Topics

Troubleshooting BME280

Jerry

I hooked one up to my max tonight and nothing is showing up on the webpage. The module has SDO tied low for x76 so I am using the BME280_0x76 entry. It boots and when I go to the webpage there is nothing below the time. If I bring the SDO pin high to set to x77 and reboot I get a weather init failed error. While still set high i change the config.h to BME280 and reboot the error goes away but still no weather data.

Any ideas?

Howard Dutton

Is it enabled in the WiFi Addon?

#define DISPLAY_WEATHER               OFF //    OFF, ON Shows weather/ambient conditions (from OnStep) on status page.        Option

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

It is possible that you have a BMP280. I had problems with vendors selling them as BME280's. Except for the markings on the chip itself the two are identical. Howard's code will not work with the BMP280.

larry leonard

Look at the chip itself. If it's anything other UPxx on the code it is a bmp280. So far I have bought 6 supposed bme280 and so far all have been bmp280. Luckily all of the vendors have returned my money.

On Feb 1, 2020 5:57 AM, Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️ <drewbolce@...> wrote:
It is possible that you have a BMP280. I had problems with vendors selling them as BME280's. Except for the markings on the chip itself the two are identical. Howard's code will not work with the BMP280.

Jerry

Howard was right. I didn’t enable the option in the WiFi setup. But now i get garbage saying that it is 200c and the atmospheric pressure of Jupiter.

looked beer a scope and it says UP on it. So that means it is the BMP?

larry leonard

No that means its a bme

On Feb 1, 2020 11:41 AM, Jerry <jerry.biehler@...> wrote:

Howard was right. I didn’t enable the option in the WiFi setup. But now i get garbage saying that it is 200c and the atmospheric pressure of Jupiter.

looked beer a scope and it says UP on it. So that means it is the BMP?

Jerry

Well crap. Bad sensor?

-Jerry

On Feb 1, 2020, at 10:10 AM, larry leonard <tacnuke2011@...> wrote:

No that means its a bme

On Feb 1, 2020 11:41 AM, Jerry <jerry.biehler@...> wrote:
Howard was right. I didn’t enable the option in the WiFi setup. But now i get garbage saying that it is 200c and the atmospheric pressure of Jupiter.

looked beer a scope and it says UP on it. So that means it is the BMP?

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

Edited

The one BME280 I killed did not respond at all. It showed the General Error "Weather not initialized" (not sure if that is the exact message) message on the web server. BTW, I killed mine by breathing on it trying to check the humidity value. Sensitive little buggers.

Be sure to give it plenty of time to settle down and report accurate values.

Jerry

Left it on for about a half hour and no go.

Jerry

I got a few more thinking mine was bad and the new one behaves exactly like the first one.

Any other ideas? Ill hook it to my scope next, it has i2c decode ability so I should be able to see whats going on.

-Jerry

On Feb 1, 2020, at 4:02 PM, Jerry via Groups.Io <jerry.biehler=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Left it on for about a half hour and no go. <58372A0C-D4EB-4CED-9085-12665EA9F852.png>

Howard Dutton

On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 11:43 PM, Jerry wrote:
Any other ideas?
Not really, I thought that would do it.

Just for fun I hooked a BME280 up to my MaxPCB2 I use for testing on my bench (there's one on my G11's MaxPCB2 also) and updated it with the latest OnStep v4 (with matching WiFi Addon):

Howard Dutton

This is wired per the usual... into the socket the DS3231 uses or into the second set of I2C pins the DS3231 provides.

Jerry

Put it on the scope and other than a brief low pulse a few seconds after power up there is no activity on either the clock or data line. I got one of the etc units and enabled that too in config.h.

Am I supposed to enable i2c someplace?

-Jerry

On Feb 9, 2020, at 3:35 PM, Howard Dutton <hjd1964@...> wrote:

This is wired per the usual... into the socket the DS3231 uses or into the second set of I2C pins the DS3231 provides.

Howard Dutton

#define WEATHER                    BME280 //    OFF, BME280 for temperature, pressure, humidity on I2C interface (0x77.)      Option

Is all that's required.

Howard Dutton

It occurred to me to update my libraries... perhaps "they" broke something.

When I did this I didn't get the same symptoms as you, in my case the bme.begin() failed and that was it weather info. went to defaults.  I had to go back in time to the following commit to make things work again.  I'll update the comments in OnStep to point at this:

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_BME280_Library/tree/156a0537d6b21aaab1d1f104a7001a38ca1ffce3

Jerry

I’ll download the latest from Git tonight and see if that makes a difference.

-Jerry

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 09:06 AM, Jerry wrote:
I’ll download the latest from Git tonight and see if that makes a difference.
Note that no change to OnStep code was needed to deal with this, I only updated a comment that points users to the link I provided below.

Jerry

Ah, ok.

Just curious, how does the code define what pins are used for maxpcb2 i2c?

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 02:12 PM, Jerry wrote:
Just curious, how does the code define what pins are used for maxpcb2 i2c?
It doesn't define the pins, there are predefined "Wire" objects, we use Wire1 (SDA1/SCL1) and it's passed to the bme.setup() and the Adafruit library takes it from there.

Jerry

Forget that, I figured it out.