ugrading an EM10 OnstepMini version 1

koal01

Hi,

My EM10 has been Onstepized for several years now with an Onstep mini version 1 with vertical connectors and wifi.
I know that it would be a great challenge maybe impossible to add focusing feature and managing dew heating with input (BME, ds18b20, etc...) and outputs needed.
I have a second mini version 1 with horizontal connectors that i built some time ago for tests  and i was wondering if could use it just for that purpose ?
If you have any suggestions on the possibility to upgrade this setup i would be interested with your ideas

Thank you

koal01

Actually there are many answers in this post

https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/topic/94731850#48296

ETXcetera

On Sun, Nov 27, 2022 at 09:55 AM, koal01 wrote:
https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/topic/94731850#48296
The FYSETC E4 board is the same footprint as the Mini series and has (4) built in stepper drivers. Some are still testing this board but it looks very promising and supports the dew heater. There is also a wireless smart hand controller in development that sounds like may have the weather data needed. I think when development of these two items are complete would be a great option for your mount. Ive been running a MiniPCB for a while now and this is the upgrade path I am taking.

Howard Dutton

The E4 is about the same size as a MiniPCB2.  The MiniPCB1 is smaller and just barely fits the EM10.

ETXcetera

Edited

Shoot I haven't been around long enough for PCB1. I guess surface mounting the E4 over the old controller is the way to go :-).

But really, is it not out of the question with OnstepX to just use an E4 as a focuser and dew heater? On my ED80 scope the case fits in the void made by the tube rings between the dovetail and the tube. Im not sure of the challenges faced with concurrent connections with two Onsteps but Im sure it has been discussed here.

Howard Dutton

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 10:50 PM, ETXcetera wrote:
But really, is it not out of the question with OnstepX to just use an E4 as a focuser and dew heater?
Not at all.  OnStepX was designed from the beginning to be modular where you can compile any combination of Mount, Rotator, Focuser, or Auxiliary Feature.  When one of the sub-components is not enabled it is not just disabled in software, it is removed by the C++ pre-processor so the code isn't even compiled.

When you do this though you loose some integration features so your Auxiliary Feature only design will not be controllable from the Android App or SHC...

The Website plug-in and SWS, however, are adaptive and will display only the relevant pages for AF control.  The ASCOM driver should still work with it too.