Topics

Wemos stopped broadcasting. STM32 no longer programmable.

go.joep@...

I made the Blue Pill kit a few weeks ago and it worked well enough for a few nights (issues with slew rate but nothing related to this post). I setup my telescope last night and the Wemos would not broadcast, and the motors did not move even though I have auto start enabled. I decided to start by trying to re-flash the STM32 (through the external UART USB, not directly on the STM32) and I get the error:

"Failed to init device.
stm32flash 0.4
http://stm32flash.googlecode.com/
Using Parser : Raw BINARY
Interface serial_w32: 115200 8E1"

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the STM32 drivers with no success. Any ideas?  Did I kill both of my boards somehow? Does the Wemos require the STM32 to broadcast?

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 10:47 PM, <go.joep@...> wrote:
Did I kill both of my boards somehow? Does the Wemos require the STM32 to broadcast?
Yes, the WeMos will not start the default ONSTEP access point, or connect to your WiFi network (if you set it to do so), unless it can communicate successfully with the STM32 on the other side and find that OnStep is working normally there.

You can test the WeMos standalone by flashing any of the example sketches from the Arduino IDE. That will verify that the WeMos is still functional.

As for the STM32, you can try flashing it with a blink sketch, but you need a USB to TTL dongle to do so, as by default, its USB connector cannot be used for flashing without a special bootloader.

go.joep@...

Thanks for the help!

Dave Schwartz

Not strictly true. The Wemos will not change the access point name to ONSTEP but will broadcast an SSID that usually begins with ESP_. Check for the appearance of that when you start the controller. Sounds to me like you have a power problem - either your external supply or the voltage regulator.