Topics

STM32 Bluepill problem

thaiacepilot

I'm building STM32 bluepill with lastest PCB. After upload onstep 3.12 (Success) and change Boot0 to - but no green LED and can't connect via USB (onstep ASCOM) or WiFi (using Wemos D1 but after flash wifi name is ESP_DE43F1 not onstep). Any advice for this problem?

Jay Murphy

If your green led isn't on on the bluepill your firmware probably didn't flash correctly. Try to upload a sample blink sketch and see if the bluepill will run it.

thaiacepilot

Just upload blink example still not work, Is it from board issue?

Jay Murphy

Sounds like a board issue. Is your red LED coming on?

thaiacepilot

Red LED come on, Green LED come on when plug direct to PC. But when upload blink still not work (I try new USB to TTL, and using PC Direct bootloader all method shown upload success but not work).

Khalid Baheyeldin

Are you using Serial method for upload?
Are you using the USB on the CP2102?
Which blink sketch are you using? Only the one from here will work because it has the correct LED pin.

thaiacepilot

Edited

Yes I using serial and CP2102
I have try above LED blink but not work too.

Khalid Baheyeldin

If flashing of the blink sketch is successful, but the LED does not come up, then I would say the board is bad.
They are cheap though,so you can order 2 or 3 as spares.

thaiacepilot

Now for Blink example It work, But when upload Onstep not working again

thaiacepilot

Green LED should come up after flash onstep?

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 10:24 AM, thaiacepilot wrote:
Green LED should come up after flash onstep?
Yes.
What happens after flashing a sketch is that the new sketch is run.
That is true for blink, Onstep, or any other sketch.
When OnStep starts it accesses the EEPROM which is on the RTC.
If it cannot access it, then it will not turn the green LED on.

In the link I sent you earlier, there are two other sketches that tests the I2C bus, and wipe the EEPROM.
Run them and see if they work successfully or not.

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 10:21 AM, thaiacepilot wrote:
Now for Blink example It work
What did you do differently that made it work?

thaiacepilot

Just flash it

thaiacepilot

Edited

For
I2C bus serial monitor shown

I2C device found at address 0x01  !
Unknown error at address 0x02
Unknown error at address 0x03
I2C device found at address 0x04  !
I2C device found at address 0x05  !
I2C device found at address 0x06  !
I2C device found at address 0x07  !
I2C device found at address 0x08  !
I2C device found at address 0x09  !
I2C device found at address 0x0A  !
I2C device found at address 0x0B  !
I2C device found at address 0x0C  !
I2C device found at address 0x0D  !
I2C device found at address 0x0E  !
I2C device found at address 0x0F  !
I2C device found at address 0x10  !
I2C device found at address 0x11  !
I2C device found at address 0x12  !
I2C device found at address 0x13  !
I2C device found at address 0x14  !
I2C device found at address 0x15  !
I2C device found at address 0x16  !
I2C device found at address 0x17  !
I2C device found at address 0x18  !
I2C device found at address 0x19  !
I2C device found at address 0x1A  !
I2C device found at address 0x1B  !
I2C device found at address 0x1C  !
I2C device found at address 0x1D  !
I2C device found at address 0x1E  !
I2C device found at address 0x1F  !
I2C device found at address 0x20  !
I2C device found at address 0x21  !
I2C device found at address 0x22  !
I2C device found at address 0x23  !
I2C device found at address 0x24  !
I2C device found at address 0x25  !
I2C device found at address 0x26  !
I2C device found at address 0x27  !
I2C device found at address 0x28  !
I2C device found at address 0x29  !
I2C device found at address 0x2A  !
I2C device found at address 0x2B  !
I2C device found at address 0x2C  !
I2C device found at address 0x2D  !
I2C device found at address 0x2E  !
I2C device found at address 0x2F  !
I2C device found at address 0x30  !
I2C device found at address 0x31  !
I2C device found at address 0x32  !
I2C device found at address 0x33  !
I2C device found at address 0x34  !
I2C device found at address 0x35  !
I2C device found at address 0x36  !
I2C device found at address 0x37  !
I2C device found at address 0x38  !
I2C device found at address 0x39  !
I2C device found at address 0x3A  !
I2C device found at address 0x3B  !
I2C device found at address 0x3C  !
I2C device found at address 0x3D  !
I2C device found at address 0x3E  !
I2C device found at address 0x3F  !
I2C device found at address 0x40  !
I2C device found at address 0x41  !
I2C device found at address 0x42  !
I2C device found at address 0x43  !
I2C device found at address 0x44  !
I2C device found at address 0x45  !
I2C device found at address 0x46  !
I2C device found at address 0x47  !
I2C device found at address 0x48  !
I2C device found at address 0x49  !
I2C device found at address 0x4A  !
I2C device found at address 0x4B  !
I2C device found at address 0x4C  !
I2C device found at address 0x4D  !
I2C device found at address 0x4E  !
I2C device found at address 0x4F  !
I2C device found at address 0x50  !
I2C device found at address 0x51  !
I2C device found at address 0x52  !
I2C device found at address 0x53  !
I2C device found at address 0x54  !
I2C device found at address 0x55  !
I2C device found at address 0x56  !
I2C device found at address 0x57  !
I2C device found at address 0x58  !
I2C device found at address 0x59  !
I2C device found at address 0x5A  !
I2C device found at address 0x5B  !
I2C device found at address 0x5C  !
I2C device found at address 0x5D  !
I2C device found at address 0x5E  !
I2C device found at address 0x5F  !
I2C device found at address 0x60  !
I2C device found at address 0x61  !
I2C device found at address 0x62  !
I2C device found at address 0x63  !
I2C device found at address 0x64  !
I2C device found at address 0x65  !
I2C device found at address 0x66  !
I2C device found at address 0x67  !
I2C device found at address 0x68  !
I2C device found at address 0x69  !
I2C device found at address 0x6A  !
I2C device found at address 0x6B  !
I2C device found at address 0x6C  !
I2C device found at address 0x6D  !
I2C device found at address 0x6E  !
I2C device found at address 0x6F  !
Unknown error at address 0x70
Unknown error at address 0x71
Unknown error at address 0x72
I2C device found at address 0x73  !
I2C device found at address 0x74  !
I2C device found at address 0x75  !
I2C device found at address 0x76  !
I2C device found at address 0x77  !
I2C device found at address 0x78  !
I2C device found at address 0x79  !
I2C device found at address 0x7A  !
I2C device found at address 0x7B  !
I2C device found at address 0x7C  !
Unknown error at address 0x7D
Unknown error at address 0x7E
done

For wipe EEPROM error
Error probing interface "serial_w32"
stm32flash 0.4
Cannot handle device "COM4"
Failed to open port: COM4
http://stm32flash.googlecode.com/
Using Parser : Raw BINARY
processing.app.SerialException: Error opening serial port 'COM4'.
 at processing.app.Serial.<init>(Serial.java:147)
 at processing.app.Serial.<init>(Serial.java:82)
 at processing.app.SerialMonitor$2.<init>(SerialMonitor.java:130)
 at processing.app.SerialMonitor.open(SerialMonitor.java:130)
 at processing.app.AbstractMonitor.resume(AbstractMonitor.java:132)
 at processing.app.Editor.resumeOrCloseSerialMonitor(Editor.java:2107)
 at processing.app.Editor.access$1300(Editor.java:117)
 at processing.app.Editor$UploadHandler.run(Editor.java:2081)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: jssc.SerialPortException: Port name - COM4; Method name - openPort(); Exception type - Port busy.
 at jssc.SerialPort.openPort(SerialPort.java:164)
 at processing.app.Serial.<init>(Serial.java:136)
 ... 8 more

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 12:22 PM, thaiacepilot wrote:
I2C device found at address 0x6D  !
I2C device found at address 0x6E  !
I2C device found at address 0x6F  !
I2C device found at address 0x70  !
I2C device found at address 0x71  !
I2C device found at address 0x72  !
I2C device found at address 0x73  !
I2C device found at address 0x74  !
I2C device found at address 0x75  !
I2C device found at address 0x76  !
I2C device found at address 0x77  !
I2C device found at address 0x78  !
I2C device found at address 0x79  !
I2C device found at address 0x7A  !
I2C device found at address 0x7B  !
I2C device found at address 0x7C  !
I2C device found at address 0x7D  !
I2C device found at address 0x7E  !
That is wrong. But it says that the STM32 is good.

You should only see two devices, one for the EEPROM, and another for the RTC.

This means that either the module is defective, or the soldering is bad.

Check the soldering visually from the STM32 to the RTC.
Then with the power off, check continuity using a multimeter.

If the above is OK, then replace the module. They are cheap ($ ~1) from eBay/AliExpress.

thaiacepilot

I think I found problem after flash Onstep and open serial monitor it shown
NV (EEPROM) failure!#

so I'll try to replace DS3231

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 12:40 PM, thaiacepilot wrote:
I think I found problem after flash Onstep and open serial monitor it shown
NV (EEPROM) failure!#

so I'll try to replace DS3231
That will fix the problem, but only if the DS3231 is defective.
If your soldering is bad, then a new DS3231 will not work either.
So make sure the soldering is good, and continuity as well.

Having said that, we had previous reports of DS3231 being bad.
I had at least two that never worked, and the legs of the EEPROM chip were lifted and never touching the board.

Jay Murphy

Like Khalid said, make sure to test all your connectivity.

thaiacepilot

And Wemos D1 mini without main PCB wifi name is not onstep but ESP_xxxxxx is normal?

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 07:40 PM, thaiacepilot wrote:
And Wemos D1 mini without main PCB wifi name is not onstep but ESP_xxxxxx is normal?
First, you must be sure that OnStep is running on the STM32 (green LED on, can connect via USB, ...etc.)
If not, then the WeMos will fail too.

If OnStep is running but the WeMos does not work, it could be bad soldering (visually check, and power off and do multimeter continuity testing)

It can also be software versions that are to blame.
See this notice and make sure you are running the latest versions.