Topics

Stepper motor settings

chris jones

Hi Everyone
I have just purchased my onstep from Einstein.Au, the build quality is great ,everything seems to be working.
The problem I am having is the mount seems to be going in the right direction but is not traveling the correct distance.
I am new to all this and i am not sure what is wrong , i think that the stepper motor settings are not correct.
The mount is a EQ5 with the original stepper motors ,there is no  information on the motors.
When I ordered my onstep I was asked to send photos of the motors and gears and sent what information I had about the motors from the manual.
Motor type and resolution : Microstep driven 1.8 stepper motors.
I have tried to contact Einstein au but not getting any reply's
any help with this problem would be awesome
Thanks chris

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 07:06 AM, <chriskesteral@...> wrote:
The problem I am having is the mount seems to be going in the right direction but is not traveling the correct distance.
Instein uses a modified OnStep on a custom board, with a custom pinmap.
Their changes are not part of the normal OnStep.

So the rest of the community cannot really help with this.
You need to contact Instein and explain to them what happens. Maybe they will send you a new binary file.

Having said that, the problem may be a mismatch between the gear ratios or microstepping on the mount, and what
the parameters are in the configuration.

Maybe someone who does use Instein can help you with this? I don't know.

"Guilherme Vênere

Hi

If you mean "Instein.EU" (just confirming) then i think i can help. I have their latest source code from september and uploaded it to my Github, so you may grab a copy and use it to reflash your box. Repository is here:

Once you download and unpack it, rename the folder to OnStep, and read the important information regarding the custom Instein code in a comment in OnStep.ino (https://github.com/intel0ut/OnStep-Instein/blob/master/OnStep.ino)

You will need to install some libraries and change some pin config in the HardwareSerial library (this is one reason the master code won't work for Instein) and define the mount you're using here:

#define Mount_G8 // <--- HERE MUST BE DEFINED ONLY SINGLE MAIN FIRMWARE TO UPLOAD FROM THE OPTIONS BELOW (Case sensitive)

After that you need to change the config.h for your mount (i guess Config.EQ5.h in your case) to match the motors you have. I believe the values he used are the default for the mount but it's better to double check. Another issue I had with mine was that I ordered my box right before he changed the stepper drivers from TMC2130 to TMC5160, so i had to change that in the config too, but in your case that may be correct already.

You don't need to use the Online config Generator as described in the OnStep Wiki, but i think you do need to use the XLS to calculate the stepper parameters, just to confirm they match the ones in the EQ5 config

Let me know how it goes

Guilherme

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 7:49 AM Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 07:06 AM, <chriskesteral@...> wrote:
The problem I am having is the mount seems to be going in the right direction but is not traveling the correct distance.
Instein uses a modified OnStep on a custom board, with a custom pinmap.
Their changes are not part of the normal OnStep.

So the rest of the community cannot really help with this.
You need to contact Instein and explain to them what happens. Maybe they will send you a new binary file.

Having said that, the problem may be a mismatch between the gear ratios or microstepping on the mount, and what
the parameters are in the configuration.

Maybe someone who does use Instein can help you with this? I don't know.

W Maxwell

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 04:06 AM, <chriskesteral@...> wrote:
Hi Everyone
I have just purchased my onstep from Einstein.Au, the build quality is great ,everything seems to be working.
Chris,

Sorry, but I really need to clarify. You had contact with Instein and you have received the product? The product you ordered was NOT for a Losmandy, but required a "customized" built not listed on the Instein website? And I guess now you are not getting a response?

If all this is correct, may I ask when you ordered it and when you received it?  Are you in the US, Europe, or?

chris jones

Yes
i was in contact with him 2 months ago and he was really helpful , the box arrived 34 days later , but i have been trying to contact him for 2 weeks ,no joy.
Thank you to all who are trying to help , will need to do so reading before trying anything , completely new to this and i do not what to make it worse.
chris

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 11:35 AM W Maxwell via groups.io <williambass5=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 04:06 AM, <chriskesteral@...> wrote:
Hi Everyone
I have just purchased my onstep from Einstein.Au, the build quality is great ,everything seems to be working.
Chris,

Sorry, but I really need to clarify. You had contact with Instein and you have received the product? The product you ordered was NOT for a Losmandy, but required a "customized" built not listed on the Instein website? And I guess now you are not getting a response?

If all this is correct, may I ask when you ordered it and when you received it?  Are you in the US, Europe, or?

chris jones

Hi sorry I am in NewZealand , He did not have the parts for the EQ5 upgrade ,so to get my mount going he set the box  up to run with the original steppers on my mount ,He also made me two connections so that i could plug them into my motors which was good of him, it did take a long time to arrive 34 days ,i received the tracking number about two days after he posted the parcel ,it did not update until it reached nz.
I now think i should have waited and got the full upgrade.
chris

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 3:45 PM chris jones via groups.io <chriskesteral=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Hi Chris

Even with the original motors it should be possible to configure OnStep to work. If your motors have reduction, you might have to find out what they are, and re-flash the OnStep firmware with the proper values. First thing you have to do is look at the parameters in this XLS (http://www.stellarjourney.com/assets/downloads/OnStep-Calculations.xls) and find out the values for your steppers. You will need:

- Step size: this is usually 200 steps per revolution or 400 steps per revolution. You can find this by looking at your stepper Id and searching online for its datasheet
- Stepper gear reduction GR1 (if any): If your stepper shaft is connected directly to the mount worm without any gear/pulleys, this will be 1, otherwise you have to find the reduction factor for your gears
- Mount wheel teeth/reduction GR2: This is usually the number of teeth in your mount wheel, and you can find it from the manufacturer

The other parameter you need is the microstep size. Since you said you recently bought the Instein box, it must be the TMC5160 (if you bought after september 6th) or TMC2130 if bought before that date. You can use 64 as microstep size. Once you get these values, you should be ready to use the online config generator (see here https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/3915) to generate a config for you.

If you don't want to mess around too much with the config, you can use the src code i put online, which is a copy of  the custom code used by Instein, located here:

You will need to edit the config.EQ5.h file with the values above from the XLS, change the define in OnStep.ino to use your mount:

#define Mount_EQ5 // <--- HERE MUST BE DEFINED ONLY SINGLE MAIN FIRMWARE TO UPLOAD FROM THE OPTIONS BELOW (Case sensitive)

and  upload the firmware using the ESP32 dev board with default parameters in Arduino IDE

Let me know if you have trouble at any step and i can help you

Guilherme

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 12:08 PM, chris jones wrote:
Hi sorry I am in NewZealand , He did not have the parts for the EQ5 upgrade ,so to get my mount going he set the box  up to run with the original steppers on my mount ,He also made me two connections so that i could plug them into my motors which was good of him, it did take a long time to arrive 34 days ,i received the tracking number about two days after he posted the parcel ,it did not update until it reached nz.
I now think i should have waited and got the full upgrade.
chris
Thank you for the info Chris. I am glad your purchase went well and you are close to getting it up and running.

I haven't gotten any type of response  of any kind after placing my order and now about 3 weeks in I'm not getting any response to cancel it.  There was no contact before I placed my order. I was wondering if you had heard anything lately since I fear my money may end up in a PayPal dispute and I wasn't sure if Instein even existed anymore.

chris jones

I have had no replies for 3 weeks, hope he is ok.
he was working on setting up the new web site and said it was taking a lot of his time , but that seems to be up and running,so not sure what is going on.
if he contacts me i will let you know .