Teensy 3.2 availability #mini

Wim

Hi all ,

I recently ordered a few miniPCB (version 2) to convert an EQ3-2 mount into a "travel goto mount".
It seems like I did not do my homework pretty well , because I can't find any Teensy3.2 for sale.

Does anybody know a shop which delivers to Europe mainland where I could buy some ?
Most I've found have out of stock for many months to come...

Cheers,
Wim

Howard Dutton

Yea they are pretty hard to get...

The Teensy4.0 works too with this design and is better/faster and while still not easy to come by they are in stock from the source:

https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy40.html

Wim

Thanks for the reply Howard.
I've read that the Teensy4.0 has less memory , so it can't load the catalogs ?
Is this true, because I do not want to use it without the NGC/IC and Messier catalogs.

Howard Dutton

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 01:09 AM, Wim wrote:
I've read that the Teensy4.0 has less memory , so it can't load the catalogs ?
Is this true, because I do not want to use it without the NGC/IC and Messier catalogs.
The EEPROM size is smaller, which is a downside.  It limits PEC and user catalog size.

The NGC/IC catalogs however live in the Android App and Smart Hand Controller, not in OnStep.  They also are stored in flash memory not EEPROM, and not that it matters much for OnStep the T4.0 has 8x more flash memory (2MB vs. 256KB.)

George Cushing

Why not use one of the ESP32 based SHCs? I'm told there's a complete kit available for less than the price of the Teensy 3.2/4.0.

'There are currently two versions of the SHC: one based on the Teensy 3.2 and the other on the ESP32.

The Teensy-based SHC is a wired-only device that plugs into any OnStep controller that has an ST4 port*. The ESP32-based SHC can now be used as a wired or wireless device because the ESP32 has built-in WiFi hardware which is now supported by versions of the software in the standalone code repository as of version 3 and higher. For options to power the wireless SHC (wSHC), see the 'Power' section at the end."

https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/7152

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 11:38 AM, George Cushing wrote:
Why not use one of the ESP32 based SHCs? I'm told there's a complete kit available for less than the price of the Teensy 3.2/4.0.
Ha! good one...

I've been working on this for about 2 weeks now... a much nicer SHC w/ 1.54" display more useful button positioning:

And it uses SMT assembly from EasyEDA.  This is designed to run on the ST4 cable or wireless using the specified Li battery (outline shown on back) or AA's, with the spec'd Li runtime looks to be >24 hours: