan?

On Friday, November 29, 2019, 1:35 AM, John Scherer <jrsphoto@...> wrote:

I updated the Thingiverse design to include a design with 2 of the 4 sides opened up.  Should be enough but I'm no expert.  If anyone has ideas, let me know.

Hi Joe,
Bit hard to tell from that photo what the problem is.
First thing to do, if you're happy that the temperatures are OK, is to make sure that the bed is level and the Z-axis height is correct.
I use this simple model from Thingiverse  It will show problems with both z-axis height and bed level.

[I have an Ender 5]

Dave Schwartz

What material are you using?

On 2019-12-02 12:44 a.m., Joe via Groups.Io wrote:

John, this is a new machine with default settings... I bought the ender 3. Any ideas? It’s Just string that doesn’t stick. I have the temp up, bed temperature up and 10% fan?

On Friday, November 29, 2019, 1:35 AM, John Scherer <jrsphoto@...> wrote:

I updated the Thingiverse design to include a design with 2 of the
4 sides opened up.  Should be enough but I'm no expert.  If anyone
has ideas, let me know.

tnut55

I have the Ender3 as well.  Not sure what print bed matl you are using, I use glass vs their stock mat.

Have you checked the bed height vs z height at 0, i.e. place a piece of white paper between the bed and nozzle to make sure you only have a paper's thickness separation and some resistance trying to pull the paper?

Also, I use hair spray on my bed and that helps.  Some people use stick glue.  Youtube will have lots of help videos on bed adhesion problems.

Joe

I think I see the problem. I initially leveled it by checking all 4 corners. But watching a test print the center of the print surface is too high.
I don’t, however see a place to change the z axis to a negative number. I can’t seem to find the baby steps menu...

tnut55

Ender 3 firmware will not let you move a negative Z distance without disabling the soft end stops first.  Before I got into that, I would use the leveling screws to lower the entire bed so the center passes the paper test with z at home height and then work out from there to see how the bed levels.

I know the bed on my ender 3 is somewhat concave.