Topics

TMC2130 motor/drvr fault on powerup

brent@...

Hi,
I'm fairly new to onstep and had a version working with DRV8825 drivers, it worked well, but noisily on my alt/az mount.
I replaced the DRV's with TMC2208 they where super quiet, but struggled with slews as you cannot change to spreadcycle without using UART which is unsupported byt he teensy4.0 I am using.

So I swapped out the TMC2208 with TMC2130 on a protoboard using the pinouts for the mini PCB. When I power up the TMC drivers switch on and the motors hold torque. After about 3 seconds the motors do a little jiggle back and forth for a second and then have no torque at all. if I connect via the onstep app I get a motor/drvr fault but I'm not sure what is causing this.

The chips do not seem to be warm at all.

The models I have are marked SPI and that is how I have connected them. I'm assuming that their giving some error back to onstep, but I am not sure how to see what it is any further than that fault. Any ideas?

As a second part to the situation, the Vref is very low and is only able to be adjusted up to 0.25V...which also seems a bit weird. This is on both axes.

Howard Dutton

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 12:57 PM, <brent@...> wrote:
As a second part to the situation, the Vref is very low and is only able to be adjusted up to 0.25V...which also seems a bit weird. This is on both axes.
Vref on a TMC2130 goes to 2.5V

Something is wrong, perhaps share with us the make/model

Howard Dutton

And tell us about the motor/drive design

Howard Dutton

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 12:57 PM, <brent@...> wrote:
The models I have are marked SPI and that is how I have connected them. I'm assuming that their giving some error back to onstep, but I am not sure how to see what it is any further than that fault. Any ideas?
The Wifi Addon does more elaborate error reporting, but nothing too fancy is supported... standstill, short to ground A/B, open load A/B, thermal warning, thermal shutdown.

brent@...

Edited

Hi,

thanks for the fast response. I agree the Vref seems very low. It maxes out at 0.25v and then returns to zero if I keep adjusting The units are bigtreetech v 3.0 and are marked SPI on the packaging

the motors are nema23 that I had around and they worked perfectly with DRV8825 drivers. the drive itself is a worm gear reduction onto belts.

brent@...

I am using wifi to connect. how do I get that information from it?

Howard Dutton

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 01:08 PM, <brent@...> wrote:
nema23
NEMA23 often needs fairly high current to work.  The DRV8825 is up for that, for all of its flaws lack of power handling isn't one of them.

The TMC2130 on the other hand maxes out at about 1A unless you get fancy (like my controller designs do) and provide superior heat-sinks then about 1.4A is it.  The DRV8825 can do 1.5A with no heat-sink at all and 2.2A with good cooling.  All figures are peak current, not rms.

I need more info. on the motor to comment beyond this.

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 01:14 PM, <brent@...> wrote:
I am using wifi to connect. how do I get that information from it?
Web browser pointed at 192.168.0.1

This is on standard port 80, not the command channel at 9999 or 9998

Howard Dutton

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 01:08 PM, <brent@...> wrote:
I agree the Vref seems very low. It maxes out at 0.25v a
I've worked with many a TMC2130 and never seen Vref max out at 0.25V

This screams problem to me.

Howard Dutton

Running a NEMA23 from a TMC2130 is kind of dubious too, but guess it depends on how much torque you want from it.

Howard Dutton

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 01:24 PM, Howard Dutton wrote:
Running a NEMA23 from a TMC2130 is kind of dubious too, but guess it depends on how much torque you want from it.
And on the motor design.

brent@...

  • The shaft motor is D type, which eases the use of pulleys or couplers.
  • Step Angle : 1.8deg
  • Voltage : 2.5V
  • Motor Length : 56mm
  • Rated Current : 2.8A
  • Phase Resistance : 0.9ohm
  • Phase Inductance : 2.5mH
  • Holding Torque : 126 N·cm min
  • Rotor Inertia : 300 g·cm2
  • Number of wires : 4
  • Motor Weight : 700g
  • Model Number : 23HS5628
  • Phase : 2
  • Type : Hybrid
  • Certification : ROHS,CE
  • Holding Torque : 12600
  • Step Angle Accuracy: +-5%(Full step, not load)
  • Resistance Accuracy : +-10%
  • Industance Accuracy : +-20%
  • Temperature Rise : 80° Max (Rated Current, 2 Phase on)
  • Ambient Temperature : 20deg~+50deg
  • Insulation Resisance : 100MΩ Min, 500VDC
  • Insulation Strength : 500VAC for one minute

Howard Dutton

As I assumed fairly high current at 2.8A

So you can get to about 1/4 power at Vref = 1V if this TMC2130 worked like every other one we've used.

Howard Dutton

Are you sure you have the socket design electrically correct?

Howard Dutton

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 02:34 AM, Howard Dutton wrote:
Are you sure you have the socket design electrically correct?
There are differences between what can work for a DRV8825 and what will work for a TMC2130.

brent@...

Hi Howard,

I'm checking all the socket wiring again now. I rebuilt the board entirely after using the drv8825 and wired according to the minipcb.h pinmap and the minipcb schematic. it all seems 100% so far
2 things:
if I unplug the teensy then the vref goes back to what it should be ie 2.5v so something is drawing current in a way that it should not be.

secondly if I am using SPI do I still need to connect the step and direction pins?

Howard Dutton

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 05:39 AM, <brent@...> wrote:
if I unplug the teensy then the vref goes back to what it should be ie 2.5v so something is drawing current in a way that it should not be.
Something is wrong with the wiring.

secondly if I am using SPI do I still need to connect the step and direction pins?
Yes.

brent@...

OK so I have checked the wiring and it all seems good (I've checked for shorts and the wiring seems as per schematics). I've soldered the DIR and STP pins for both TMC2130 units.

Is there is something in the config that I have wrong that is causing some pin to draw current via the teensy?

I have a blown teensy (not sure what exactly is blown but I had a floating ground on a 24v driver board that blew the MCU) it does however still give me the 3.3v out to run the TMC units, it does not cause the Vref to drop and when I power on the drivers.

Howard Dutton

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 07:36 AM, <brent@...> wrote:
Is there is something in the config that I have wrong that is causing some pin to draw current via the teensy?
I'm aware of no way to do this.

brent@...

Edited

OK so I'm still having no joy.

I've taken the TMC/Teensy/D1 off the protoboard. I've checked that D1, Teensy and both TMC have all got correct voltages to the power and ground pins
I've checked that there are no shorts between adjacent pins from wayward solder splatter.
I've checked that the TMC are connected to the Teensy as per easyeda schematics
I've checked the wifi errors on 192.168.0.1 and it gives:

State:
  Axis1 Driver: Ok
  Axis2 Driver: Standstill, Short Gnd AB, Shutdown Over 150C, Pre-warning >120C
  Last Error: Motor/Driver Fault
  Workload: 1.6

This is with no motors connected and I've checked the motor pins and none are shorted to anything. It also gives this error even if axis 2 driver TMC chip is removed. If I remove both chips then it gives me an OK on both axes. If I insert only driver 2 chip then the error stops and I can get movement on that axis, but with a lot of buzzing noise and the Vref is still very low, maxing out at 0.25v.