Topics

Sync on star in SmartHandController

thomas.westerhoff24@...
 

Hi, I have a question about the SmartHandController. Is it somehow possible to select a list of stars even in the Sync function? Our telescope at the observatory is correctly aligned and so it does not require any alignment. At the moment we still have an old FS2 as controller. Usually we release the clamp and move the telesope by hand to a bright star. Then we search for the star in the list of stars stored in FS2 and sync the telescope to it. Thats all setup we have to do at the beginning of a observation night. Unfortunately I have to enter the coordinates into the SmartHandControl somehow by other means (smartphone, planetarium program etc.). Therefore a list of stars in the Sync function of SHC would be very useful.

Dave Schwartz
 

I think you would do a GoTo to the named star and then a sync.

On 2019-12-30 2:29 a.m., thomas.westerhoff24@... wrote:
Hi, I have a question about the SmartHandController. Is it somehow possible to select a list of stars even in the Sync function? Our telescope at the observatory is correctly aligned and so it does not require any alignment. At the moment we still have an old FS2 as controller. Usually we release the clamp and move the telesope by hand to a bright star. Then we search for the star in the list of stars stored in FS2 and sync the telescope to it. Thats all setup we have to do at the beginning of a observation night. Unfortunately I have to enter the coordinates into the SmartHandControl somehow by other means (smartphone, planetarium program etc.). Therefore a list of stars in the Sync function of SHC would be very useful.

thomas.westerhoff24@...
 

Our telescope can not do a GOTO over the whole sky because in DE we have a tangential drive that only allows a few derees of free movement with the stepper motor. If we want to move to a far object then we release the clamp (as desrcirbed above), move the telescope by hand to the approximate target position (position is synced by the encoders) and the do a normal Goto for the remaining distance.

Howard Dutton
 

I will add the feature, should be trivial.

Dave Schwartz
 

Then you would unlock the axes, do a one-star alignment to your desired named star, center manually, lock the axes and accept the alignment (no sync would be necessary)

On 2019-12-30 11:18 a.m., thomas.westerhoff24@... wrote:

Our telescope can not do a GOTO over the whole sky because in DE we have a tangential drive that only allows a few derees of free movement with the stepper motor. If we want to move to a far object then we release the clamp (as desrcirbed above), move the telescope by hand to the approximate target position (position is synced by the encoders) and the do a normal Goto for the remaining distance.

Charles
 

Hi Thomas,

I implemented that feature for TeenAstro and the first version of the SHC, it is a good news that Howard add this feature now in Onstep.

Charles
Envoyé à partir d’un Smarpthone Android avec GMX Mail.
Le 30/12/2019, 17:18 thomas.westerhoff24@... a écrit:

Our telescope can not do a GOTO over the whole sky because in DE we have a tangential drive that only allows a few derees of free movement with the stepper motor. If we want to move to a far object then we release the clamp (as desrcirbed above), move the telescope by hand to the approximate target position (position is synced by the encoders) and the do a normal Goto for the remaining distance.

thomas.westerhoff24@...
 

As I see, the change is already integrated in the code. I have tested this, but unfortunately had to find out that after the Sync in the OnStep not the current coordinates, but the target coordinates are changed.
The same happens when I sync to a star in TheSkyX via ASCOM Driver. So it can't be the smart hand controller.
--
Thomas Westerhoff
Kirchheim Observatory /Germany
http://sternwarte-kirchheim.de/

Howard Dutton
 

Working properly here, really not sure what you mean.

Howard Dutton
 

I suppose if I had to guess the Sync was disallowed, target coords were set then sync was called... and failed.

thomas.westerhoff24@...
 

maybe the encoders could be the Problem? I move the telescope after switching on to the star. So it has the "actual position" given by the encoders at this moment.  When I sync, the star coordinates only will be set to target.

When I set both encoders to OFF in Wifi-Bluetooths config.h  then everything is OK and the sync works.   
--
Thomas Westerhoff
Kirchheim Observatory /Germany
http://sternwarte-kirchheim.de/
https://www.facebook.com/VolkssternwarteKirchheim/

Howard Dutton
 
Edited

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 11:16 AM, <thomas.westerhoff24@...> wrote:
maybe the encoders could be the Problem? I move the telescope after switching on to the star. So it has the "actual position" given by the encoders at this moment.  When I sync, the star coordinates only will be set to target.

When I set both encoders to OFF in Wifi-Bluetooths config.h  then everything is OK and the sync works.
I guess what's happening is the sync is accepted, OnStep coords are updated, then the encoders update OnStep and wipe it out.

This is a known limitation of the Encoder support that I've wanted to correct for a while.  Its inability to pass an OnStep Sync on to the Encoder subsystem...

I just added code to the master branch so that doing a Sync:
  • Sets a flag so the WiFi addon knows a Sync occurred.
  • Disables (automatic) updating Encoders [via that flag] -to-> OnStep until an (automatic) update of OnStep -to-> Encoders occurs [which clears the flag.]

I do not have an encoder equipped mount up and running at the moment to test, please let me know how it goes.

Howard Dutton
 
Edited

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 12:46 PM, Howard Dutton wrote:
I do not have an encoder equipped mount up and running at the moment to test, please let me know how it goes.
This has changed...

I pulled the high precision encoder off of my LXD75 mount RA axis to use in characterizing stepper motor accuracy and ended up not wanting to tear that fixture down/swap back and forth so I bought a cheap 8k count encoder for my test bed LXD75 mount.  I 3D printed the adapters and wired the encoders & motors back up today so now I have it up and running again to test the encoder support.  I still have more to do to clean up the cables and wire in the home switches again but I'm most of the way there.

I found one bug in the code I committed earlier today, a simple status code "collision" that caused all sorts of trouble.  That has been fixed and I tried several encoder interaction scenarios starting off both with an align and with only a sync.  Seems to be working fine so far.

Howard Dutton
 

After more testing I found another bug in the Encoder Sync support code.  The flag I designed in was being cleared inadvertantly so the design wouldn't work reliably.  I changed how the flag gets cleared to resolve this issue.

So use the master branch OnStep version 3.14f or later for this functionality.