teesny 4.1 Ascom Driver Error

Peter Boreland

The connect seems to get dropped after a slew. I get this error:

"Ascom driver report an error. The I/O operation aborted becuase of either a thread exists or an application request"

This did not occur when I tested two nights ago.

Other errors also pop up. Something about not being able to transmit on the TX line..

Peter

Howard Dutton

I'd:
  • Make sure I cut the USB 5V power trace on the Teensy, see the build instructions for the MaxPCB2 it's similar in this regard.  Google "teensy 5v power trace cut".
  • Sounds like its crashing which could also be power supply related.
  • Try posting the Config.h file so we can see if it happens to us.

Peter Boreland

Howard,

Here is my config file. I've not cut any traces. I will look into this as not aware.

Peter

Chad Gray

I smoked one teensy on the first SHC I ever built a few years ago.

--
Authorized OnStep Dealer and Creator of the CGE Pro Conversion Kit
https://graydigitalarts.com/

Peter Boreland

I understand better now what you are saying. The Teesny should either get it's power from the USB or the 5V supply, but not both.

I'd be really surprised if this is the reason for the processor crash, but you guys are the pros here.

I've been up and running for several hours here, and everything is going fine. Like I said the, error appeared at the end of a slew. If noise is somehow generated at that moment in time, then yes I can that it might be power supply related.

Peter

Howard Dutton

On Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 05:29 PM, Peter Boreland wrote:
Like I said the, error appeared at the end of a slew.
What you said was more vague than that.

Howard Dutton

But at any rate it seems to be crashing and making sure the power related stuff is implemented correctly seems like a good idea to me.

I uploaded your Config.h to a MaxPCB4 here and it's been on and connected to through ASCOM since last night with the occasional slew every now and then.  No issues.

Have you checked baud rate on ASCOM side? If you mess with baud rates, what you have in Config.h you also mus have in ASCOM these are edited via profile explorer and they must match. Big missmatch will make it not work at all, small missmatch up to some 30% can make it partially work and unstable like in your case.

Howard Dutton

On Fri, Dec 2, 2022 at 03:52 AM, Vladimir wrote:
Have you checked baud rate on ASCOM side? If you mess with baud rates, what you have in Config.h you also mus have in ASCOM these are edited via profile explorer and they must match. Big missmatch will make it not work at all, small missmatch up to some 30% can make it partially work and unstable like in your case.
I saw that but in this case it doesn't matter.  Teensy's ignore the baud rate settings, on both sides.

Howard Dutton

On Fri, Dec 2, 2022 at 05:17 AM, Howard Dutton wrote:
I saw that but in this case it doesn't matter.  Teensy's ignore the baud rate settings, on both sides.
I should add... for their USB Serial interface.

Peter Boreland

Are you sure it's crashing, Howard? After ther error and the telescope disconnects I can reconnect.

The error also occurred with the telescope inactive, so it's not related slewing or anything. I make the power changes and report back.

Howard Dutton

On Fri, Dec 2, 2022 at 09:21 AM, Peter Boreland wrote:
Are you sure it's crashing, Howard? After ther error and the telescope disconnects I can reconnect.

The error also occurred with the telescope inactive, so it's not related slewing or anything. I make the power changes and report back.
I'm not sure of anything.

Howard Dutton

On Fri, Dec 2, 2022 at 09:21 AM, Peter Boreland wrote:
After ther error and the telescope disconnects I can reconnect.
How do you know that it didn't crash and boot back up again?

Howard Dutton

Heck, you could have DEBUG mode enabled on the USB/Serial port (corrupting the data stream) for all I know.

Not that you ever said that you were actually using the T4.1 USB/Serial port for the connection.

Peter Boreland

Yes, using the Teesny T4.1 usb port.

Made the power mod as suggested.
.
Run OK connected to indor  PC.

Ran OK connected to observatory PC not connected to the motors.

When connected to the motors while run a series of slews, I got this ASCOM driver error:

"Timed Out Waiting For Received Data"

followed by

"Invalid Variant Operation"

"followed by

"Telescope Disconnected"

I was able to reconnect.

Howard Dutton

On Fri, Dec 2, 2022 at 11:24 AM, Peter Boreland wrote:
Ran OK connected to observatory PC not connected to the motors.

When connected to the motors while run a series of slews, I got this ASCOM driver error:
Sounds like a hardware issue.

Howard Dutton

On Fri, Dec 2, 2022 at 11:24 AM, Peter Boreland wrote:
"Timed Out Waiting For Received Data"

followed by

"Invalid Variant Operation"

"followed by

"Telescope Disconnected"

I was able to reconnect.
After all this stuff happens where is OnStepX pointing...  at the goto destination or at the home position?

Peter Boreland

Wonder if it could be a USB connector issue. The micro USBs are the worst really.  Likely gets pulled on a bit by the scope.

Howard Dutton

On Fri, Dec 2, 2022 at 12:08 PM, Peter Boreland wrote:
The micro USBs are the worst really
At least the ones on Teensy's, and my new controller designs as well, are of higher quality than typically seen on cheap imports.

Peter Boreland

Howard, on the board I just layed out, I reversed the Teensy and ported out the USB to the rear panel.  Robert Benward, made me aware of this idea.

Type B

Type C

If my serial port problems are indeed connector based problems, then everybody will find this an issue I'm sure at some point. It's one thing working inside ion the bench, it's another outside in sub zero weather under dark skies!

Peter